Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing my new Ground Controls with my previously installed Koni's I took my Legend to high-end Butler Tire(Marrietta, GA location) and got it aligned. The whole reason I wanted to get the GC's were to allow me to raise my car up so it is more practical for my everyday driving and then slam it at all the shows this summer. Well I set the GC perches all the way at the top(set on the lower Koni perch) in the rear(leaving a 2 finger gap between my 18's and fender) along with a shim to correct the rear camber to -.02 on the passanger side and +.02 on the drivers side. This is all good-- as when my car was slammed previously the camber was at -3! I miss the slammed look in the rear, but it makes me feel good to think my tires will actually last now :)
I had to raise the car up this much to get the camber this good!

However, in the front I was able to leave the GC halfway and also on the Koni lower perch leaving an almost 1 finger gap between the my 18's and fender. This looks good and with my front Ingalls camber kit the 18's don't stick out side of the fender and are at around -.6 I believe.

Anyways-- these are all the #'s from my alignment print out, my caster and toe is all in spec....damn everything is in spec now even the camber hehehe
BUT
my car seems to drift to the right!!!!!!!!! arrrggg
I took it back to Butler as soon as I left and realized this and they checked the alingment again and it was still the same-- they rotated my tires(which only have 2k on them), but still the car drifts to the right....why! It is minor, but it really bothers me as it didn't do it previously!

Sorry this post is so long :(

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Doug, whassup bro!

This may sound stupid...but have you possibly checked your tire pressures, make sure they are all even?

You may want to make sure your bolts on your suspension are torqued to specs. I did that with my car and it was a day/night difference on how my car handled with turns and bumps...everything is more linear. I think I also remember my car driving a little straighter too.

Otherwise, ask Butler if they can get another technician on the car or refund your money and try another place. Sounds a little fishy. I've always thought of Butler Tire as Butcher Tire. :D

Let us know if you find the problem.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
ummm Doug i hope it's not this but u might have a bent frame, see if u can take it somewhere to check that

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i almost forgot, was it a four wheel alignment?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it was 4 wheel

I have never been in an accident, nor has it even done this before
...?

·
Five- O
857 Posts
It could it be the tires. How old are they?
The same things happens to me when I switch over from my stock wheels to my 17 inch ones but it's b/c the tires are worn unevenly.

good luck
Esti

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Esti said:
It could it be the tires. How old are they?
The same things happens to me when I switch over from my stock wheels to my 17 inch ones but it's b/c the tires are worn unevenly.

good luck
Esti
That is what the tire place suggested, however these tires only have about 2k...they appear in perfect condition...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Legendary91L said:
Hey Doug, whassup bro!

This may sound stupid...but have you possibly checked your tire pressures, make sure they are all even?

You may want to make sure your bolts on your suspension are torqued to specs. I did that with my car and it was a day/night difference on how my car handled with turns and bumps...everything is more linear. I think I also remember my car driving a little straighter too.

Otherwise, ask Butler if they can get another technician on the car or refund your money and try another place. Sounds a little fishy. I've always thought of Butler Tire as Butcher Tire. :D

Let us know if you find the problem.
Hmmm...this may be the problem!
First off, Butler upped my tire pressure to 41 PSI! I asked why it was so high and they said that w/ 18's it is recommended to run that high of pressure...I though more like 37 PSI seemed right.
I think I'll remove some pressure tonight.

Also, while it was on the rack I noticed that one of the nuts was missing off of the rear sway bar(the bar is still in tack...I guess just not fully secure)...wierd...I'm going to go to the junk yard this week and find another one. The alignment guy at Butler suggested that this may be the cause-- so I'm going to get a nut and then torque it up right and take it back to make sure the alignment is still good.
Probably the problem!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Doug after all that, if it's still off have your frame measured......just cuz u didn't do anything to the car doesn't mean someone else didn't, don't forget not everything will show up on a Carfax report, especially if the cars' owners did repair themselves like we do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Doug,

I was just at Butler on Saturday, I had an alignment and balance done but it cleared up all my problems but just hit me hard in the pockets..But I must say they did an excellent job though (no vibration or swaying)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know this may seem a little obvious but you know how roads are sloped to the outside. So that means that in the States, where you drive on the right hand side, a car that has its shocks set evenly would logically drift to the right. I think the reason for this is so that rain doesn't cause puddles in the middle of the road. I was told this by a friend once and he said that shocks need to be adjusted accordingly. Hope you get your problem fixed.

Sim Garcha
1991 Acura Legend LS

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
I drove my old car for about 2k with the alignment off just a little. When the alignment was done the car pulled the other way. I rotated front to rear and it reduced the problem, but it never really went away until I bought new tires. Good Luck!
Later!
Lee

I never liked Butler tire either!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:

I never liked Butler tire either!
heh heh, yeah some of them act snobby huh, first time i went i never really felt comfterble there, i then found Kauffman tires, i've been to two locations and they make u feel...........alright:D

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
I don't really like Kauffman either. I use Sears for my tires, personal reasons. I use small shops for everything else. I find the treatment to be better. Also if you inspect the shops you can find ones with a high percentage of certified mechanics. That is hard to do at any chain. Just my 2 cents.
Later!
Lee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts