Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this thread is only for G2 owners with real HIDs(Ballasts and D2 Bulbs)...No "I wish I had HIDs" replies allowed:) I am wanting to get an idea of how many of us actually have HIDs...

So check in and reply with

1. What kind of kit you have
  2. Where you bought your kit
  3. How much you paid for it
  4. How long you have had it
  5. a nice pic or two of your kit(s) in action
  6. and any other info you feel like sharing
    [/list=1]

Ok, my turn...I have OEM BMW X5 HID Projectors mounted into my G2 Legend Sedan headlights....I also have Sylvania Xenarc HID Foglights...

I paid $500 for my X5's and $500 for my Xenarcs...I bought the Xenarcs direct from Sylvania at www.sylvania.com I have had the projectors about 2 months and the fogs I think 6 or more...

This pic isn't that good, but it is a pic of before I had my X5's but when I did have my Xenarcs...You can see how purple they are compared to my pointless "superwhite" bulbs...

Here are two pics of my X5 projectors and what my Xenarc fogs look like in the day...

·
Registered
238 Posts
1. Senko "Crystal Purple-White" D9006 H.I.D Conversion Kit
2. A homie Hookup;) .
3. About 400.00
4. About 3 months
Crappy Pic 1

Crappy Pic 2

And 1 good one :D. Sorry had my lights off.

These pics do ZERO justice to what the lights look like in person. I will try and get some better ones to put up later.
I love em, I think the blue/purple tint they have looks good with the Cobalt Blue color of the car. Its like night and day compared to my Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs that I had previously.

G

·
Ok, well here goes....

I have had a pretty wierd experience so far with my HID's. I love them to death, but I have just been switching around bulbs a bit to find the exact ones that I like. Right now I'm happy with what I have until I get some more money and finish some things that I'm working on and then I'll get the Philips 9006 D2R Ultinons.

What I currently have in my car is a philips 4300K hid kit. I picked up the whole thing for $250 (I got the hookups :D). I started out with one Sylvania Xenarc bulb in the right and a Philips bulb in the left. They originally came from a wrecked car, I hated how yellow the sylvania one was and they just didn't match so I told my friend that gave it to me that it was a bad deal because he had promised me matching bulbs. Next he gave me a Philips bulb to replace the Sylvania, it was 5000K though so it was even whiter than the first philips bulb that I had in. Grrrrr, I kinda got angry at this point. He found me to matching 4300K D2S philips bulbs eventually which is what I have now.

I'll tell you what kinda bulbs are in the pictures below, but it's hard to tell what I mean by them not matching from a camera, but it's more apparent in real life.

This was the first pic I took of my HID's (halogen on the left, sylvania 4100K on right):

Here is one with the Philips 4300K on left and Philips 5000K on right (if you look hard you can see how the right one is a lot whiter):

Here are the bulbs that I have right now:

Here is one of the bulbs right now on the right and on the left are some Sylvania 7000K bulbs that I though about getting but decided not to because I decided there were other things that I needed more:

Hope you guys enjoyed that little show.... I'll come back and edit this later and throw in some more pics.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
Matt Whelan said:

[/list=1]

1. 1. Philips ballast with generic 6K D2S bulbs.
    2. supremepowerparts.com
    3. $540
    4. about 6 months
    5. sorry, no pics
    6. decent beam pattern, like the OEM one, just brighter. I also bought some ballast holders from suvlights.com. Then I mounted them on the high beam covers. It's very secure, is symmetrical on both sides, and looks OEM.

It's one of the few mods that will impress non car savvy friends. Most don't know/care about intake, chip, etc.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Me Too!

1. Phillips Ballasts with K2 6000k 9006 D2S bulbs

2. bought 2 phillips ballasts with 4300k phillips bulbs for $300 from someone on the forums. Sold the phillips bulbs for $100, bought k2 6000k bulbs on ebay for $150. So I got 6000k kit for $350.

3. $350

4. 3 weeks so far

5. no pics yet, but will have soon

6. The beam pattern looks great, just like oem with 2 distinct beams, just much more intense, whiter and brighter.

I really love it, it's the best mod money can buy for your legend.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Matt Whelan said:
Ok, this thread is only for G2 owners with real HIDs(Ballasts and D2 Bulbs)...No "I wish I had HIDs" replies allowed:) I am wanting to get an idea of how many of us actually have HIDs...

So check in and reply with

[/list=1]

1. 1) Xenon Lamps Co. (No longer in production)
    2) Same as above
    3) About the same as everyone else is paying right now.
    4) About 2 1/2 years
    5) Pictures are below
    6) I've tried HIDs in the UDSM optics and HIDs in my custom 1 piece JDM lights. This new optics I have is 100X better IMHO. It no longer has the unusual hot spotting that the USDM optics gave, but has a nive wide, beam pattern that is evenly filled in with light from close foreground (about 1.5-2 feet from the bumper) to infinity (as far as the light output will reach. It slowley fades the further out you get.

It is very hard to capture what the naked eye views with these HID pictures, so I will try and decribe each picture as I post them. Also, all pictures where taken after fully being warmed up. Id say the lights were on at least 5 minutes or longer in the nightime pictures, and at least 3 minuts in the daytime pictures. Obviously, during warm up time it is very blue for a brief moment (about 5-10 seconds).

This picture is in the daytime in the shade. As you can see, it has a nice white, but no yellow at all. This is what it looks like at its worst. In other words, this white color you see is the least amont of color you will see. This white color usually shows when views straight on, and in daylight. As you get more off angle and the daylight gets darker, the purple and blue color come out more. You might be able to see how the left and right have slightly differnet percieved color. The right (Drivers side) looks to have a very slight purple tint, while the other side seems to have a very slight blue/green tint. This shows how the viewing angle really changes what you see.

Here is a picture that shows virtually the same but taken in the morning in a parking garage.

Here is a close up of the white color look.

Here is where things get interesting. This is the same angle, but late at night. The purple color really stands out in this picture. To be honest, in real life it is not that saturated, but definately purple enough to notice the color. Not the deep purple like the BMW's though.

Since there is a limit on the number of pictures, I will continue in the next post.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Here is another angle that shows the purple color. Also, this is a still coverted from video, so it is a little fuzzy.

Front view of the same situation as above. Same time of early morning. Same still from video.

Here is a picture of the beam pattern on the wall. It is not perfect like OEM HIDs with the razor sharp horizantal cut off control, but it is close, and closer than the picture might show. Also, of importance, these HIDs capsules are my old 9006 units mounted in custom hand made H4 adaptor rings, so they are not perfect to OEM tolorences. To the nakes eye, the gas pocket does line up perfectly with the low beam position of the H4, but again, it was hand made my myself, so it is imposible to be perfect. I do have some real H4 application HIDs coming in from my source, so when they arrive, I can see how good a custom job I really did :D

To recap, this is the best set up I personally used. The beam pattern on the road is very even and wide, from near to far. I no longer have the two distinct beams of light like the USDM optics show, but simple even coverage throughout the field of view like the OEM HID applications. The percieved color output is great IMHO. At worst it is a pure white HID light as seen on most OEM HID cars, and as the distance and angle increase, the colors shifts to purple or blue, and anythig in between. It is NOT as deep purple as the BMW, nor as colorful as the Audi, but very noticable, and never any hint of yellow.

For those who are thinking about gettig HIDs, pictures do it no justice. I persoally have had a very hard time capturing what the naked eye sees, especially with a digital camera. That is why I tried to give as much verbal info with each picture. Maybe some of the Hawaii HID owners will give their commnets as well. None of them have seen my new optics yet since I just put them in this past week, but they have seen my old set up and IMHO this set up is 100X better, and my old set up was not bad at all, and showed many of the same color traits, only with a less controlled beam pattern.

If you have any questions, you can email me at [email protected]

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Here are some actual road views. I have my lights adjusted slighty low like everyone else. However, the the vertical control is very good, so I think I can adjust them higher if I want to, but I'm still debating if I should since it is good enough as it is, and no one flashes me as it is.

This is from the drivers seat through the windshield with no street lights.

Another view from the drivers seat with no street lights. Take a look at the house on the right. This picture shows how well the upward vertical light control is. I do have it adjusted slight down, but my old USDM setup would have lite up the garage roof line.

This is also with no street lighs only from outside the car sticking up through the sunroof.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
A view with street lights on one side of the road.

Here is a view with a lot of street lights in town.
Even with all the street lights and traffic lights the HID is still viable.

Although not the greatest picture, and it did not fully capture the effect, this one gives you an idea of how controlled the light is. There is a very distinct roughly to 45 degree angle of light from the headlights to the sides.

Here is another view in my parking garage at work.

Now I just snapped all these night road view pictures about 30 minutes ago while I had some spare time at work. They are not the greatest, but I feel they convey most of the reasons why we like HIDs so much :)

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Chris K you should be in sales :D!
Those pics are awesome, and the description makes it all even more gravy....I am wondering about the optics issues with the USDM versions. What can be done to make them right? I know about the two spots on the road, I would like the beam pattern similar to that of the X5 at night, if at all possible.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Leon Millette said:
Chris K you should be in sales :D!
Those pics are awesome, and the description makes it all even more gravy....I am wondering about the optics issues with the USDM versions. What can be done to make them right? I know about the two spots on the road, I would like the beam pattern similar to that of the X5 at night, if at all possible.
If you want an X5 beam pattern you have to do what Matt did. Custom X5 lights into the Legend housing. Matt's beam pattern probably is the best since it uses true OEM HID projector lights. The only thing that is different is the outer plastic lens on the Legend, but that is clear so it shouldn't affect it .

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mine is K2 kit, made in korea one. Very nice purplish white color. Has been for a year there. No problem at all, so far so good. But sorry man, no pictures, hehehhee............

G

·
ChrisK: Where did you get your nicer optics? I have never heard anything about this. Do you have any pics of them during the day.

ngthing said:
Faster than j00
Yeah right, I don't think that there is a legend here you could beat ;).

G

·
Am I the only one that remembers that time when we raced coming back into downtown Kirkland at like 3AM?!?!! :D If I remember correctly I beat you by about 10 car lengths!!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Hey chris can u run down the mods you did? Im hinking of getting some 1 piece and would like to modify my exsisting kit

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
edm lights are similar to ours , just use a clear corner instead of amber. So 9006 is what they use.

BTW
I have a xenonlights.com kit(no longer in buisness)
I had them give me 2 osram bulbs, but to my amazement they had no purple or blue more like a yellow. So I went and got 2 phillips bulbs. Look very good at nightitme.Phillips ballast. Had it for over 1 1/2 years. Still lights up perfect

1 - 20 of 87 Posts