Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home today a huge water truck(the size of a dump truck) swerved in my lane-- as I slammed on my brakes and prevented myself from getting lodged under it I hit a 2002 Toyota Tundra. We pulled over and as the water truck pulled over(the cause of the accident) the driver stoped and as we got out of our cars the guy decided to flea the scene and floored it out of there. Unfortuantely we missed his license..
Anyways we filed a police report and the driver I hit was cool stating to the cop that it was the water trucks fault and that he was glad i hit him instead of the water truck as the accident would have been much worst. the cop didn't give me a ticket since our stories were the same, however since i ddin't actually hit the water truck the accident is considered my fault-- but the police report does state that i hit the tundra only because i was being an assertive and defensive driver, etc. this is good. i have to meet with my insurance company tomorrow.
my car has a huge dent in the drivers side door, side view mirrir is shattered and broken, rear bumper is damaged, rear quater panal has the most damage wih a huge dent, rear rim is scrathed, blah, blah

and my car was going in the shop tomorrow to get painted arrgggg!

well any tips to get the most out of the insurance company? thanks

ps sorry this is soo sloppy, i'm in a rush out the door my apologies :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
that's wrong man! No one is suppose to crash a good car. No. Noone should crash any car, for the sake of safety.

Sorry to hear that.....

Any pictures??? :D

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thats sucks man:( I sure hope you dont get pinned for that one. That is the thing about defensive driving.... You may save your ass every time, but sometimes it would have been better (money$$ wise) to just get smucked and hope for the best. At least your accident did not happen after the paint.... keep your head up and things will work out, good luck.:)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Damn yo i feel your pain...wow u where almost in the shop to finish her off......sorry to hear all that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...I know if it had happened next week after the kit was mounted and the fresh paint-- ouch...that would have really hurt. Oh well, atleast I can do most of the body work myself at Full-EFX...it is just to bad that I have to pay my 1000 dollar deducatble. Oh well...atleast I'm okay...and it could have been alot worse if I had actually hit the huge water truck. Peace,

Doug

PS How do insurance claims normally work-- do they inspect your car and figure out the value of the damage or do you take it to several body shops, get quotes, and then give those to the insurance company? I have an appointment tomorrow with Statefarm.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is one pic of the rear-- it is a huge dent...lucky my taillight didn't break :)
The bumper got screwed up too...not that bad but it took the paint off and scuffed it up bad, expeicially the moulding on the bumper is really scrpaed/chunked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have a drivers side mirror for sale? :)
I think I may order some M3 mirrors now...

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The door has a big dent too, both the door handles are scuffed pretty bad, and if you look closely there is a big tire mark on the door too from the truck's tire scrapping up against me...

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
looking at the dents, the cost to repair that is going to be huge. probably around $3G - $4G total including paint (if you order new parts)

well, but u got insurance, so it won't matter to you.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
ATLimaging said:

PS How do insurance claims normally work-- do they inspect your car and figure out the value of the damage or do you take it to several body shops, get quotes, and then give those to the insurance company? I have an appointment tomorrow with Statefarm.
It works a bit differently depending on the insurance co. Some have places for u to bring it in so they're reps can check and they cut u a check, other will say take it to so and so shops so they can get an estimate and then send it over to the Insurance co. then they cut the place a check, and then some will tell u to take it to whatever body shop u want have them do an estimate and either a rep of theirs will come out to verify the estimated cost or they simply cut the shop a check......Hint Hint;)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I don't know if you read my previous post "HIT AND RUN!!!"
MOnday evening someone hit my 91 Legend and ran off. The rear bumper was totally smashed up.
I have GEICO. I called them up - they asked me to take it to the body shop. The body shop is my close friend. He gave an estimate of $1500. My deductible is 500. They are sending a check for 1000. My friend told me that 1000 bucks should cover everything. I emailed some pictures to GEICO. But no one came out and saw the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gAmEs0n said:
looking at the dents, the cost to repair that is going to be huge. probably around $3G - $4G total including paint (if you order new parts)

well, but u got insurance, so it won't matter to you.
You really think it may be that much? That would be awesome to get that much from insurance, but I doubt I will...
I'll let you all know tonight howi t goes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I know, 1000 deducatable sucks, but oh well
This is my first accident or anything to have to report to insruance for that matter...I have been driving for almost 3 years now with a clean record. I had a 1000 deducatable because insurcace was alot cheaper, but with getting all my new paint, etc I may need to move it down to 500. I hope this incident doesn't raise my rates much...

G

·
Nah State Farm is usually pretty cool... I totaled my TL 2.5 (97) and it had 41K in it when I brought it. But when I got into the accident I think it had 50 soomething.... They gave me 15K for it... But it was worth 18K.... By the KBB...

That's the only thing I'm scared of.. If I ever totaled the Legend (knock on wood) I would'tn get the $$$ I paid for it 20K... I also paid 20K for the TL...

But I did buy this insurance from the Acura Dealer and for 3K on time fee they cover your car in case of things like (if it gets totaled).. If it ever did and the ins. co only gave me 10K for the coupe the Other Ins. co that I went through w/ Acura would pay me the rest... so I would get all I paid origionally for the car..

Not bad for 1 time payment of 3K...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sorry to hear that, dog. I think when you meet with State Farm, you need to emphasize that the ONLY reason you got in an accident was because you were being a defensive and safety conscience driver :) . They like to hear stuff like that, and you also have the police report which documents the same thing. I think you'll be in good shape. If they let you go to any body shop (I'm sure you got the hook up) then if your estimate is...let's say about $1000 higher than it needs to be, you're in GREAT shape. Holla!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The total damage was $2,344
So minus my $1000 deducable and I got a check today for $1,344! Actually I may get more because since it was defensive driving and the water truck was the cause and left I may only have to pay a $250 deductable. They have to research the case-- I will get a check for the $750($1000-$250) within a week or two if all goes well. That will be nice :)

Peace,
D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts