Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we put synthetic tranny fluid into our manual trannies? A family member who did a lot of offroading swears by the stuff and recomended it to me. Just wondering if we can do that and what brands are the best... thanx:cool:

·
Registered
996 Posts
As stated above, Redline. Do NOT use synthetic motor oil ... it's too slippery for the synchros. Also, I've gotton mixed signals on whether to use Redline MTL or Redline MT90. I've been using MTL, but I think I'll try the MT90 (I think it's more viscous, and hence better for my aging synchros)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is redline synthetic or just high performance oil then?? Where can I get it and what type should I buy..?? Thanx guys...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Redline is synthetic, but it's specially formulated for manual transmissions. As to the type (MTL or MT90) you'll have to get an answer from someone else (as I said, I use MTL now, nut i might switch). Anyone have a final say on this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have used the MTL. I don't know about the MT90, but I have nothing but praise for the MTL.

·
Registered
89 Posts
And the source for Redline on line is?

Nothing within miles of me.
Online? Working with Mobil One in the gear box. Better than what was in there but still balky into 3rd gear...synchros!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your mobile 1 synthetic? Also, My six speed shifts very easily from 2nd to 3rd, but down shifting is very shakey. Sometimes, it does not want to even go in, especially from 5th to 3rd. Is this your case? And others who read this please respond as well.... as I am just trying to get a feel for my car... Its really the only gear I have trouble with... Thanx.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mckenzie91

Try double clutching when skipping a gear or by better matching the RPMs with start of the RPMs that you will be in when your trans engages 3rd.

KNLNGUS

PS. MT90, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you enlighten me on this technique as I am a newbie to drving standard? I heard that double clutching phrase in Fast and Furious..... are you trying to get me to do some hollywood type stuff:D :p ? Thanx W.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Double-clutching, although it will save your clutch in the long run takes way too long to master properly, and the gains a minimal on modern cars. Simply matching the revs is much easier, and quite effective. When going from 5th to 3rd, simply hit (blip) the gas with the clutch in to bring it up to where the 3rd will be ... probably like 4-5k (depending on your speed). You will get a feel for the rpms in each gear at various speeds, and the rev matching will become second nature. You should never use your engine as a braking method ... this eats clutches for breakfast!

Also, on mine, it's the 1-2 shift that is rough ... none of the downshifts are a problem (except into 1st, which I never do). So, it seems that our various minor shift problems are due to individual wear, and not a property of all Legend boxes.

likeparty: If the Mobil 1 is a synthetic motor oil, I can't imagine how you can drive your car. I had sythetic 10w40 in for a few days (the mechanic screwed up) and I could barely shift. It would grind in most gears, because the syncros couldn't grab (too slippery!) I switched to MTL, and everthing is fine.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KNLNGUS..... I will have to study that page... it is pretty advanced for my simple brain to handle while I am driving around on ice in this deepfreeze/blizzard we are experiencing... thanx though, some very useful info there that I never was exposed to before.:)

Scotch.... By engine braking you mean gearing down right.... like when coasting in 5th at like 80km/h, gearing down through 4, 3 and 2 to slow down to a stop... I was told to always gear down because it saves brakes. I do a combo of both.. a little downshift and feather the brakes a bit... hmmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
Scotch.... By engine braking you mean gearing down right.... like when coasting in 5th at like 80km/h, gearing down through 4, 3 and 2 to slow down to a stop... I was told to always gear down because it saves brakes. I do a combo of both.. a little downshift and feather the brakes a bit... hmmmmm:rolleyes:
Yes, that's what I mean. What you've been told is correct ... it will save the brakes. However, consider the price of new brake pads vs the cost of a new clutch. I think the choice is clear :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why trouble with Mob1 in 5 speed? And where to get RedLine online?

ScotcH said:
likeparty: If the Mobil 1 is a synthetic motor oil, I can't imagine how you can drive your car. I had sythetic 10w40 in for a few days (the mechanic screwed up) and I could barely shift. It would grind in most gears, because the syncros couldn't grab (too slippery!) I switched to MTL, and everthing is fine. [/B]
The manual calls for regular motor oil. I bought the car and the bozo I bought it from (either intentionally...hoping to mask the 3rd gear synchro issue or as I hope out of ignorance put 90W gear oil in both the diffy and tranny. I drained and filled with regular oil twice with no improvement or worsening then converted to the MOB1 hoping to resolve the synchro issue. I am here to tell you that my 5 speed 91 shifts just fine with MOB1. The 3rd gear synchro is still a bit balky but somewhat better than with the bunghole's gear oil and the regular oil.
As to the other's comments, of course I rev shift matching the RPM's with the gearing going up and down through 3rd with good results.
I would gladly invest in 3 quarts of Redline MTL oil and re-change the tranny again...but where can I get the stuff?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
Is your mobile 1 synthetic? Also, My six speed shifts very easily from 2nd to 3rd, but down shifting is very shakey. Sometimes, it does not want to even go in, especially from 5th to 3rd. Is this your case? And others who read this please respond as well.... as I am just trying to get a feel for my car... Its really the only gear I have trouble with... Thanx.
Yes MOBIL ONE is a synthetic oil. Please read all the posts. I am not having problems with my 5 speed but others claim they did or do have problems.
As to the shifting question: You are seeing age related 3rd gear synchro issues with your shifting...nothing catastrophic, just frustrating. When you go from 2nd to 3rd your RPM's are dropping as you press the clutch and release the gas. As the RPM's match up, the car will slip easily into gear regardless of the age and condition of your synchros.
When down shifting like 5th or 4th to 3rd, you have the opposite situation. In order to match the engine to tranny RPM's you would have to rev up while the clutch in pushed in. Say you are in 5th at 30 (around 1700 RPM) and want to drop to 3rd, you would need to rev to around 3000 RPM to "match". Check out some of the links provided in this forum regarding speed shifting (what we called it in the 70's).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What you guys said about rev matching is pretty neat... I have tried it for the past few days and it seems to work really well. I have noticeed that the shifts are so much easier. I have also noticed that the shifting is smoother when the revs are higher then when lower. 3rd gear seems to be tough when it wants to, but am slowly getting used to it. I can live with it when I am downshifting, but it sucks when I am coasting in N and I want to start going again and I cannot get it in:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts