Acura Legend Forum banner

Good deal on a '94 LS Coupe?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  91LSMAN 
#1 · (Edited)
There is a 1994 Acura Legend LS Coupe Type II, 6 speed, pearl white, tan leather, all service records, 166k miles for $5800 in the local paper. I wonder what shape its in. i want to go look at it. maybe they will trade me...

#5 ·
If he wants to trade, then you don't: believe me! As far as buing it; with all the sevice records, and a carfax, it sounds like a win win situation to me. Check into the maintenance of the cooling system and other important components. Watch out for electical issues. One thing I do when searching for used cars is look for little things that might lead to bigger answers; if it has cheap tires, cheap parts (battery, wipers, etc..) and stuff like that, there is a good possibility he was cheap on more important things as well, i.e. maintenance, repairs, and other precautions. For instance, I bought my car from the original owner who always brought it to the Acura Dealership he bought it from. Acura battery, Acura maintenance, Honda radiator, OEM everything. Good luck!

#6 ·
SLICK40 said:
If he wants to trade, then you don't: believe me! As far as buing it; with all the sevice records, and a carfax, it sounds like a win win situation to me. Check into the maintenance of the cooling system and other important components. Watch out for electical issues. One thing I do when searching for used cars is look for little things that might lead to bigger answers; if it has cheap tires, cheap parts (battery, wipers, etc..) and stuff like that, there is a good possibility he was cheap on more important things as well, i.e. maintenance, repairs, and other precautions. For instance, I bought my car from the original owner who always brought it to the Acura Dealership he bought it from. Acura battery, Acura maintenance, Honda radiator, OEM everything. Good luck!
Very good points in regards to the parts and where the car was taken care of...

#7 ·
well it turns out that the guy selling it is the father of a kid that i went to school with. and me and this kid actually talked about my car and this car a few times. he's looking for something thats more useable and i for one can agree with that. he said the only problems it has are the radio isnt working and the power drivers seat doesnt have power. sounds like they might be related. i want it but guess what... i have no money :) oh well

#8 ·
Well, help us out by posting the add on this forum. Find out the mileage and the condition of it. I've never been to Indiana ;) I'm down to buy a 6sp pearl white.

#9 ·
Buyer beware. I just bought a '92 sedan w/ 122k miles on it. Keeping my fingers crossed, so far so good. I had looked at 7 legends before I decided on this one. If you havn't owned a legend before, I think it's a good idea to look at a few before you make a decision to buy. That way, you get an idea on what a decent car drives like compared to a not so decent one. What might seem to be a good car might not be so good after driving another car that feels much "more better."

#11 ·
OK here is the ad word for word:

Acura 1994 Legend Coupe LS, type II / 6 speed manual, pearl white /tan leather, all service records, 166k miles, $5,800. Phone 574 536 0112

WORD for WORD

I talked to him and this is what I know:
he is third owner

pretty sure he said timing belt/water pump was done by 2nd owner

he bought the car with ~125k miles

supposedly on original clutch, was checked when the 2nd owner had it, was Ok

i asked him about VSS and ignition switch and he didn't know if they'd ever been changed

He is probably 40-50 years old so you can most likely rule out him driving it hard

If any of you want i can go check it out, test drive it. He lives like 5 miles from my house.

EDIT: the ZIP is 46540 in case you were wondering

EDIT #2: OH YEAH, two problems, the radio doesnt work and the drivers power seat doesnt work... pretty sure that was in my previous post but oh well. he said they arent getting power.

#12 ·
Lil Awkward But thanks for the great write up!

You are not the one that is selling the car and that makes it very wierd that you should be the person to do the leg work, especially since you want the car too. I would appreciate if you could do this for me, and if everything works out, I'll spot you a meal when I come up to get it.

There are the regular things that I would like to find out about, although I did not know that they have problems with ignition switches. I will call the owner tomorrow and go over everything, but I do need a pair of objective eyes to look it over.

More worried about body damage or previous accidents. Any parts repainted? Any rust showing or any signs that this will be a problem?

Leather on the seats cracked? How bad? General Interior shape. Seat heaters work? Glass cracked?

Engine bay clean? Wheels scratched? Tire condition? Will it make a 800 mile trip? Any noises? Exhaust rusting out? Leaks on engine or trans? Drive Belts? Sunroof in good shape?

Big request - Pictures. Any way you could take a few for me to get an idea. Hey this sound like more that just a meal now that I am asking more. But if I don't get it, maybe we could keep it within the Legend family and someone else can get it. There are so many things that I check that I cannot think of all of them. Need that VIN # too.

Let me know if this is too much or you are not willing to go through all of this for some unknown person. :bowdown:

Wesley N Phone 828.397.6899

#13 ·
No I wouldn't mind. haha you're right though, I really do want an LS 6 speed tho! But it's cool, I wouldn't mind checking it out, I want to make sure this thing gets a good home thats all. I would hate for some kid to buy it and beat the sh.. out of it. I do have a digital camera so anything you want a pic of I can get. Keep thinking of things in specific you would like me to check (if you are that interested). And when you talk to him, you should probably tell him what we're doing here, make sure it's cool with him. Keep in touch.

#14 ·
Thanks for the Help!

I have contacted the owner and he is now working up some pics for me. I went over a few things with him, but I emailed him and we will talk that way until the $ comes up. The real interest is that I would like for you to go by and drive the thing. I have not told him that right now, but I will discuss this with him as soon as I get some pictures and get some eye shots and see if it is worth the effort.

Seems like a great guy and has kept all the records. Seems like a good deal. I will certainly keep everyone up to date as to what happens with the car. If I do not end up getting it, I will open it up to the forum because as you said, this needs a good home, they all do!

I'll let you know about the pictures and if I need for you to drive it. Thanks again! :giggle:

#16 ·
I just bought it......

I finally got up to IN to pick the car up and now I am at home in NC. Yes, that is right. Flew into South Bend at 9 last night and now I sit here at home. Very tired and my eyes are about to shut as I type, but I am now the proud owner of a 6-speed Coupe!!!!! I drove it home and it was flawless on the 12 hour drive. There are some things to fix, but I would not have bought the car if there weren't a few things wrong. That is how I can get them cheap!

I don't know how to post pics yet, but I will figure it out. I cannot beleive the differences in the 4 and 2 door versions of this car. The two door has some options that the 4 door must have never come with.

Question to anyone in the know, Do all coupes pull the doors closed? This one does and it frieked me out the first time I shut the door. Just used to the GS I guess.

'Nother proud owner of the coupe and I absolutely love this car. Everyone should have a 6-speed!!!!!!!!!!
:D :giggle: :) :D

#18 ·
hondaman23 said:
I finally got up to IN to pick the car up and now I am at home in NC. Yes, that is right. Flew into South Bend at 9 last night and now I sit here at home. Very tired and my eyes are about to shut as I type, but I am now the proud owner of a 6-speed Coupe!!!!! I drove it home and it was flawless on the 12 hour drive. There are some things to fix, but I would not have bought the car if there weren't a few things wrong. That is how I can get them cheap!

I don't know how to post pics yet, but I will figure it out. I cannot beleive the differences in the 4 and 2 door versions of this car. The two door has some options that the 4 door must have never come with.

Question to anyone in the know, Do all coupes pull the doors closed? This one does and it frieked me out the first time I shut the door. Just used to the GS I guess.

'Nother proud owner of the coupe and I absolutely love this car. Everyone should have a 6-speed!!!!!!!!!!
:D :giggle: :) :D
All 91-95 coupes have the door closers.

Congrats. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.