Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a strip of rubber/plastic affixed to the inside portion of the crook of the hinge where the torsion bar rests? I have a rattle back there which is driving me nuts. Have already found a broken torsion bar mounting clip. The discolored paint seems to indicate that some sort of adhesive strip was mounted at that location.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CWA-94GS: I don't require a hinge, I only want to know if Acura had installed something to inhibit sound transmission on the hinge where the torsion bar crosses to the hinge mount. Should take someone less than 2 minutes to determine. I am trying to locate and repair what may be creating the rattle without having to crawl into the trunk and having my wife drive me around while I track down the noise....I fear she may never let me out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked in the truck of my '91 LS Coupe. The only thing that I found touching the torsion bars was the 'TORSION BAR CENTER CLIP'. It separates the bars where they cross in the center, but it appears to be plugged into holes on the under side of the shelf. There is an enlarged inset of it on page 20-70 of my 1991 Legend Coupe Service Manual.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHM: Thank you for looking. I have viewed the applicable page in the HELM (Same page in the 92 Cpe Manual). It did appear as though there may have been something affixed to the hinge arm where the torsion bar crosses and makes contact with the arm. Guess I have no choice but to climb into the trunk and have my wife drive me around. Oh joy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looker again with a flashlight and did find a piece if transparent tape wrapped around the torsion where it touches the trunk hinge arm on the left (drivers) side. However, I think it was just a coincidence. I do not recall putting it there intentionally

I installed the torsion bars as a part of the OEM trunk spoiler installation, so I looked at the installation instructions for the spoiler. In the part about installing the torsion bars, there is a note about which spring goes on which side. It reads: "The spring painted red goes on the right side of the car: the end painted yellow goes on the left side." The diagram shows the referenced painted area to be on the part of the spring that is closest to the back of the car and in the area where the spring touches (and passes over) the trunk hinge. I do not know if you were already aware of this or what difference it would make.

The only mention of other parts is the center clip. The diagram shows that the top of the center clip has an end which is sort of recessed and on the other side has a slight protrusion. The side with the protrusion is pointed toward the front of the car. There is no mention of installation direction, so I do not know whether it makes a difference or not.

Good Luck, Howard

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howard:
Thanks again. I just checked and my springs are installed correctly. It's been yrs since I installed them but I do remember they arrived loose w/o instructions from A&H. The Torsion Bar Mounting Clip is also correctly installed. I probably broke it just recently by having over loaded the vehicle for a trip. Although I have been putting it off, I shall shortly have to remove everything from the trunk and have my wife drive me around while I try to isolate the noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.