Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked in the sticky's and I need help finding out what I need to do for a full proper tune up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I need help in sorting out what I need to do to inspect and fix the solenoid for the secondaries.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
for the tune-up, your gonna need to replace the spark plugs, wire plugs, distributor and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, motor oil and oil filter. That's all I can think of.

If your trying to clean the solenoids, once you have removed them, try spraying some brake cleaner into the lil holes. Carefull when spraying. Wear eye protection. Grab a 12volt battery and test it. If you hear a click, that means they are working. If you get no sound, but spark, then the solenoids are sticking.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Un-sticking them is a bitch. That's why i bought new solenoids. Let us know if you run into trouble.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of wires do you recommend? I didn't know we had to change the fuel pump when doing a tune up. How easy is that? I wasn't talking about that solenoid, it was the secondary and solenoid under the hood. lol...but that's fine. But how much are new solenoids anyway?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Solenoid under the hood? Can you take a quick picture of it? I'm not sure which one your talking about.

Oh ya, don't forget to also replace the air filter. Cleaning the fuel injectors is one of the tune-ups, but Your gonna have to send them to a place where they can ultrasonic clean them. If your gonna do that, I suggest to go at a local junkyard and pull out the injectors from there. That way you don't have to pull yours out. For coolant, only use Honda Type 2 coolant. Same with transmission oil and PS Fluid. Oh one more thing, you can also flush the brake system. Its not good to have dirty oil going through the brake lines.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would I pull a junked legend's injectors when my car is the one with the injectors that need cleaning? :-D If you look in the sticky section then you would see it where it says "secondary and solenoids"; I read it but some things I had questions on. What kind of wires do y'all recommend?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Usually OEM is the best one, but I'm using Bostch (I think thats how you spell it) cause I'm cheap lol. Someone here should have some good ones. I'm about to do a tune-up. Its about time I did it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've looked in the sticky's and I need help finding out what I need to do for a full proper tune up.
I would just stick with spark plugs and filters. Eyeball the hoses and belt while you're at it. Check all fluid levels.

You can replace the distributor cap, rotor and plug wires, but unless they're giving you problems, it's just throwing money away that you could be putting in your gas tank.

You don't mention how many miles is on your car or when other maintenance has been performed, but If you want to make more work for yourself:

1. Pull the front and rear wheels and check the brake pads for wear. Take a look at the rubber hoses. If you're due for a tire rotation, now's the time to do it. Might as well inspect the tire tread for uneven wear and proper inflation.

2. Drain and refill the transmission fluid, if it's due. If you have an automatic, I'd skip the solenoid cleaning unless you're having a shifting problem. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Oh yeah....find a deserted, dirt or gravel road and exercise the ABS a few times.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Heres my version of a FULL tune-up; mind you that I follow this religiously :yes: ...it's overkill, I know :D

>Quaterly PM...
Regular oil change.

>Bi-annual PM...
Spark plugs. (NGK)
Spark plugs wire set. (NGK)
Distributor cap & rotor.
Fuel injector cleaner.
Seafoam engine treatment.
PCV valve.
Fuel filter.
Air filter.

>Annual PM...
Replace o2 sensors.
PS system fluid flush.
Cooling system fluid flush.
ATF drain/refill method.

And here are the soleniods inside the emission control (black) box.

Just replace them small air filters attached to the top of air suction control, pressure regulator cut-off and bypass control valves A&B solenoids... secondary solenoids are the Bypass Control Valves A&B, both are tapped into the Bypass Control Diaphragm.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that's the next thing that's going to get fixed is the abs. But I'm still wondering what kind of wires. The timing belt has been done about 10 months ago and both of the brakes has new brake hoses. I have new pads and rotors all the way around. I have new belts, wp & pcv valve.

·
-------------------------
1,983 Posts

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Go with NGK wires. They are the best for ower Legends.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.