Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Legend (G2), so of course I put in premium gas, but I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is about different brands of gas... I've always put Texaco in, and sometimes 76... I keep driving by the ARCO AM/PM and looking at their cheap gas prices and wondering if there is anything bad about using their gas. Anyone done some gas mileage tests for different brands of gas to see if one brand was better than another? Anyone know for a fact that a certain brand is "bad"??

Thanks,

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
There was an article a few years ago in the local newspaper that examined whether or not one brand of gasoline is "better" than another. Things might be different now. But as I recall.......

What the reporters discovered was that the gasoline that you might buy at Chevron, probably didn't come from a Chevron refinery. The Union 76 gasoline might have come from a Chevron-owned refinery. This was true for all gasoline brands in the area. Even the "cheap" stuff like Rotten Robbie, etc. came from the same refinery as the name-brand stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,796 Posts
I've heard its all the same....My accounting teacher said it was, he knows what he is talking about...Luvmylegend told me not to use BP though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
paulo57509 said:


What the reporters discovered was that the gasoline that you might buy at Chevron, probably didn't come from a Chevron refinery. The Union 76 gasoline might have come from a Chevron-owned refinery.
One of my Boss's is a huge oil guy and his company supplies Chevron.

I use 76
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
A couple of months back in an issue of Maxim, a group of guys took a road trip on the East coast rating gas stations along the way. From what I remember I think Exxon came in first and Mobil the runner up. They only examined 4 different gas stations I believe. Anyhow, there's a lot of Exxons & Mobil's in the NYC area and my baby gets fed from them.

When I visited Cali last summer, there were different gas stations out there. Didn't recognize some of them. Is it like that in other parts of the country too like in the mid-West?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
Gas Stations in South Cali that are COMMON

Chevron
Shell
76
Mobil
Arco


I always put, 76, Shell, or Chevron. The only one I don't recommend is Arco. Almost every car I put Arco in starts to act weird, no way I'm letting that stuff touch my Legend =P

Oil is pretty much the same issue, I think Valvoline is the best one to put from the non-synthetic list, seems like the clenest :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trix said:
A couple of months back in an issue of Maxim, a group of guys took a road trip on the East coast rating gas stations along the way. From what I remember I think Exxon came in first and Mobil the runner up. They only examined 4 different gas stations I believe. Anyhow, there's a lot of Exxons & Mobil's in the NYC area and my baby gets fed from them.

When I visited Cali last summer, there were different gas stations out there. Didn't recognize some of them. Is it like that in other parts of the country too like in the mid-West?
I live a little north of seattle. We mostly have four or five different kinds of gas... Texaco, 76, Arco AM/PM, Shell, and a few Chevrons...

-James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Gas Stations in South Cali that are COMMON

Chevron
Shell
76
Mobil
Arco

I always put, 76, Shell, or Chevron. The only one I don't recommend is Arco. Almost every car I put Arco in starts to act weird, no way I'm letting that stuff touch my Legend =P

Oil is pretty much the same issue, I think Valvoline is the best one to put from the non-synthetic list, seems like the clenest :)
just make sure that you don't fill up at the 76 at the corner of Valley and Atlantic. That's place is really cheap, and their gas is really bad. The Alhambra Costco actually has good and consistant gas that's good enough for everyday driving and occational WOT. Put Mobile or Chevron when you want to race your car(e.g. meets:D ) so that you get max performance or protection out of them. Have heard that the local Texaco gases are really really strong(heard that from my racer friend) but I've never tried them in my legend.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top