Acura-legend.com banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acura Radio Question

I just bought a 93 Legend that some one had installed a Panasonic Multi Channel in dash colour TV/DVD Receiver in . I got the car for a song because it was sitting idle for a year and a half and some one broke in and stole the dash unit . The hide away unit is still in the trunk with a Kenwood 10 disc CD/DVD changer and a 1500 watt power amp and motorcycle battery . All are still wired up but inoperable with out the dash unit . The installers of this stuff hacked up the factory wiring pretty bad . Instead of splicing things neatly they just cut away like butchers . Consequently there are a few things that don't work on the vehicle . Like the cruise control , courtesy lights and horn . The security system is also out . They installed an aftermarket security system with equal butchering and it doesn't work either . Other than that the car runs like a dream and is in great shape .
My question is about restoring the original sound system and wiring . I don't need 1500 watts and would be quite happy with a factory system that allowed the other defunct functions of the car to work .
I bought an Acura AM/FM cassette and CD player from a junk yard and was wondering if that unit requires an amp unit or is self contained ? If so , do I need the exact amp from the car it came from or can I use the 1500 watt one in my car ? The Acura unit is from a 95 Integra but fits into my dash perfectly ( I got tired of looking at that big hole ). I also found the original 93factory unit with only a cassette player in it . My local dealer supplies me with the security codes as long as I show him a receipt for the units . I know that the original unit has it's amp attached to it . It is a 2200 Bose unit . Will either of these units work if they are not connected to the factory security system in case I find that it has been removed ?
I don't need much more than to be able to listen to some music and a few ball games from time to time to be happy so exotic systems are of no interest to me . If I can't use the 95 unit with the CD player in it , I will be content to play my mp3 player through the cassette deck via an adapter .
Any comments from my fellow Legend owners would be much appreciated .
Cheers ,
gtrguru

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 93 Legend L sedan and all the speakers in my car seem to be blown out (not sure how that happened, just bought it). I have the standard Bose system it looks like.. I just ordered some Apline Type R 6x9s for the trunk and was wondering about the ins and outs of installing them. Does anyone know what kind of RMS output the factory bose amp gives? I see 80 watt peak, but what is that RMS?

Also, this could be a stupid question, but could I route all the power from the amp to the two 6x9 speakers? Like if there are four channels, could I combine them into two for twice the power in each channel? I don't have any replacements for the front speakers and would like to give all the power to the two 6x9s that I ordered because they can definately handle it. I ordered pretty good speakers because I plan on getting an amp and sub further down the road and get a high-end system going. Thanks for the help.

·
has left.
4,454 Posts
I have a 93 Legend L sedan and all the speakers in my car seem to be blown out (not sure how that happened, just bought it). I have the standard Bose system it looks like.. I just ordered some Apline Type R 6x9s for the trunk and was wondering about the ins and outs of installing them. Does anyone know what kind of RMS output the factory bose amp gives? I see 80 watt peak, but what is that RMS?

Also, this could be a stupid question, but could I route all the power from the amp to the two 6x9 speakers? Like if there are four channels, could I combine them into two for twice the power in each channel? I don't have any replacements for the front speakers and would like to give all the power to the two 6x9s that I ordered because they can definately handle it. I ordered pretty good speakers because I plan on getting an amp and sub further down the road and get a high-end system going. Thanks for the help.
Issues like this can stand being in their own new thread. :) Welcome to the board.

You're kinda doing that a little backwards: order FRONT speakers first and replace the rear fill speakers after the woofer if you're still not happy with the sound for some reason.

Merging 4 channels into 2 is called bridging. I don't believe the factory amp supports it.

If all 4 speakers blew out at once, the odds are much higher that the amplifier or head unit is to blame than the speakers themselves. Unless you're getting sounds to the speakers there and it just sounds awful, prepare yourself for the fact that your speakers may arrive and your system still will not play.

·
GS/LS Conversion
2,481 Posts
The tweeters are a non-standard size and there are no known direct-fit replacements.
^^^^^^^^

What to do? My rear deck tweeters are blown. What tweeters do you guy's have for replacements?

·
has left.
4,454 Posts
The tweeters are a non-standard size and there are no known direct-fit replacements.
^^^^^^^^

What to do? My rear deck tweeters are blown. What tweeters do you guy's have for replacements?
I advise you create a new thread here in the audio section :thumbsup:

The only thing that's gonna be easy to deal with are OEMs from the same system. Is this in your L or LS?

In the meantime, I'd say disconnect them (there are quick connections that I believe you can get to from the trunk) and see if you like the sound. I don't expect the change in resistance to be large enough to upset your amplifier (but a word of CYA for me: I can't make promises that it won't!) SQ shouldn't be affected much. Honestly, my vote is that if disconnecting them doesn't throw your sound too far out of balance, leave 'em disconnected and forget about them!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Issues like this can stand being in their own new thread. :) Welcome to the board.

You're kinda doing that a little backwards: order FRONT speakers first and replace the rear fill speakers after the woofer if you're still not happy with the sound for some reason.

Merging 4 channels into 2 is called bridging. I don't believe the factory amp supports it.

If all 4 speakers blew out at once, the odds are much higher that the amplifier or head unit is to blame than the speakers themselves. Unless you're getting sounds to the speakers there and it just sounds awful, prepare yourself for the fact that your speakers may arrive and your system still will not play.
Yes the reason why I didn't order the 6.5s for the front first was because a friend of mine is selling me used type r's pretty cheap. Otherwise I would have ordered them first. I'm also interested in replacing the headunit with an aftermarket. I understand I have to then replace all the wiring to the amp if I go that route so I would probably just replace the amp as well to get a little mroe power to the speakers. Is there a post on here that I may not have seen that details how to 1, replace the headunit, 2, replace the wiring from the HU to the amp to the speakers, and 3, replace the amp. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radio Code??

