Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I freaked out yesterday cause I didn't understand what part was to be bent. Got everything installed last night. Bending the mounts so the bar lays straight across the middle was easy. Basically just bolt up the bar to one side at a time and twist.

The hard part was, getting the damn bar to clear over the intake manifold. How the hell did you all do it? After many cuts and bruises I ended up just putting some washers on the screw nearest to the engine and then bolt everything down. This left about 2-3 mm of clearance between the bar and the intake manifold.

My experiences: DEFINITELY BETTER! I can't speak if its better than the MLS strut bar since I've never been in a car with one. Turns are definitely a lot tighter and the body doesn't flex as much as it used to. For $28 I'm impressed.

Unfortunately, with the lack of clearance, I cannot put my valve covers back on. I'm thinking of cutting inserts in the covers so I can place it on top of my strut bar. I know...you won't see much of the strut bar...but I have painted valve covers and the fuel rail stuff looks disgusting.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help and if anyone has any questions, feel free to post.

G

·
Hey, Patrick did you decide not selling the Legend ??

I think there's got to be another way of doing it. I would'nt cut the valve covers though...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, unless I can find a way to make the brackets bend upwards which is almost impossible with any tool. I was thinking of getting a torch, but then again I wouldn't know how the integrity of the brackets would be after that. The other downfall would be hood clearance. If the brackets get pushed up too far, it's possible you won't be able to close the hood without shaving some parts of the brackets. Don't really want to do that either.

The valve covers are more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. So I'm probably going to end up cutting two holes on the sides of the covers so it will just sit on top of the strut bar just fine.

Cody, if you figure out another way, give me a hollar.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Leon,

I tried pretty hard to bend up and nothing was working. I shook the car pretty hard. I do not know how to get it bend up...I tried by attaching the strut bar to one part of the bracket and it wasn't going anywhere.

If you got any ideas, let me know. Otherwise I'm just gonna slit two holes through the side of the valve covers so I can put them on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
to get the clearance I put washers under the first bolt on each bracket. Then the bar fits nicely over the engine. It is not good for the bar to be touching the engine because the engine is designed to move alittle under hard acceleration. If the bar is holding it in it just puts a lot of stess on everything else.

After I put on the washers i could not close my hood so I grinded on the top of the brackets right above the bolts. I only grinded off about a millimeter but thats all I needed. Now it works great.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ordered on too...

Mine should arrive early next week. Hopefully we can get it to work because for $28 it is a good deal! Patrick let me know what you figure out-- actually what is your cell # again. We need to meet up-- I have not seen you in a while. Peace,
Doug

·
Registered
157 Posts
henderson said:
to get the clearance I put washers under the first bolt on each bracket. Then the bar fits nicely over the engine. It is not good for the bar to be touching the engine because the engine is designed to move alittle under hard acceleration. If the bar is holding it in it just puts a lot of stess on everything else.

After I put on the washers i could not close my hood so I grinded on the top of the brackets right above the bolts. I only grinded off about a millimeter but thats all I needed. Now it works great.
Could you psot a close-up pic of the part you shaved and the washers. Thanks!
Hiw many wahsers did you use, also what bolt did you put them under. All 3 or just 1?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used 3 washers and I didn't have to shave anything. Must be the thickness of the washers. I still have clearance over the engine so the bar is not touching.

Doug, my number is 404-664-5077. Give me a hollar sometime. I've just been going to school and work so I've been pretty busy.

G

·
Hey Leon and all my ATL peoples.. don't forget how and what parts are needed for this install cause i'll need help when I get back.. He He...:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys,

I put my valve covers on today without cutting anything. The bar rests on top of the valve covers and clears the intake manifold just fine. I loosened up my valve covers so it can have a little movement.

My hood closes just fine too and handling seems the same....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Legendary91L said:
I used 3 washers and I didn't have to shave anything. Must be the thickness of the washers. I still have clearance over the engine so the bar is not touching.

Doug, my number is 404-664-5077. Give me a hollar sometime. I've just been going to school and work so I've been pretty busy.
Thanks
I got rid of my pager so my new cell # is 678.549.0987

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will put a picture of my washers and shaving I did on here tonight. I don't think the washers take away from the handling one bit. I would recomend using the washers.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I got mine on today. It only took about 15min and i didnt need to use washers. Its pretty nice ill put a pic on here later im going to test it out some more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you left your valve covers on, you will probably not need washers. Basically the bar will rest on it and you can only tighten the brackets down so much because of this. Although it doesn't seem to take away from the handling any as far as I know. I've had it both ways...with and without the valve covers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts