Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old S*hool Member
Joined
·
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install reverse indiglo guages in my legend, can I use the guage cluster dimmer switch to dim and brighten the indiglo effect of the guages? Is this the standard way of wiring reverse indiglos? If not, can it be done easily??

I have little experience with these and I want to get all the details before I decide to buy them....

Thanks!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
Octane said:
If I install reverse indiglo guages in my legend, can I use the guage cluster dimmer switch to dim and brighten the indiglo effect of the guages? Is this the standard way of wiring reverse indiglos? If not, can it be done easily??

I have little experience with these and I want to get all the details before I decide to buy them....

Thanks!
Dave
The gauges comes with a little switch that adjust the brightness and color. I'm sure you can wire that to the dim switch. Although most of us who installed gauges just elected to use the switch that came with it.
 

·
Old S*hool Member
Joined
·
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great - so the gauges come with their own dimmer switch. Thats perfect b/c this way I can keep my stock dimmer switch attached to the lights in the front of the gauge cluster.

From what I have been told, the only way to compensate for the "disappearing needles" on our cars is to leave the front cluster lights on slightly so that the needles can still be seen....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Octane said:
Great - so the gauges come with their own dimmer switch. Thats perfect b/c this way I can keep my stock dimmer switch attached to the lights in the front of the gauge cluster.

From what I have been told, the only way to compensate for the "disappearing needles" on our cars is to leave the front cluster lights on slightly so that the needles can still be seen....
Exactly. Although some have taken a black permanent marker (Sharpie) and "painted" the needles so that they can be seen better. I am trying to get my hands on some of the Indiglo needles to see if I can make them work in our Legend clusters.



Ghost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
Ghost said:


Exactly. Although some have taken a black permanent marker (Sharpie) and "painted" the needles so that they can be seen better. I am trying to get my hands on some of the Indiglo needles to see if I can make them work in our Legend clusters.



Ghost
WE've looked into these a long long time ago. The needles needs to be translucent for these indiglo needles to work. Legend needles are solid. I think there's a little disclaimer or note on the bottom of that website saying that they can't make it work with pre-98 Honda/Acura needles.
 

·
Old S*hool Member
Joined
·
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I've mentioned this a few times before but never got any sort of feedback, so I'll try again.....

....I was wondering, does anyone think it would be possible to wire up a small black light unit where the front guage cluster light bulbs currently are, then paint the needles in something that will react (light up) when exposed to black light? I think it would make for a really cool effect, but would only work if the rest of the cluster did not react to the black light ofcourse...


comments? ideas? anyone (who has reverse indiglo gauges) interested in trying this??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
hey i have reverse indiglos installed on my legend and its not hard to see the needle at all. i hav ethe dimmer down all the way also on the stock unit. and the indiglo set at the hightest brightness. also i have used a black light to brighten things up and it helps alot. the numbers show up better and you can see the numbers but i think painted it is the best way right now but you dont have to. ill post some pics later on sometime when i get a chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
wouldn't a black light light up every spec of dust in the gauge cluster area? We all know how dusty it gets in there.
 

·
502MotorSports.com
Joined
·
9,296 Posts
WhiteLegend said:
wouldn't a black light light up every spec of dust in the gauge cluster area? We all know how dusty it gets in there.
yeah, it would work, but you would have to ensure either:
1 - you cleaned the MESS out of that area before sealing it shut or it will eat u alive (fellow neat freaks)
2 - you have a dimmer for the black light

I think if the needles are painted white or whiter, they will show up MAGNIFICENTLY under the black light....
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top