Hey i have a 1991 legends ls and there is a code you need to make the radio work.
now i bought the car used and unfortunatly the man i bought it from did not know the code. i was wondering if any of ya'll could look up the code for me.
i have the serial number and all the paper work for the car if you need it.
this would be an awesome favor so pleaaase help me out.:yes:

thanks,
kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem i am having is that.
last night my radio and Clock had cut out at the same time. But i noticed if i connect the radio power wire (red) and the memory wire (yellow) they work but of course i loose all presets and clock memory every time i turn the car off. Its almost as i lost all memory in my car. Can anybody help me?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hey i have a 1991 legends ls and there is a code you need to make the radio work.
now i bought the car used and unfortunatly the man i bought it from did not know the code. i was wondering if any of ya'll could look up the code for me.
i have the serial number and all the paper work for the car if you need it.
this would be an awesome favor so pleaaase help me out.:yes:
You should be able to get the code from the dealership if you've got your VIN and the serial # from the radio (assuming the head unit hasn't been swapped ...).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The problem i am having is that.
last night my radio and Clock had cut out at the same time. But i noticed if i connect the radio power wire (red) and the memory wire (yellow) they work but of course i loose all presets and clock memory every time i turn the car off. Its almost as i lost all memory in my car. Can anybody help me?
Have you checked for blown fuses? There should be a 7.5A fuse in the under-hood fuse box that would cut the constant battery voltage to the HU if it's blown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amp or no amp

Hi guys. Read your post on bypassing the stock amp and the location of it. My car is a 94 legend L. I replaced the stock HU with a alpine, the stock was a bose tape deck and read 4ohm on the side, I also have the stock cd changer in the back. The alpine worked for a day then the sound quite. Bench tested the alpine and worked fine so i thought the amp went, problem is i don't believe there is a amp in this car because where you say the stock bose amp should be is another case with four pluges going in to it and on the pass side another case with three plugs. So not sure what the problem is yet. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Questions regarding aftermarket installations

As my standard BOSE head unit is almost completely spent, I'm planning to replace it with an aftermarket system. Now I'm not sure whether my anti-theft system is aftermarket as well. My guess is that it's factory installed as I don't see anything added under the steering wheel or elsewhere in the cabin, and the anti-theft lights on the stereo head unit and door are still flashing.

Questions
1) How will an aftermarket head unit impact the anti-theft system?
2) How will it work with the power antenna (which I'm replacing as well)?
3) There is a 11cm x 19cm space were I to remove the head unit. Can anyone recommend a stereo/cd changer that fits in this space?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
As my standard BOSE head unit is almost completely spent, I'm planning to replace it with an aftermarket system. Now I'm not sure whether my anti-theft system is aftermarket as well. My guess is that it's factory installed as I don't see anything added under the steering wheel or elsewhere in the cabin, and the anti-theft lights on the stereo head unit and door are still flashing.

Questions
1) How will an aftermarket head unit impact the anti-theft system?
2) How will it work with the power antenna (which I'm replacing as well)?
3) There is a 11cm x 19cm space were I to remove the head unit. Can anyone recommend a stereo/cd changer that fits in this space?

Thanks for your time!
1) The OEM alarm will work just fine.

2) The power antenna will work just fine, every aftermarket deck I've ever seen has an output for raising a power antenna.

3) If you just want a standard sized HU then go to walmart or something and get a kit that'll fit the opening. While you're at it make sure you find a harness adapter so you don't have to hack up the OEM stereo wiring.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I have the standard bose system and my rear speakers for whatever reason have stopped working so I plan on replacing the front and rear. I'm not familiar with speakers and ohms and so forth and I'm still a little confused. So should I or can I buy speakers that are 2 ohm? or should I buy 4 ohm speakers? Any recommendations, I dont need anything crazy, just something to replace the stock, at least something as good if not better than stock, my headunit is alpine btw.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
A stock system in a '93 L should have 4-ohm speakers, so you should be able to replace the stock ones with pretty much anything on a store shelf.

Whether it'll actually solve your problem or not I couldn't tell you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can someone explain to me about the two way three way and four way speakers..not quite sure what that relates to.
Two way speaker, there are two kinds of drivers, A woofer for low frequencies and another driver for mid and high frequencies. In a three way speaker there are separate low, mid and high frequency drivers. Typical crossover frequencies might be 500Hz and 4kHz. Four-ways combine a woofer, a mid range, a tweeter, and a super tweeter.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question??

I bought my daughter a 1991 Acura Legend for her first car. There were no owner's manuals with the purchase.

Since I purchased it, the battery has died. I replaced the battery, and now I get this "Code" error when turning on the radio. I found in an online owner's manual that this is an anti-theft feature of the vehicle.

Is it possible for me to go to an Acura Dealer, and possibly get this code reset or get the original code?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys i have a question, well more like need some assistance. I have a 1992 Legend, base model, and when i got the car i realized that the previous owner had an aftermarket radio and amp and what not installed. They removed the amp and new radio but left all the wiring. So i have the rca cables, ground and remote cables still hooked up inside the car but just the factory Bose stereo to reconnect. I'm trying to figure out how to reconnect the factory rear speakers... would anybody know how to do that? I reattached the harness wires to the factory Bose system, so my front speakers work but my rears dont. Obviously they had been attached to the amp by the previous owner. I'm not very electrical savvy but it doesnt seem very hard to just reconnect the wires, im just unsure if i'm supposed somehow run the rear speaker wires through floor and side of my car back into the harness that attaches to the Bose stereo or what??? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

141 - 160 of 178 Posts