Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was well overdue for some new tires when I got a flat a few days ago. So I started doing some research on tires to see what were some of the better ones for our Legends. I decided on the Toyo Proxes TPT. They retail at $110 apiece but my friend works at Town Fair Tire and he hooked me up lovely.
I got the 4 tires at wholesale price for $85 each! Plus balancing, valve stems and four wheel alignment all for FREE! That package retails at $598 normally and I got it for $380 altogether with the lifetime service/replacement warranty!! I'm pretty excited about it and the tires feel great so far! Great handling around turns and they are quiet and very smooth. I just hope they are decent in the snow and rain considering the crappy whether here in New England. I also got my toe angles adjusted because they were off from an accident the previous owner was in so its good to know all of that is corrected!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've had these tires for ~2 years and I have no complaints. Good buy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bad in Snow

I had Toyo Proxes on mine when I bought it. They were great, even in the rain, but as soon as it got cold they SUCKED. In slush the directional patteren seemed to pull the car to one side or the other depending on where there was traction vs. slush. I'm sure your tires are better than the ones I had, it's been a few years, so let us know how they are when you get them in the snow. Remember, you can always get tire cables (chains) for snow and ice, you just can't drive more than 30 MPH with them (and they're a pain to put on or take off, they wear patterens in your tires and ride horrible, but they provide LOTS of traction).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
917 Posts
LNGBRDNPWDR said:
I had Toyo Proxes on mine when I bought it. They were great, even in the rain, but as soon as it got cold they SUCKED. In slush the directional patteren seemed to pull the car to one side or the other depending on where there was traction vs. slush. I'm sure your tires are better than the ones I had, it's been a few years, so let us know how they are when you get them in the snow. Remember, you can always get tire cables (chains) for snow and ice, you just can't drive more than 30 MPH with them (and they're a pain to put on or take off, they wear patterens in your tires and ride horrible, but they provide LOTS of traction).

Good Luck!
Why can't you go above 30mph?

·
P*mp!
1,253 Posts
I have toyo proxes 4's all around on my GS rims.....damn these tires hook!....rain or dry, I cant tell the difference anymore,...as for snow?...I dont know yet...got them in May I think....either way, I'll just drive slower,...it was definately worth the $500 I spent for them,...

vin

·
P*mp!
1,253 Posts
LNGBRDNPWDR said:

Good Luck!
cant help but notice you have a GS 6 speed, plz, grace us with some pics!....im a GS wannabe....

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
LNGBRDNPWDR said:

Good Luck!
Im taking a guess that maybe your tires are not meant for the snow. Each tire is different and some proxes are pretty slick, but still can handle well in the rain. Either that or the ice was so bad, that any tire would slip.

I had a set of Proxes 4's and I likes em, except I replaced them with some dunlop with a special rim protector, so now I dont have to worry about curb rash, because the tire hides the wheel quite nicely. I love this feature on the tire.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the same tires and I'm about due for some replacements, has anyone shopped around for these and found a good place to by them? I need 19's.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I also have the Toyo Proxes 4's on my car, and love them they grip a LOT more than the Khumo's I had on there before. Although Toyo and Khumo are the only two racing tires that I have had on my car, I would def. tell anyone who asked to to with Toyo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Answers...

WicKeD LeGEnD: You don't want to see pics of my GS, I drive it hard and put it away wet, literally. There's so much magcloride and road grime on it last night I though my high beams went out, but it was just crap on my headlights. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but to keep it clean is just not feasible.

ChippsAChoi: You can't drive over 30 MPH with tire cables on because they could fly off, or worst, tangle arond your axles and rip stuff up. They're a cheap solution to ice/snow traction. I admit doing 45 MPH a few times on them, but only because the road surface was only soft snow, not ice, I figured I little more speed would be ok since the cables weren't smacking ice and pavement continuously. Also, it was the middle of Wyoming and 15 MPH saved me considerable time on a 300 mile freaking ground blizzard trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts