Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to fix my 89 legend by changing virtually all the belts tune ups and transmission drain im just sick of my car now....

it was driving really great on the highway going about 70 MPH then i was driving back home and i think my car got stuck in gear..... wouldnt go over 25 MPH..... to say the least i parked it and my car was just smoking like crazy.... my valve cover gasket is leaking btw but the smoke didnt smell terribly bad, and my engine wasent hot so im just tired of it.... im going to have to make a decsion here in the next 3-5 days ill post some pics soon and maybe you guys can tell me what it's worth IYO.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Damn man that sucks your gonna let it go. When you say you see smoke, is it coming from the rear or from under the hood? Replacing the valve cover gasket isn't that hard to change.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I had a BHG scare when I parked mine and saw hella smoke and smelt burning antifreeze. But after thoroughly checking it I found out it was just a leaking upper radiator hose. Hopefully that's all your's is as well.

About the 25mph issue I never heard of that unless the trans was going out, but the rpms would be really high as well.

But overall I understand what you mean, as reliable and tough as these cars are they do have their "moments". Sorry to see you go, btw what would you replace it with? A 4th gen Trans Am maybe a WS6 with Ram Air and LS1? That's NEXT on my list (but I'll still keep my Legend), trust me it's (WS6) a BEAST. :D :D :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im not leaving just yet... but i have to make a decsion soon..... the smoke was from under the hood and i assume that it is the valve cover gasket...

ive had the car since 2004 and at first as a dumb 18 year old kis I neglected her and dogged her which is i regret.... the RPM dont shoot up but it was just stuck in gear and it didnt want to go over 25 MPH

I love my Acura but i have a few cosmedic issues maybe a new exhaust just im tired of paying paying paying.... I was thinking about a 2002 ford focus at a car lot... BUT then again id prob have to fix that up... but atleast it's newer, idk what im doing it sucks that i have so much stuff in my head about it.... I'll take pics tommarow and keep yall posted :p

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Naw don't get a ford focus, those cars sucks. Stick with either a Honda or Acura.

·
Registered
621 Posts
you could have done the gearbox abd have a whole in the transfer case and this is causing the smoke. I did this 2 times in another car. first time i only found out because of the trail of smoke behind me, then when i rplaced it about a week later i did it again and through half a coge through the transfer case doing about 230km/h and my windshield got covered in oil

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
^:wtf: were you doing to do that much damage?

well im not leaving just yet... but i have to make a decsion soon..... the smoke was from under the hood and i assume that it is the valve cover gasket...

ive had the car since 2004 and at first as a dumb 18 year old kis I neglected her and dogged her which is i regret.... the RPM dont shoot up but it was just stuck in gear and it didnt want to go over 25 MPH

I love my Acura but i have a few cosmedic issues maybe a new exhaust just im tired of paying paying paying.... I was thinking about a 2002 ford focus at a car lot... BUT then again id prob have to fix that up... but atleast it's newer, idk what im doing it sucks that i have so much stuff in my head about it.... I'll take pics tommarow and keep yall posted :p
I'm with L4zy, don't get a focus. Did the smoke smell anything like antifreeze? If so check your hoses, easy fix.

I understand what you mean about paying. But you have to pay to play. If it's not maintenance on an older car it's a sizable price tag and depreciation on a new/er vehicle.

·
489,000 km's stil going
1,014 Posts

Do yourself a favor - do not get a Ford Focus, there is a reason someone is getting rid of that P.O.S. ! A 6 year old Focus although looks tempting is a big mistake! The gas mileage also absolutely sucks on those cars. A lot of people complain about that as well on car shows on the radio.

If you want something reasonable and very reliable get a nicely cared for Civic or a Corolla. That's why you always see those car hold their resale value longer. They cost you a little more then a similar car same year but your buying peace of mind. That seems to be your main worry reading your posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts