Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've just been noticing that my gauge cluster lights work. But not all of them.

The needle on my tacho and temp gauge aren't lit up like the speedo and fuel needles are.

Everything else is lit up. Any suggestions>

·
I want K-Sports..
1,421 Posts
replace a bulb?

·
Outta GT
393 Posts
Drop the lower instrument panel cover (lower, on driver's side)(one screw is under the hood release, the other is under the right side of the panel, and the third is behind the fog switch), take the speedometer bezel off (two screws at the bottom, this is why you need to drop the lower panel.) Look behind the odometer, where the bezel used to be, you will find two screws on each end, remove them. Take odometer out carefully, remove (the two centered) of the four brown knob-looking thingies and replace bulbs! Goodluck.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Okay so I've just been noticing that my gauge cluster lights work. But not all of them.

The needle on my tacho and temp gauge aren't lit up like the speedo and fuel needles are.

Everything else is lit up. Any suggestions>
follow ledg4f4 instructions to take apart the cluster bezel...but I don't think it's the 194 (brown plastic twist base) bulbs behind the guages that's your problem because your odometer and fuel guage markings/numbers are all backlit and visible right? It's just the needles that are not visible? There are two smaller 74 bulbs on the top of the cluster bezel that are facing the guages that provide foreground lighting and light up the needles. You need to replace the one on the left (when you're facing the guages) and those two needles will light up again. Search for instrument cluster lighting and LED lighting and you'll find more info.

·
A Pinnacle of Performance
214 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong but the gauge cluster is entirely lit by the cluster lights shining from above down onto the gauges, no back-lighting anywhere. If your having a light issue on the Tach and Temp gauge then the left portion of the above lighting is just burnt out. And +1 follow the instructions for taking apart the gauge cluster bezel to access the bulbs on top.

prominance1

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong but the gauge cluster is entirely lit by the cluster lights shining from above down onto the gauges, no back-lighting anywhere. If your having a light issue on the Tach and Temp gauge then the left portion of the above lighting is just burnt out. And +1 follow the instructions for taking apart the gauge cluster bezel to access the bulbs on top.

prominance1
I think there are 4 194 bulbs behind the gauges to provide backlighting for all the numbers/letters/degree markings on the gauges. These are the ones people switch out for LED bulbs to do the colored/superwhite gauge cluster lights mod. I already have the bulbs , just waiting for warm weather to start tinkering on the car again!! The two 74's facing the cluster up top are to light up the needles at night (or else the backlighting would make them look black and they wouldn't be very visible). That's what I guessed the OP's problem was as he said just the needles weren't lit and everything else was.

·
214 Posts
+1 to the two 74's above but the gauges just have the above lights only. The needles are identical to the white material that exists everywhere, gauge faces, temp and gas, just because it reflects light the best. The lights above are subject to failure. The ones in my 93 integra cluster went out once and the gauge faces from either car are 98% identical in that they are exactly the same apart from the Legend numbering being slightly larger (for older folks i assume :thumbsup: ) but other than that the only backlit gauge options for our setup is the indigo electric face covers (still not back lit) or the custom Acura Legend gauges we were gonna have made in a group buy late last year. That LED mod your thinking of doing is a simply bulb swap so bright ass blue or red or white light will light the gauges up more. If you take out the 74's as a test turn your interior lights on at night and you'll have no light on them whatsoever.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
+1 to the two 74's above but the gauges just have the above lights only. The needles are identical to the white material that exists everywhere, gauge faces, temp and gas, just because it reflects light the best. The lights above are subject to failure. The ones in my 93 integra cluster went out once and the gauge faces from either car are 98% identical in that they are exactly the same apart from the Legend numbering being slightly larger (for older folks i assume :thumbsup: ) but other than that the only backlit gauge options for our setup is the indigo electric face covers (still not back lit) or the custom Acura Legend gauges we were gonna have made in a group buy late last year. That LED mod your thinking of doing is a simply bulb swap so bright ass blue or red or white light will light the gauges up more. If you take out the 74's as a test turn your interior lights on at night and you'll have no light on them whatsoever.
If you take your gauge cluster out you will see that there are 4 bulbs (194) in the back of the cluster that illuminate the gauges from behind (that's what I meant by backlit not indiglo, EL etc), in addition to the 74's facing the gauges from up top. Check out this thread:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/dash-cluster-lights-111876/

See Post #10. The red gauges have red 194 led's in the back of the cluster and blue ones have 4 blue 194 led's (notice how the odomter/trip meter is lit up from the inside/back of the cluster. Both of them have white 74 bulbs up top facing the cluster as the reflection from the needles and black fascia trim around the gauges shows.

Here's another setup:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f93/testing-dslr-b-w-g2-116060/

He has white 194's behind the gauges and red 74's up top facing the gauges to light the needles red.

Here's an overview to interior lighting in the G2 in general:
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f13/overview-interior-bulbs-113612/

I understand what you're saying...my 86 Saab only has two bulbs facing (and lighting) the whole cluster. But the G2 Legends have 194's behind the gauges and 74's in front of the gauges. I don't know if I can get my point across any better, maybe someone else will chime in. :thumbsup:

·
214 Posts
my bad samblaze I decided to go and check it out for myself tonight when I got home. I guess there one more way the legend gauges differ from my integra ones. I saw the bulbs you were talkin about, sorry I was ranting :bigok: , they are indeed backlit in addition to the cast light from above. Woopps!

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
my bad samblaze I decided to go and check it out for myself tonight when I got home. I guess there one more way the legend gauges differ from my integra ones. I saw the bulbs you were talkin about, sorry I was ranting :bigok: , they are indeed backlit in addition to the cast light from above. Woopps!
ah dude I didn't even take it as ranting...it's all good! Now that you got the cluster apart do an LED mod :giggle: !!!

·
214 Posts
lol yeah what the hell, it would look pretty sweet wouldnt it? I gotta put my cluster back in still haha

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
legend is the same as the g2 integras.

theres 4 backlit bulbs and 2 overhead.

·
B.K.A Runa
1,291 Posts
I want blue leds for mine I think Imma order those with all the way round

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
^^ Good info! ^^ I'm waiting on my order from superbrightled's :bigok:, my stimulus check is basically going into the Legend!

·
B.K.A Runa
1,291 Posts
Do our needles glow under uv or black light without paint. I want blue backlighting with blue needles or maybe even red.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts