Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post this in the hopes that I've over looked something. My gentex mirror stopped working a couple weeks ago and I finally got around to trying to fix it. I'll turn the car on and the mirror will come on and it will work normally for a good 60 seconds and then shut off. The mirror won't work again until I unplug the harness, let things reset, then plug it back in. Even then though, it only works for another 60 seconds.

I checked the power and grounds and they're setup correctly and all the fuses are good. The reason I tend to think its fried is because a sticker on the original box said, "connect the all-the-time-power to the ignition power along with the ignition power wire". Not explaining why, I decided to follow the instructions and set it up as the wires are labeled figuring it had volatile memory and would forget my settings if I did what the sticker on the box said.

So unless I've over looked something, I'm about to buy another off ebay. I simply can't go without a dimming mirror with a compass and temp sensor.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Heh Ken, wait a minute, yours is newer than mine and it stop working already, you sounds not JK like Wyatt right? Even if I know you're not but just checking though ... Seriously, how about less than 1 year MFG warranty replacement if possible, I hope? Oh, how long have you had this one? I'm lucky to have mine still working fine and wish that it'll still going as long as I own this car.

Well good luck,

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh Ken, wait a minute, yours is newer than mine and it stop working already, you sounds not JK like Wyatt right? Even if I know you're not but just checking though ... Seriously, how about less than 1 year MFG warranty replacement if possible, I hope? Oh, how long have you had this one? I'm lucky to have mine still working fine and wish that it'll still going as long as I own this car.

Well good luck,
No joke unfortunately. I'd go big and pretend to sell my car if that were the case. I got the mirror just about 11 months ago and I got it used off a forum member so I'm betting the MFG warranty is out of the question. Did you follow the directions on the sticker of the box and wire the two power wires to ignition power?

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
I got the mirror just about 11 months ago and I got it used off a forum member so I'm betting the MFG warranty is out of the question.
Actually, if whoever you bought the mirror from still has their reciept, you can use the MFG warranty (if it hasn't expired yet). I bought used PC parts from a forum member and when the mobo blew, he mailed me his receipt, and i was able to get it replaced under warranty. It's worth a shot lol.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
As DDmac said, first try to retrieve the original receipt from the previous seller if possible.

To answer your question: yes I did follow the directions on the installation guide and wire the two power wires to ignition power.

Pin 1 Black / Red +12V supply Switched By Ignition
Pin 2 Black / Black Ground Wire
Pin 4 Black / Blue Ground Wire
Pin 9 Black / Yellow +12V Constant Power (Battery)

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, if whoever you bought the mirror from still has their reciept, you can use the MFG warranty (if it hasn't expired yet). I bought used PC parts from a forum member and when the mobo blew, he mailed me his receipt, and i was able to get it replaced under warranty. It's worth a shot lol.
In my grand legend excel spreadsheet, I can tell you how much I paid for what on what date. Unfortunately, I didn't note from who so I'm gonna do some digging.

As DDmac said, first try to retrieve the original receipt from the previous seller if possible.

To answer your question: yes I did follow the directions on the installation guide and wire the two power wires to ignition power.

Pin 1 Black / Red +12V supply Switched By Ignition
Pin 2 Black / Black Ground Wire
Pin 4 Black / Blue Ground Wire
Pin 9 Black / Yellow +12V Constant Power (Battery)
Guess its my own fault then. For what the mirror brings to the car, I don't mind buying another, its just unfortunate.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Huh, what do you mean by that? Is it the mirror defect or you have the wiring problems? I'm thinking it's the mirror defect more than the wiring problems b/c it's been working just fine all these times correct ???

Thanks,

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh, what do you mean by that? Is it the mirror defect or you have the wiring problems? I'm thinking it's the mirror defect more than the wiring problems b/c it's been working just fine all these times correct ???

Thanks,
I'm referring to how I didn't listen to the sticker on the box. Instead, I powered the wires as they're labeled in the manual: all-the-time to all-the-time power and ignition to ignition. The mirror is defective, but if I had listened to the sticker, I bet everything would still work fine.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This is getting more interesting now when you kept mentioning about that sticker on the box. OK, let's back it up a little bit and I'd like you to double check with me some'n here to make sure that we're having the same Gentex mirror model.

If you still have the installation guide, please look and tell me if you see this MADE IN TAIWAN E.03010. Then basically all you needed to just follow the Wire Connection steps 1-3 and that was all it took for the mirror to work properly.

I didn't even have that sticker on the box for whatever reasons and I just gonna ignore it forever if I had it on my hand right now b/c I think it has nothing to do with the Wire Connection.

Thanks,

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is getting more interesting now when you kept mentioning about that sticker on the box. OK, let's back it up a little bit and I'd like you to double check with me some'n here to make sure that we're having the same Gentex mirror model.

If you still have the installation guide, please look and tell me if you see this MADE IN TAIWAN E.03010. Then basically all you needed to just follow the Wire Connection steps 1-3 and that was all it took for the mirror to work properly.

I didn't even have that sticker on the box for whatever reasons and I just gonna ignore it forever if I had it on my hand right now b/c I think it has nothing to do with the Wire Connection.

Thanks,
Yup, thats the exact model I have. The wires are connected just like the install guide says. Its just a spot of bad luck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yup, thats the exact model I have. The wires are connected just like the install guide says. Its just a spot of bad luck.
Oh well, it's time for a new replacement.:wavey:

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just got the new one in the mail yesterday and I'm installing it today. This one has no sticker or instruction telling me to wire both powers to the ignition power. I did buy my old one used, I wonder if it was a defect they fixed a long time ago? Oh well, less work for me. Except for the drilling, its going to be plug and play!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yup, it's now plug and play since you've already had wired up, take it easy with the drilling and hope that the new mirror will work out for you in a long run. The wirings should be the same if you have the same model !!! Well, good luck Ken.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ahhh. Fixed. Man, threading that screw was so much easier knowing to use vice grips from the start.

Isn't that nice? Once you love the mirror very much, you don't want to switch back to the OEM for sure b/c it's a nice modern upgrade anyway. Congrates Ken.

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts