Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tutorial on the LegendTuner site is not comprehensive enough.
You could remove the "gut" without a mirror, but I could not remove the upper screw w/o fear of stripping it. Found it easier to just remove the whole unit. Had to use a brass drift and hammer and gently work the unit assy a few degrees LT and RT a couple of times before pulling it out. The tutorial does not state that if you remove the unit and thus disconnect the two hoses from the differential, you will lose a bit of diff fluid. I used two ball-point pens to block the hoses which cannot be switched due to one opening being larger than the other. After the unit is out, less than 5 min later it is ready for reinstall. You also should consider installing two new hose clamps.

Other than that, the tutorial is accurate. The HELM does not inform that the hoses must be disconnected, nor that some diff fluid will be lost.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LegendGS said:
Probably a stupid question, but what's a brass drift?
A brass drift is a punch bar made of solid brass. In the old days, they were used to install bearings. You could probably use a 3/4" square of hardwood. Anything softer than the housing as you don't want to damage the housing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What the Legend Tuner Tutorial doesn't say is that you need a Torx T-20 anti tamper fitting to get the sensor off.

Fortunately, it's not a hard fitting to find, try Pep Boys in the Lisle tool section (red packages). I happened to have one in my tool box since it's the same fitting used to take apart Ford Mass Air sensors.

Start to finish it took me about 75 minutes to change out the Speed Sensor (@98K miles FWIW).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sean L: Thanks for inserting the info on the T-20 tamper-proof bit. I had to buy a set of Lisle bits, but at $16.00 it was worth the cost. For less than a hour and $86, another "minor" Legend repair has been completed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.