Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 LS coupe 6 speed started to act up yesterday. The clutch pedal would glue to the floor after I press it and not bouncing back! I have to press it many times or lift it with my foot to get it to bounce back up!:mad: :mad: I check the fluid in the engine bay and it seems fine, but WHY?? :( Can someone shed some light on me, I'm going nuts everytime I have to do the "MANUAL" clutch lifting exercise! Please help! :confused: Thanks tons in advance:p

regards,

eddie,

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I dunno if the system is similar in the legend, but my work truck did something similar....

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the clutch went to the floor, like right to the floor. It was a tensioner spring that broke and it was not a major repair... Not sure if that is your case, but good luck:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mckenzie91 said:
I dunno if the system is similar in the legend, but my work truck did something similar....

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the clutch went to the floor, like right to the floor. It was a tensioner spring that broke and it was not a major repair... Not sure if that is your case, but good luck:)
Tensioner spring?? hm..... but it would eventually bounce back after several hard presses. Well, I'll look into this "tensioner spring" thingy. Thanks a lot.....;) ;)

regards,

eddie,

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yeah... thats why I am not sure if it is the same in your case. the work truck was an early 90's model ford. The clutch actually went right to the floor and stayed there. If you brought it back with the side of your foot, you could feel that there was no grab to it, and it would just go right back down..:rolleyes: :confused:

·
32 Posts
stickin clutch

Ive got a 93 6spd cp also and I have had the same problem. I believe I have it traced and now I just have to fix it. My Clutch master cylinder fluid was always running low. I replaced my clutch master cylinder and that didn't seem to fix it. After alot of snooping and digging I guess there is a slave cylinder that is leaking. It is down on the transmission. I also had a small leak in the hose to the slave cylinder. It made it so I have to refill the fluid every couple of weeks. Not disasterous but sure is a pain. Anyhow...there were the same symptoms so you might want to check it out. Good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
eddie said:
My 95 LS coupe 6 speed started to act up yesterday. The clutch pedal would glue to the floor after I press it and not bouncing back! I have to press it many times or lift it with my foot to get it to bounce back up!:mad: :mad: I check the fluid in the engine bay and it seems fine, but WHY?? :( Can someone shed some light on me, I'm going nuts everytime I have to do the "MANUAL" clutch lifting exercise! Please help! :confused: Thanks tons in advance:p

regards,

eddie,
I had the same problem, had to get my master and slave cylinders replaced. If you fill your reservoir back up with dot 3 or 4 fluid (not sure which), your pedal will go back to normal for a short time until the fluid leaks out. If this is the case then one or both of your cylinders is probably leaking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
baddd....cylinders both big and small!

thanks to all that replied to my questions on the annoying glued clutch.:) Yes, it turns out that both my big and small clutch cylinders are going out of order soon, according to the mechanics! :mad: :mad: The clutch fluid has been leaking down to the oil filter area. I was told the parts would cost around $300+ and labor. Are the clutch cylinders supposed to go out this early?? What would cause the cylinders to go bad?? The car (95 LS coupe 6 Speed) has 80,050 miles on the odo as of now. I was thinking that Honda should last a lot longer than this. :(

Thanks...

regards,

_________
eddie

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how long they are supposed to last, but I would think it is a wear item based on how often you change gears. Both of mine went out at 150k.

·
Registered
744 Posts
eddie, not sure if you have bought a clutch master cylinder yet - but I might be able to save you some dollars. Happens that I have 2 in my hands that I will let go for a reasonable (well lower than bought from Napa, Track Auto and the such) price.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KNLNGUS said:
eddie, not sure if you have bought a clutch master cylinder yet - but I might be able to save you some dollars. Happens that I have 2 in my hands that I will let go for a reasonable (well lower than bought from Napa, Track Auto and the such) price.

KNLNGUS
Is it a geniune Acura part or aftermark one? And how much you want for it? I got it fixed, but can keep a spare set if the price is right.
thanks a lot for helping.

regards,

_______
eddie

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, bare in mind it is only the clutch master cylinder and is not OE.

I have one BENDIX 12477 and one BECK/ARNLEY 072-8846, however I am keeping one for myself.

$35.00 shipped (PRIORITY, INSURED, DELIVERY CONFIRMATION) - I pulled that figure out of my arse so let me know if you feel its a bit much, but I think its fair compared to what one would pay at an discount auto source or partsamerica and the like.

KNLNGUS

Now, regular master cylinders - I have 5 of them - let me know if you are in need. No Core, New Bowl + Lid, no tax - napa.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
FIRST!

Hold on here buddy. Don't get ahead of yourself. Now, when your clutch fluid gets too low the system will pump air into the lines. Air compresses easier than liquid causing a soft pedal and even forcing you to "pump" the pedal to get it off the floor. That's why it's important to check it often and keep it from getting too low. So even though you re-filled the fluid, there could still be air in the lines. You need to bleed them before doing anything else.

Make sure you have a bottle on hand and a partner to help you. Find the bleed screw on the slave cylindar and get a clear rubber hose on the end of it and into a drain pan. Have a friend push the pedal all the way to the floor and hold it. Then turn the screw and let the fluid run out into the pan, and then tighten it back up before your buddy lets up on the pedal. Have him pump it up again and repeat the procedure until the air bubbles stop and/or you are seeing clean fluid come out the hose. Leave the cap off the resevoir so that you can check it frequently and keep it full! You don't want any more air to get into the system.

After all this and you still have a problem, then look into having the master and slave clutch cylindars replaced. And usually they don't both go bad at the same time. It's just common to replace them both at the same time because it's tough to troubleshoot to determine which one is bad, and it's just preventative maintenace as well. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I need more then help... I need a miracle...

I took it over to the Transmission place around the corner from me... Had several people give them a thumbs up... When I parked the car, I didn't do a great job of getting it straight, so i got back in, went to start it, depressed the clutch, and "SNAP!" It went to the floor and wouldn't come back up... The engine wouldn't turn over, and I couldn't shift it into gear... (I'm sure this was just cause I didn't want to force it too hard)

Needless to say, it was atleast at the garage when it happened.... I'm not happy though....

Hopefully I'll get it back up to speed soon.

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts