Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggest you all inspect your differential seal for seeping/leaking. I last checked mine in May and now it is seeping. Vehicle has 85k miles.

As I write, the seal is being replaced ($520 at dealer). Although my local dealer was somewhat of an alarmist in recommending immediate seal replacement (i.e. reported two seized differentials replaced w/in last 6 mos) it would be a major pain to clean the case, check the differential oil level, and replenish as needed every 3 - 4 weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know the side effects of not replacing a leaking differental seal? Will there be a loss of hp or other things such as transmissions parts will start to deteriorate and eventually fail? $520 is alot of money, couldn't we just check the transmission fluid every 3 days or so and then just top it up?

·
has left the building
7,205 Posts
PB, had mine done @ 179K miles last month for right at $600. The way I noticed mine was the distinct aroma of burning gear oil where it had leaked onto the exhaust. Trunccs, unless you want to crawl under your car every 3-4 days & check your diff fluid level (which is gear oil, not ATF), I would suggest you get the seal checked & replaced if necessary. If your diff seizes, you won't be going anywhere! Later---

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are two plugs: Lower is for draining, upper for refilling. Vehicle must be level. Fill the upper hole until diff fluid just seeps over lip of opening. Major pain. Unless you have a lift or a lot of free time, this is one repair which has to be performed ASAP or frequently monitored as you don't want to run your diff. dry.

·
Registered
972 Posts
LPB said:
There are two plugs: Lower is for draining, upper for refilling. Vehicle must be level. Fill the upper hole until diff fluid just seeps over lip of opening. Major pain. Unless you have a lift or a lot of free time, this is one repair which has to be performed ASAP or frequently monitored as you don't want to run your diff. dry.
what tool do you use to refill?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shahavchik said:

what tool do you use to refill?
There is no "tool". Vehicle must be level and you need to use some method (? turkey baster) to pour the diff fluid. I did mine only once (no lift) and I rigged up a length of vinyl hose. Looked like an I.V. The diff only holds 1.11 qts so you can see the importance of it being kept full and at spec.

·
Registered
972 Posts
LPB said:

There is no "tool". Vehicle must be level and you need to use some method (? turkey baster) to pour the diff fluid. I did mine only once (no lift) and I rigged up a length of vinyl hose. Looked like an I.V. The diff only holds 1.11 qts so you can see the importance of it being kept full and at spec.
Cool, this is what I meant by "tool". I guess I need to go to a grocery store to get it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.