Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TopGear Fanatic
1,612 Posts
**MOD EDIT** This is a split thread and just for the record, Nuclear Symphony is not offering or attempting to put a G2 TB onto a G1, that is simply where the discussion ended up going lol....**/Mod Edit**

Just a quick look at what one of ours looks like. The "before" model is a 2.7L, the "after" one is from a 3.2L (didn't have a 2.7L at the time to compare). You get the idea though.

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
I know this is off topic...but DAMN...if it werent for that lower left hole, it looks like the 3.2 TB would mount right up to a G1 intake! All you'd need to do is figure out the throttle cable and the coolant hoses...damn :grumble:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Mic them.

The theory of "Bigger engine, bigger throttle body" doesn't convince me.

I'm not trying to be negative, just want to see proof of the difference before someone chops up a TB for no reason.

Another thing to consider, is even if it is bigger, typically the way things will work is that you'll only move as much air as your most restrictive part allows. If the TB is bigger, but the manifold behind it is the same size as the TB diameter, you're not gonna move any more air.

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
^ True...but chopped is already well into his turbo project, and I think that if the G2 tb were to be made to work, his application would most definitely be more than appropriate...

Plus, I've seen N/A Maxima's running Pathfinder throttle bodies with fair success...were there big gains? Debatable...but were there ANY gains? Yes...

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
If any cutting were involve, I would agree that it wouldn't be worth it at all...but if all that's involved is drilling one hole...I wouldnt mind dropping $20 at the junkyard just to experiment :D

Also,I wonder what the measurements for an Accord 2.7 are...hmmmmm...wow we totally hijacked Nulclear's thread didnt we? hahaha...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ok. Here's what I got. The 2.7 TB is 59mm, and the 3.2 TB is 63mm. To mount the 3.2 to the 2.7 manifold (on center, I made sure), you have to take off the plastic spacer on the 2.7 man, tap 2 holes for bolts in existing metal, pile up some aluminum in two places, machine them down, and tap 2 holes in those places. Now it just mounts on center, though. You still have to fill in the idle air passages on the TB and the manifold, machine 2mm from around the opening in the manifold (for the size difference), and cut a gasket. Since you have to fill the idle air passages in (because none will line up), you will need a stand-alone system with it's own idle air valve.

Sorry if this seems overkill or pointless, but when you consider all the work I'm doing to the G1 convertible, I don't want to think back about that one little thing I could have to make it better. I'd rather do it all now, BEFORE I dyno tune, and have the peace of mind that there was nothing else I could have done.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've already done some welding and machining on his maniflod. The aluminum filler I'm using bonds really well, and I think I can pull off the TB conversion. Here's some pics of what I've already done.

This is where some air valve was, and there were 2 holes filled and machined.

This is where some other valve was, EGR maybe? I didn't check. It's gone anyway. Still have some machining to do here.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,298 Posts
^ Damn man, you got some skills on welding.

·
TopGear Fanatic
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh. Wow. :headscrat My stars, I had no idea this angle would be brought up! I was just trying to show general before- and after-ness LOL. But now that the subject has arisen, back when I was racing Isuzus, it was determined that the V6 TB from a Trooper would fit on our four-banger Impulses.

I guess my only thought here, aside from Chopped's approach, would be to simply bore the 2.7L TB out to fit the 3.2L valve in. May not be possible diameter-wise, however. Plus I don't have access to a drillpress just yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.