Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/Gals:

First let me say I fall behind most of you in enthuisiasm in shelling top dollar for replacing and sprucing up things on this transportation car I have. Here is my problem with the stock bose system on this 92 Legend LS Bose.

The front speakers sound bad (the guy who I bought from says he got them replaced recently). The rear speakers are dead. I got to the delaer for the freebie amp replacement and they tell me they replaced but the speakers are dead anyway.

I bought some 6 and half inch Infinity 652i speakers from an Acura MDX guy (You may have seen these on ebay 2 weeks ago) for cheap. Crutchfield says these are 4 ohm and fit the car with minor modification.

The rears are 6x9 technically and I can live with fitting the 6.5s. The fronts are 6.75 I think and I dont know if 6.5s fit (I dont want to sweat 3 hours by pulling door stuff apart to later know it wont work).

Now here is the kicker. I bought a Infinity Subwoofer , which came from the Acura MDX. Is there a way I can hook it up somewhere with a trunk enclosure for the 10 inch sub? The key is I dont want to replace the head unit. How do I adda sub to the existing setup?

I will thank each of you who answer these questions and pray god for your health and wealth.. : ) Thanks in advance

Logikman, not there yet as an enthuisiast.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
to add more stupid Questions, to my posting...

If I have a central Rear Amp from Bose, Can I add a non powered Woofer without an Amp for the Sub woofer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gosh people seem to hate me for not being an enthuisiast. No opinions, in this forum? unbelievable.

·
2,879 Posts
Re: to add more stupid Questions, to my posting...

I'm not 100% sure on this one but If you have a Bose system and what to outfit it w/a sub you'll have to get one thats self powered. B/c the Bose amps wont be able to feed into the woofer.
logikman said:
If I have a central Rear Amp from Bose, Can I add a non powered Woofer without an Amp for the Sub woofer?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Forget about adding the sub if it is not self powered unless you are willing to add an aftermarket amp to your system.

A 6.5" speaker will fit in the so called 6.75" speaker braket up front. Think about it. It is much easier to fit somting slightly smaller into a larger opening then to go the other way around. In this case, the plastic mouting speaker braker has a rim opening that fits the 6.75" speaker, but the OEM speaker depth is rather shallow. To fit an aftermarket speaker in that bracket, you typically will have to cut out the back portion of the plastic basket to allow room for the aftermarkets speakers magnet. If you are fitting a 6.5" speaker in there, you will notice that the screw holes will not line up, and it will just be a little smaller. What you do is simply fill in all the void arear on the rim of the speaker mounting bracket. I used epoxy to do this becaue that is what I had laying around. Fiber glass, body filler and similar products will also work. But those 5 minute quick drying epoxy is very effective. Anyway, what you will have left is a solid rim to mount the 6.5" speaker to and make your own holes that match the 6.5" speaker. You will have to center the 6.5" speakaer directly in the center of this bracket, or you will notice that there will be viable space that will create air leaks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Damn I wish I would have found this posting before puling that door apart to find out that my 6.5 would not fit that bracket. I didnt have time to cut it and make a new hole, but thats what its going to come down to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had to go to an audio shop to get my JL Audio 6.5s installed. the OE black plastic bracket couldn't be used at all. They made a new bracket out of hard wood.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They charged me about $40 to make the brackets and install the speakers, BTW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts