Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sent here from the old site. Very nice ! I have a 1990 L Sedan; charcoal grey/black with 205 K km on it, A/T, cloth. I have owned it for 4 glorious months after purchasing it from my Dad. I have learned so much just reading your posts. Dad was paranoid about the tranny and the tapping engine valves; it's reassuring to know it is "common"

My only problem with the car now is that I have an oil leak; it's only happened twice; both times in -35C weather. Oil was found on the filter both times, less than 1/2 L oil loss in all. I'm changing the oil tomorrow. Dad has been using synthetic; I'm using 0W30 tomorrow; as it's still -35 here. Brrr.
Any advice ?
:D

A Cold Canadian
Vaff

PS I love those heated seats!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Some seepage from synthetic oil is normal in a car with that many miles... I fixed mine which was the side cover gaskets at 216,000 Kms. Especially when it' scold, everything will shrink and more leakage can happen... Don't worry, but your oil change may even fix it as you said it's coming from the oil filter area...

Where are you from ?? I'm in Kelowna, BC and it's like -15 C here !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New News and Questions

The mechanic didn't notice anything unusual about the old filter; he figured the extreme temps could have been enough to shrink the rings and allow a small leak.

I chickened out using synthetic again after reading some of the other posts and went back to good ol' 5W30. Plus, the cost of that stuff! $6/L!

What is so special about the oil filter that no one stocks it and I'm paying $20 for one?

Anyhow, they also noticed that the pan was wet, and recommended changing it next oil change. Based on the location of the oil, I don't think that was my problem though. Is that a do it your self job?

Finally, the axle boot was cracked, so the car's going back into the garage tomorrow to get that fixed.

Any answers/advice about the oil filter/ gasket appreciated.

Vaff

PS I live in Saskatchewan; hence the cold. Supposedly -38C tonight!:(

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ouch !! And I thought I was cold at -15 C... Yes, I belive that the pan gasket is a fairly easy DIY, but when it warms up, wash the engine down to make sure that's where it's from.... When my side covers were leaking, I had oil on the pan...

I don't know what's so special, but it probably has something to do with the oil cooler... I've priced them out here in Kelowna and found that the aftermarket ones are more expensive, so I'm just as happy to stay with the original!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.