Acura Legend Forum banner

81 - 100 of 178 Posts

·
MAD DOG!
1,662 Posts
does anyone know if you have to use the rear window antenna? i gots a sony deck installed and i think they didnt hook it up cuz now my reception sucks... i was thinking about just shaving my antenna mast off and was wondering what i could do to still have good reception without it...

·
AKA Smartjay28
5,671 Posts
dgandul said:
does anyone know if you have to use the rear window antenna? i gots a sony deck installed and i think they didnt hook it up cuz now my reception sucks... i was thinking about just shaving my antenna mast off and was wondering what i could do to still have good reception without it...
there are 2 plugs for the antenna. one is the big plug(main extending attenna) and the other is a smaller version(same size as the GM ant.)
usualy, the extending antenna is used while the window ant(small plug) is not used.

if you wished to use the window antenna, just get the GM10 antenna adapter.
good luck

·
MAD DOG!
1,662 Posts
thanks johnny... but if i do use just the window antenna is the reception gonna be good or what? cuz in hawaii we got a lot of mountains and i hate not being able to listen to the traffic report

·
AKA Smartjay28
5,671 Posts
dgandul said:
thanks johnny... but if i do use just the window antenna is the reception gonna be good or what? cuz in hawaii we got a lot of mountains and i hate not being able to listen to the traffic report
the extending any will be better then the window antenna

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
jmckell said:
Say you have a 2100 head unit and the 200watt amp and the 4 2ohm speakers. Can you keep the 2100 head unit and replace the amp with an aftermarket amp and change the 2ohm speakers to 4ohm?

If that is done will there be any problems?
Sorry to open up an old thread but this question was never answered
. I want to keep my factory HU(2100), straight to an aftermarket amp then to 4ohm speakers. Possible?
BTW, Iread this whole thread before asking.

·
Registered
95 Posts
with both antenna's can you splice the smaller one into the larger one so both can be used? Also... i've looked through this tread and never got a solid solid answer. Will the 'remote' blue wire on aftermarket units splice into our steering wheel audio controls and work fine?

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
LudeAEM said:
with both antenna's can you splice the smaller one into the larger one so both can be used? Also... i've looked through this tread and never got a solid solid answer. Will the 'remote' blue wire on aftermarket units splice into our steering wheel audio controls and work fine?
that blue remote wire actually goes to your amplifiers...

its a "remote" turn on lead...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the work put into the stereo FAQ! Nice job! But I, with only basic wiring of stereos experience, have a question about the 2200 unit in my wife's 92 L model. The speakers have progressively died, and now the radio produces only a loud hum. I am assuming from reading posts over the years that the amp is the problem. Does your writeup on bypassing the Bose amp apply to our "standard" system? Or is our amp integrated with the head unit? If I can bypass the amp, what kind of connectors are needed-just flat blades? Thanks, Dave

·
Call me Mister
688 Posts
vayankee said:
Thanks for the work put into the stereo FAQ! Nice job! But I, with only basic wiring of stereos experience, have a question about the 2200 unit in my wife's 92 L model. The speakers have progressively died, and now the radio produces only a loud hum. I am assuming from reading posts over the years that the amp is the problem. Does your writeup on bypassing the Bose amp apply to our "standard" system? Or is our amp integrated with the head unit? If I can bypass the amp, what kind of connectors are needed-just flat blades? Thanks, Dave
Your headunit has an internal amp- the bypass issue doesn't apply.
Since the factory paper cone speakers have come to the end of their service life and need replacing, I would start there. You can use standard aftermarket (4 ohm) speakers.
If that doesn't solve the problem, it will be time to repair/replace the factory HU or swap out for an aftermarket unit. There are adapter plugs that make it easy to hook up an aftermarket HU should you choose that route.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok i know i have the 2100 series stereo in a 92 legend but not sure of model yet, i havent picked the car up yet, so im not familiar with the car yet... the tape deck doesnt say premium on it either... i got kind of confused with the whole FAQ on the stereo, but i think im starting to understand it. Main question is, on the 2100 stereo bose non-premium with the 2ohm loads per speaker, what is the best way to replace the factory head unit... my front two speakers are gone and im assuming it is a faulty factory amp and not the speakers... so would i have to also replace all the speakers, headunit and bypass the amp? how would i bypass the amp? thanks....

*edit* i think i pretty much figured it out, LOL just needed to do a little more reading, so i basically just take wires that run into the amp and connect it to the wires that are on the other side of the amp, just color match? and once i replace the headunit, i will have to replace the speakers also right? thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
i put in a dvd head unit into my 92 acura legend. wen i turn the volume up the display gets brighter and dimmer. is there anyone who can help me out on this one?? thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you remove the rear deck to access the rear speakers? I spent a few minutes in the trunk trying to figure it out and came up with nothing. The manual says "remove grills" but they don't seem to want to come off either. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
370 Posts
On our '92 L model, the rear speakers' grille are hel in place by 4 "tongues" 2 in front and 2 in back. Slide a putty knife (maybe cover the blade with electrical tape to be safe) along the very small gap and you will find those plastic tongues. If you press one of those tongues inward you will see more gap appear, and do likewise with the other tongues. On the amplifier, are you sure there is one on your car? Our L model, with Bose 2200, has the amp in the stereo unit itself, nothing at the rear seat area. I just pulled that unit out and replaced it with a Pioneer from Crutchfield. No damage done along the way, but figuring out the proper installation pieces to use took time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are four different stereo systems that came in the different Legend trims.
1991-1995 L ------- Standard Bose
1993-1995 LS ------ Bose Premium
1994-1995 GS ------ Bose Premium
1995 SE ------------ Bose Premium

Standard Bose
The Standard Bose system includes the 2200 model AM/FM/Cassette deck, ...

Bose*
The Bose system uses the 2100 model AM/FM/Cassette tuner and an 80Wx4 (peak power) amplifier mounted behind the rear seat.

Bose Premium*
The Bose Premium system includes a 2100 AM/FM/Cassette tuner with "Premium" printed on the cassette slot and a 200Wx4 (peak power) amplifier mounted behind the rear seat.
Hi Alex et al,

I've owned my 95 SE since 98 and this is the first time I've visited this forum. I was in search for a way to repair my Bose amp that is now making horrible loud noise. From my previous experience with Bose systems, I am quite sure that it is the amp that is my problem.

According to the model of my stereo, it is a 2200, which means that it is a standard stereo and not the premium version. Just thought that you may find it useful.

Secondly, I'd like to find out how to remove the amp. According to other website, it is located below the head unit.

TIA for your help!

·
Call me Mister
688 Posts
According to the model of my stereo, it is a 2200, which means that it is a standard stereo and not the premium version. Just thought that you may find it useful.

Secondly, I'd like to find out how to remove the amp. According to other website, it is located below the head unit.
Unless your car is an L model that has been modified to look like an SE or the stereo was swapped out for the lower line factory standard BOSE system, it came from the factory equipped with the factory BOSE Premium system, with the amp located behind the rear seatback.

Removal instructions here...
http://ww2.legendtuner.com:8080/LEGENDtuner/repairs/amplifier/amp.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless your car is an L model that has been modified to look like an SE or the stereo was swapped out for the lower line factory standard BOSE system, it came from the factory equipped with the factory BOSE Premium system, with the amp located behind the rear seatback.

Removal instructions here...
http://ww2.legendtuner.com:8080/LEGENDtuner/repairs/amplifier/amp.html
Thanks for the quick reply G! The removal process is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm fairly sure that it is a factory SE. I purchased the car from an elderly gent. when the car had only 16k miles. So I find it hard to believe that he had changed the stereo.

I'll go home and remove the back seat to see if it has an amp there, but the stereo is for sure a model 2200. :confused:

You've been a great help. Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Folks,

Great thread!

I will be replacing my speakers (finally) on my 03 LS Coupe. I was going with the Kappas 6x9s and 6.5s - 3 ways - 2 ohms, keep the amp and head unit. It seems like this route is the lease trouble but should improve the quality of sound a lot. Correct? Does anyone have this setup? How does this sound?

My CD changer just went out.
I picked up a Mbus adaptor for my iPod. I am debating whether or not to replace the CD changer with the iPod or to purchase a new changer. They are very reasonable $90 (used) - $150 (new). I don't think the quality of the iPod sound will be the same as a CD BUT we're in a car…Will I be able to hear the difference? Does anyone have either of these setup? How does this sound?

Is there a Mbus splitter? Something where I can have 2 sources and toggle back and forth from CD to iPOD?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

81 - 100 of 178 Posts