Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Yoko Parada's are going to blow SOON!! So I'm on the look out for some good tyres that will last. Looking for 215/45/17's with a better tread rating of 300, AA traction rating and a 120+ mph speed rating. I've looked everywhere (internet and local shops) to find any tyres that fit this specification, but no luck. Anyone wanna help me on my search??

·
Registered
432 Posts
The problem is that the tire size you want is rare. They don't make many 17" tires that are that skinny so if you can do it (you're car looks pretty slammed) you can get a much better selection by going to 225/45-17. With that size the problem is your 120MPH qualifier along with 300 treadlife. Even so, I found some Michelins that qualify:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport+A/S

Hope you can get 10mm wider!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would definately suggest the Bridgestone Potenza S02, they are awesome tires. A little pricey but they are supposedly the best sticking tires that aren't cheater slicks, meaning they have a good treadwear. I think it's 240 or so, so it's still a little lower than you wanted but I'd check them out.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
If you want that size tire, and want the 300 rating with AA traction, then you have to get teh Potenza RE-730 tires that I have on both my Coupes, and my friend has on his Coupe. It fits all your requirements. It has a a 300 wear rating, a traction of AA, and a temp of A. It comes in both 215/45/17, and 225/45/17, so you have a choice. I have the 225/45/17, while my friend has the 215/45/17. If you have proper alignment, these tires should last a long time. I have used the good traction BF Goodrich Comp TA/ZR, and also Toyo Proxes T1S tires before, and the RE-730 matches then in the dry, and is much better than the BFG in the wet. For a tire that is rated at 300 wear, you would be supprised at how well the grip in the dry, they don't squeel under most situations, and they perform well in the wet as well, all with long tire life.

·
Registered
671 Posts
give these a look: <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_re950.jsp>. they are bridgestone potenzas, similar to what chrisk has, but they are the re950 instead of the re730. i have had them on my car for 3 months now, and i absolutely *love* them. awesome wet and dry traction, and a 40k mile warranty to boot. do a little searching on reviews of them, and you'll find a hugely satisfied customer base. good luck,

wally

p.s. i just checked the difference between the re950 and re730, and it basically the m&s factor (mud and snow rating). i need to have m&s tires because i go up to the mountains to go snowboarding, so i went with the re950's; if you don't have to worry about snow, then go with the re730's.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I put the RE730 on my NSX for all the reasons the Chris noted...much better wet performance than most and 300 tread rating...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree, if you really want a tire that will last long and still give you pretty darn good traction then the RE730 is the way to go. I had a set of them on my car and it was just amazing. The best bang for your buck in my opinion.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Fun92 said:
I would definately suggest the Bridgestone Potenza S02, they are awesome tires. A little pricey but they are supposedly the best sticking tires that aren't cheater slicks, meaning they have a good treadwear. I think it's 240 or so, so it's still a little lower than you wanted but I'd check them out.
yeah, those tires are very good and even surprised a professional driver during the S2000 laguna seca meet. However, they perform poorly when they are cold, and are really bad when they are wet. As OE S2000 tires, they rarely last longer than 15K, and most of them lasted only 10k. S03 would be a better choice for legends if you want the BG S series tires.(280 thread and very high wet traction) But then again, the RE730 should be plenty for legends.:)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Hey guys, what about Sumitomo HTR+ tires, I found some on Tirerack for $94. It's pretty cheap compared to the $136 they want for the potenzas. It has a 360 AA A rating. Is this any good? Has anyone ever used these? Thanks!

here's the link

sumitomo HTR+

G

·
I have the Michelin Pilot Sports on my 17" ADR GT-Sports. Very good traction and they seem to be holding up nicely, but I have only driven them 4k miles. Really great tire, the only downside is the price, but I got mine for $175 which is pretty good. The Acura Dealership gave them to me for that price.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
I have the Michelin Pilot Sports on my 17" ADR GT-Sports. Very good traction and they seem to be holding up nicely, but I have only driven them 4k miles. Really great tire, the only downside is the price, but I got mine for $175 which is pretty good. The Acura Dealership gave them to me for that price.
Is that $175 per tire? Damn

·
Registered
100 Posts
215/45/17 is not a hard number to find since many Civics and Accords used them... the 300 AA doesnt mean much since each company uses different types of compounds to make up the rubber. You can try Falken, another set of the new Paradas Spec 2, DBs, or some Nittos. Kumho, BFGoodrich, and Pirelli makes 300 AA. If you really have the money, the NEW MICHELIN PILOT SPORT all season is 400 AA. But like I said, Treadwear is just a "margin" number to compare it to a standard USA-DOT measurement of 100. I just recently read a magazine article that this one guy had 600AA tires, and when he slammed on the brakes (no ABS on the car), theit. Remember, it's how hard you drive. If you w car skidded a bit.. and there are flat spots on his tires, so his car thumps as he drives, too hard of a compound (high treadwear rating to resist rubber loss) can be bad as well if you are a hard driver. To have long lasting tires, drive conservatively. Remember, rotating your tires at every 3k instead of 6k would make your tires last much longer.

Be sure to check your tire pressure weekly or every 250 miles you drive. That will insure you to get the most life out of your tires. Make sure your alignment on your car is near perfect (aka stock measurements). Tires will last longer that way. If you can toss out some weight from your car (like a set of golf clubs, bowling ball, or even 2 12" subs with 3 amps) get rid of them for longer tread life.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try some Falkens, I got my 215/45/17s for 100 bucks each. I'm not sure of the specs on them but I'm sure you can find that out on your own. If they do meet your requirements, go for it. I've enjoyed mine quite a bit.

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
I say stick with the Yokahoma Paradas. I have the 225/40 18's on mine and they are great, but I drive like a grandpa though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts