Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new group member and need some advice.

I just purchased a Great 1988 Legend L Sedan. The car is pristine and looks and runs like new. Enegine is quiet, barely even a tick coming from it. Car is tight and runs strong.

HOWEVER, I took the car to an Acura dealer for a preventive maintenance
check and they "said" they discovered a few things:

1. Oil pan gasket is leaking
2. Head/valve cover gasket is leaking
3. Distributor O-Ring is leaking
4. Rack and pinion pump is bad (whining noise)
5. Lower ball joints need to be replaced
6. TRANSMISSION IS LEAKING

Of course, I am now pissed and having a heart attack at the same time. I am
looking at almost $5k in repairs when you include the tranny. QUESTIONS.....

1. The gaskets. Yes, they tend to go bad on older vehicles. But should I be
more concerned about what potential damage may have occurred because these
gaskets were leaking?

2. The car drives fine and I don't notice any noise or trouble from the
front end. Do I really need to replace the ball joints?

3. I assume the rack and pinion pump should be replaced. Agreed?

4. The leaky transmission is very worrisome. The car runs fine, but is
underpowered in "D" when under 2500-3000 rpm. It is more powerful in "S3"
and "S4" mode. The transmission does not slip and the engine doesn't rev
between gears. The cars shifts fine, just hard between first and second
gear. Is there some repair that can be done to a leaky trans short of an
expensive (cost-prohibitive) replacement?

I need some real advice and assistance from the group, please!!! The money I spent to purchase
it was a stretch, just because the car appeared to be in such excellent condition. I can't afford and major, costly repairs. If so, I couldve just
purchased a 1994 Legend!

Thanks,

Chris
'88 Legend L Sedan

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chris...

Take some deep breaths.... Good??

First... Get a good repair manual... Helm is best... ~$58 US... Haynes is good ~$15

When you said that the head/valve covers were leaking.... Which was it?? It is probably just the valve covers that are leaking... Not a difficult repair to do yourself... there are actually 4 covers (2 regular valve covers and 2 more on the sides of the head)... Parts will run you maybe $50... Time >1 hr....

Oil pan gasket and dist. O-ring are a little more difficult, but again you can do it... You will REALLY need to follow themanual for the distributor though because it has to go back in with the rotor facing the correct direction... You will have to mark it before removal...

You may be able to find a pump at a wrecker and do that....

I don't know about your mechanical abilities, but I don't find ball joints that difficult to do myself... You WILL need an alignment after doing it though... Shop time would be about an hour a side for ball joint replacement.

Transmission LEAKING.... Doesn't sound too bad to me... Probably the transmission oil pan seal... Just watch you don't run the fluid too low... Decide if you want to this yourself or not, but I would suggest you do a flush and fill with Honda Transmission fluid... A lot of problems have been mentioned on this forum about using fluid OTHER than the Honda ATF...

Total would be WELL under $1,000 !!!

Chear up and get your hands dirty !!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice

Thanks, I needed that!

Just as I figured. I have absolutely no problem getting my hands dirty and doing the work myself. I've done almost everything on my '85 Cressida and it is in great shape.

Hayne's manual is on order. I will look into doing some of these things myself in the coming months but for now, nothing appears to be urgent. The ball joints seem a bit intimidating, but depending on how adventurous I wanna be, I may give those a shot as well. .

Thanks again!

·
Registered
270 Posts
My suggestion... Safety wise... Do the ball joint soon... If you drive the car hard (I do !!!!), it could break... Depending on how far it's worn !!

Remember to keep an eye on that tranny fluid... Keep it at the top !! ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ball joins

Will do. Not really sure how worn they are. Judging from the other "suggestions" the dealer made, they may not be worn at all. But I will try and find a reasonable mechanic and get that work done pronto.

Thanks,

Chris
'88 L Sedan
Kenwood CD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts