Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy another coupe, and I know of a good dash (because the one in the coupe looks like a spiderweb of cracks)

the only problem is that the new dash is in a sedan. Are the 2 upper dash areas the same lenghth and size? I gotta know for sure if they're interchangable.

thanks
Mike D

·
Registered
799 Posts
they are the same...

ask stevieray, he's on the forums

I had bought a new dash for a my 1994 LS Coupe but didn't have the time (or the skills) to put it in and he put it in his sedan

·
Registered
580 Posts
luvmylegend
Go ahead and get it and if it does not fit, I will take it off your hands as long as it has the dark brown/charcoal top

How much U getting it for, I see some at car-parts.com as low as $200.00

Keep me posted

James

·
has left the building
7,205 Posts
OSAR!!! (Long)

Luvmylegend, I believe the '91-93 dashes are slightly different from '94 & '95 but to answer your question, a coupe dash WILL fit in a sedan. The ONLY major difference I found was since I put Jeff's '94 coupe dash in my '92 sedan, I had to change the black trim piece around the instrument cluster as that piece is different. If you attempt to do this swap, I STRONGLY recommend that you beg, borrow or steal a HELM manual. Even then, removal of some pieces is not covered, for example, the removal of the ducting for the vents. Probably the hardest parts were the actual physical removal of the old dash, the swapover of the passenger ABS bag and screwing with the electrical harness---all 3 were a *****!

If I were you, I'd allocate at least an entire day for the swap. I started at 8:30P on Xmas Night (!) and had the old dash out by midnight. I started back at 9:00 the next morning and finished up around 1:00 that afternoon. However, the job was probably easier for me because I had removed everthing else (instrument cluster, glove box, A/C controls, etc.) at some point before and more or less knew what I was doing.

I will say this---because of this job's complexity, I think that unless you can lay hands on a NEW dash to put in, I wouldn't bother---too many unknowns with a used dash for me. BTW, I was told by a guy @ Acura of North America to NEVER EVER put any type of vinyl dressing (ArmorAll, etc) on these dashes as the dressing plugs the pores of the vinyl, causing it to dry out & crack. Also, these dashes are designed to be "no-glare"---using ArmorAll and the like just defeats the purpose. Just use mild soap and H2O and you'll be fine.

If you'd like, I have some pics of the disassembled dash that I can send you so you can see what you're getting into---just let me know. Later---

PS: OSAR = Southern for "Oh, yes they are!":D

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
James S said:
luvmylegend
Go ahead and get it and if it does not fit, I will take it off your hands as long as it has the dark brown/charcoal top

How much U getting it for, I see some at car-parts.com as low as $200.00

Keep me posted

James
I paid $50 for it today. I have to go pick it up tomorrow.

I have another question. Is the vin # attached to the dash? if so, is it legal to change it?

·
has left the building
7,205 Posts
Yeah, the VIN plate is on there with pop rivets but it's OK to install it on the new dash. What I did was drill the rivets out and then reinstalled the plate with what are called "security screws". They are those screws that you can't back out---got 'em at Lowe's but I imagine that Home Depot has them, too. Later---

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
bump! to see that it's not a easy just direct swop he say's coupe dash will fit in a sedan he didn't say a sedan dash will fit in a coupe!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.