Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellas:

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cars suspension- got the Ground Control lowering kit, but a performance sway bar- I haven't been able to find.

I was referred to a shop in Port St. Lucie, Florida called Saner Performance Fabrication (www.Sanerperffab.com). They specialize in custom fabrication of parts just like this. I spoke to John, who said they could make a performance rear sway bar for our cars (G1 Coupes) in 7-10 days for $175 for 1, & $145 for multiples after that.

I'm in the process of gathering the necessary template parts, and should have all that together and ready to ship to Saner in the next few days.

I suggest we get a few guys together, split the cost of the template parts, and then take advantage of a group buy to get this hard-to-come-by suspension upgrade.

I'll be doing this myself, regardless of who else wants in... and am willing to arrange it all.

eMail me directly at:
[email protected]
if you're interested.

Matt Ackerman
Prescott, AZ

·
Registered
217 Posts
tooooo much

·
Registered
30 Posts
This price seems reasonable. Sway bar sets for Volvo's run about $300 - so just a rear at $150 is about right. What diameter are they talking about and how will it mount? Keep me posted I might be interested.

·
Registered
386 Posts
HHHHHHMMMMMMMM SWAYBARS!!!!!!!

How come they are only going to make rear sway bars? What about sway bars for the front? What else can they fabricate for G1s? Can they fabricate front and rear strut tower braces? I think we'll get a better group buy on strut tower braces front and rear for G1s. Also how checking into the diagrams Alexi has for his G1 sedan, maybe they can fabricate some for the rest of the G1 sedans and coupes. If you can get them to make front and reat swaybars than I would strongly be interested.:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How come they are only going to make rear sway bars? What about sway bars for the front?

Mr. Bigs: From the research I've done (I've talked to several different people on this, including the fellas at HASports), it seems the rear sway bar is the one the yields the most improvement in handling/suspension-- particularly for street use. If a front sway was put in, it was suggested that we go with a fairly light one, so that the front wheels "stick" to the pavement during moderate to aggressive cornering.

What else can they fabricate for G1s?

Check out their website at Sanerperffab.com.

Can they fabricate front and rear strut tower braces? I think we'll get a better group buy on strut tower braces front and rear for G1s.

Perhaps, but I'm not going THAT far with my suspension upgrades right now. I'm really just wanting the car to not "roll" so much when I swing out to pass someone-- which I seem to be doing a lot of lately ;>

_Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 1990 legends (and probably earlier as well, already have front and rear stabilizer bars according to the specs in the 1990 brochure. I knew there was a front on there, but wasn't certain about the rear. The brochure is clear that there is a front/rear stabilizer bar although it doesn't give any specs as to the diameter. So unless there's some reason to believe that these guys are going to build a stiffer, thicker bar, it doesn't seem to make sense to have them do it.

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul... going with a performance sway bar for the rear is not simply replacing what was there, it's an upgrade, dude!

The new bar will be 22 (or 23?) mm diameter tube steel- creating a ±160% stiffer handling response-- according to John at Saner PF.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Ricdogg!

Nah... not yet, but really itchy to do it.

Just had a bee-u-T-ful custom intercooler installed, and then have a fairly significant upgrade planned for the turbo itself next week. I'm planning on trading out the existing compressor with a larger unit, exchanging the existing turbine for a SMALLER unit (this will give me the same top end power, while greatly reducing the amount of spool-up time-- from 2,500 down to ±1,700rpm.

I've got some cool braking and suspension upgrades also in the works just now... but soon after all that is in and tuned up (and I get my hood scoop in!!), I'm taking her to the track! I'll definiatley post my times here... just hoping to break into the 13's.

_M

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
sweetness. im goin for low 14's
but ill be NOS assisted :)

btw. will this rear swaybar work only on coupes?
i have an 88 sedan. & im not sure if the rear suspension is different where the sway would hook up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RicDogg:

I'm not sure if the spec's for the rear sway are the same for Coupes & Sedans. I'd contact a dealership to verify.

Fellas:

As of this morning there are 4 of us who've expressed some interest in this upgrade. Esti, Brian, Zach & myself. Paul & Mr. Bigs are maybes.

I should have some better $ numbers very soon, and will eMail you all when I do.

_Matt

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm kinda interested, but won't increasing just the rear sway bar make the car "push" more in the corners ??? Am I backwards on this ??
I think just increasing the front makes the back end loose and replacing the back makes the front end push.... From what I've read, you should replace both at the same time...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cdndvl:

I'd be very interested in reading anything you've got on it. You might be right-- but from the research I've done, it's upgrading the rear (on front wheel drive cars like ours) that's going to make a big improvement in handling.

eMail me anything you've read on it at:
[email protected]

Thanks,

_M

·
Registered
94 Posts
tlc

this is off the topic...but are your kyb's going to work with your ground controls?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sway Bar Status

Fellas:

Got this eMail from Ryan Yorck this morning...

Hey Matt! I'm from the G1 acura-legend.com forum and upon searching
for rear-sway bars, I found the posts about the group buy. This was a
couple of weeks ago, just wondering if its still happening. I want in
on this one...depending on how hard its going to be to install it.

So, is it still happening?
-Ryan

Yeah... it's still happening. Here's a chronicle of what's happened so far:

I contacted Saner Performance Fabrication in Florida about the project around the beginning of March. I spoke to John Carlson who said that they could produce a high performance rear sway bar for our cars (G1 Legend Coupes) for $175- $190 for one-- less for multiples after that. John said he would need us to send him an actual bar, as well as some of the other related parts, etc. so they would have a good set of template pieces to work from.

I eMailed John a diagram of the rear underframe of our car on March 7, and John identified the parts he'd need.

After comparing salvaged parts $ to purchasing new, I decided to order them new from the dealership-- and have clean, undamaged parts for Saner to work from. These were shipped on March 21. Total cost of the template parts and shipping: $160.85.

I called John C. at Saner about a week later. He asked me to send him some digital images, as well as key clearance dimensions at a couple of spots he identified. I took the photos and got the dimensions he asked for, and eMailed it to John April 1.

I received this (short) eMail back the next day:

THANKS,
JC

*GROUP RATE PRICE

On April 3rd, I eMailed John to go ahead.

So here's some data on the kit:

The bar itself will be between a 19- 22mm*, #1045** cold-drawn (& cold formed) solid tube steel. The bars will be made "rod-end bearing" at the end links with a vertical forging to accomodate a 3 position adjustable setting (to increase or decrease the bar tension rate). The finish will be powder coated in either red or black. Each guy can choose! Other colors are available, they just take a little longer to produce.

* depends on just how difficult it is to match the tight bends our OEM bars have.
** industry standard for stabilizers, used by bar makers like Energy Suspension, etc.

The "Complete Kit" includes:
a.) powder coated finish custom rear stabilizer bar
b.) one pair new attachment links
c.) one pair new slot & tab style urethane bushings (for the midsection attachments)

Regarding $, it's my hope that in exchange for the footwork and making this happen at a discount for us all, that we can split the cost of the template parts- though I'm not exactly sure how to arrange that, other than just asking everyone to pitch in 1/7th* of the template parts, (*or by the # of guys who end up going in on this). With 7 of us, that's a modest $22.98 each. Not too bad.

Let me know if you want to be in on the Group Buy. Below is who's expressed an interest so far:

1.) Esti: Westchester, NY
2.) Zach: Layton, UT
3.) Brian
4.) Dave: oAkLaNd, CaLi
5.) Ryan
6.) ibane37: Phoenix, AZ
7.) myself: Prescott, AZ
8.) Furball

on the "hmmm, maybe" list are...
- Paul Z.
- Mr. Bigs; Baltimore
- cdndvl; Kelowna, BC, Canada
- RICDOGG; Sacramento

John suggested that, given the custom nature of the project, it would be a best to produce the first bar and get it installed (to make sure it actually fits), before Saner produces a half dozen more for the Group Buy guys. I tend to agree. This will likely delay you guys getting your bars for a few more weeks, but it seems the most responsible way to do this.

John thought he'd be able to devote this coming Sat. to create the design and form the steel. It will take a few more days to finish. If all goes well, the first bar could ship by the end of next week (± 4/18)

You guys probably want an estimate on how long it would take to get your performance bars shipped to you.

OK, let's see--

1.) It will take about a week to receive the prototype bar here in AZ after it ships from Fla. at the end of next week (4/25)
2.) It will probably take me another week to get it installed (5/2)
3.) (Assuming it all fits!), I'll call John C. right away and place the order for the Group Buy guys. It could take another week to 10 days to produce these (5/9- 5/12)
4.) Add ± another week to ship out to you all (5/16- 5/19)

So, realistically... a best case sceanrio could be mid May.

-Matt

[email protected]
928 445 7649

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Sounds great to me-
Count me in

Esti

·
Registered
30 Posts
cdndvl said:
I'm kinda interested, but won't increasing just the rear sway bar make the car "push" more in the corners ??? Am I backwards on this ??
I think just increasing the front makes the back end loose and replacing the back makes the front end push.... From what I've read, you should replace both at the same time...
I just sold my 2001 BMW 330i. One of the mods I had for track use was new sway bars. The BMW had a perfect 50/50 balance. I made the rear a bit firmer (adjustable) to counteract the staggered tire set-up so the car would be neutral in the corners.

A thick rear sway will increase the tendency of the car to oversteer (back end come around). But, in a car with such a heavy front balance (60+%), you will need a huge rear sway to counteract the balance problem. I don't think you can ever get a Legend to feel "neutral" on a track. To eliminate body roll on a Legend, go with a thick front bar.

Now, if you want ultimate FWD traction (not handling)... remove the front sway bar completely.

Sway bars compromise suspension travel. On the track, firm sways reduce roll, but also reduce ultimate traction.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Emission:

Well, you're correct to some degree. The larger rear bar will increase [oops-- I stand corrected... "REDUCE"] the amount of traction at the rear, which will make the car go toward 'oversteer'. But you'll never go to too much oversteer with a car as front heavy as our Legends.

My interest isn't in completely eliminating body roll, nor is it primarily for track use. Keeping ultimate traction through hard cornering isn't as much of a concern to me as just stiffening up my cars notoriously poor body roll for the slash and thrust daily driving I tend to do around here.

-Matt

1 - 20 of 49 Posts