Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated: I completed the trans valve body rebuild, and updated the DIY with the full size 8x10 color glossy photos with the circles and the arrows on the back of each one. Enjoy!

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f13/diy-transmission-service-filter-drain-66734-post1281746/

====================
Would anyone have advice about removing & cleaning the automatic transmission valve body and solenoids on a G2 Legend? I'm getting some shift-flare during the 3-4 shift. So far, it only flares the first time upon a cold start. It seems OK after it warms up (though I've been driving it very gently). It's been doing this for about a year - most noticieable in the cold weather.

I'm wondering if the shift valves are gummed-up, or if dirty solenoid screens are limiting the pressure. I recently added 6oz of Auto-RX and drove 1,000 miles, but I'm not seeing any change yet. I ordered parts to rebuild the Valve Body - some O-rings, solenoid screens, checkballs, a new filter/screen, pan gasket, and fluid (ATF-Z1). I plan to separate the Main Valve body from the Secondary valve body to change the screens between them. I have the Acura shop manual. I'm a competent shade-tree mechanic. I have all the tools. But it'll be the first time I've ever opened an automatic transmission.

I wondered if I could test for gummed valves (vs. bad clutch packs) via a full throttle acceleration thru the 3-4 shift (while warm). If the clutch packs are bad, I'm thinking it will flare even when warm, whereas gummy valves might loosen up? Just a thought.

Vehicle History: The trans has 130K. I'm the second owner, and I believe the first owner was gentle on the car. But she didn't change the transmission fluid in the 92K miles before I bought it - so the fluid was getting dark. It didn't smell too bad, but I can imagine old fluid could lead to sticky valves or clogged screens. I did the 4x fluid change when I first bought the car.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

I cleaned the valve body, and the complete transmission! there was a lot of gum in there!
It's not so hard to do, I can send you some pics if you want.
Now it shift like a knife through butter!
It was also my first time, that i opend a transmission, just take your time and take pictures!
You can ask me questions, but my english is not so good! but i will try to help you!
Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Transmission Flush via Trans Cooler Return Line

thanks bschukkink - I probably don't need pictures - unless they convey any obscure warnings (like the checkballs go here, here, and here!). I'll try to take some pics myself once I have the valve body on the workbench.

BTW - part of the process was to flush out the Auto-RX that I had added to the Trans fluid about 1000 miles ago. To flush as much as possible, I decided to exhaust the old fluid out the Tranny cooler, while adding new fluid. But I couldn't find a thread telling me which connection was the return line from the cooler to the transmission (to flush the cooler as well). I've learned that the Driver side trans cooler connection is the return (though who's to say whether another vehicle off the assembly line might not connect them in the other direction).

Once the plastic shield was removed from the bottom of the engine bay, it was quick and easy to flush via the tranny cooler lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.