Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sighs...yep she failed and i'm trying to figure out why?????

first off whould leaking vavle seals/or a car burning oil cause this problem???

my readings were

HYDROCARBONS CARBON MONOXIDE

std. = 0.80 std. = 15.0
mines = 2.13 mines = 17.7

and the bar grapghs....well not really a bar graph but the readings were all over the place.

they sent me to the office to tell me whats going on....and they did'nt know .

except my hc...unburned gasses ...
guys please help me out????????!!!
PLEASE!

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Usually High HC's like that would point to a bad Cat...was your car fully warmed up before you went in for testing? Sometimes its good to go for a nice quick High Speed highway drive (like 20 miles) just before emissions testing to get the Cat and engine nice and warm and running efficiently...

If you end up needing a new Cat get a generic Honda one of of Ebay for like $30-$50 shipped...

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yea...i did alot of city driving and highway....even drove her hard.

but if the engine was burning oil whould it cause me to fail emissions??

· Registered
658 Posts
Burning oil could indeed show up as excess HC. You could also have a borderline O2 sensor. Poor fuel mileage recently?

Does your area test for NOx? If it was high, that and the high HC and CO would point to a bad cat.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the cat is no good .
we don't test for NOx.... well it said n/a.
but the hydro carbons and carbon monoxide are high.

the o2 sensors are giving a reading of .3volts @ idle.
when revved to 5,000 rpms it goes up to .5v and back down to .3v while still revving @ 5,000rpms

· Registered
4,259 Posts
Your right 2.7legend... Hydrocarbons (HC) are essentially fuel which was not burned during the combustion process.

The main sources of incomplete combustion are;
> rich air/fuel mixtures
> low engine temperature
> improper spark timing

Yeah, might as well look into a new cat... do as sam suggested.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is formed when not enough oxygen is present during the combustion process.
> high carbon monoxide (CO) emission = high hydrocarbon (HC) emission
Because of the lack of oxygen to completely burn all of the fuel mixture.

Bad O2 sensor will also give high Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) which does not apply in your case, burning oil is the least of your problem... hope this helps!

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea that does help alot! THANKS GUYS/GALS.
i mean the valve seals are the problem and it only smokes when you take off.
so when they had it on the machine, i figured the only time it did it was when he first took off.

as said before i'm getting a reading of .3v at idle...yea it switches but within the .3's.

i'm assuming the cat could be clogged causeing this to happen.
meanwhile she has been kinda hesistant......

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Cool glad you got everything firgured out man...i forgot to mention that if you go with an Ebay cat, if you are at all interested in performance, they also sell those 50 state legal High Flow cats for decent prices as well but if your not ineterested in high flow, just go with the generic Honda one...the price is right either way though!!

· Registered
658 Posts
Bad O2 sensor will also give high Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx)
I'll have to disagree. A bad O2 sensor will cause the computer to default to a very rich mixture so as not to cause damage. This causes high HC and CO, true, but in addition, it cools the combustion chamber and NOx goes WAY down.

High NOx is caused by a plugged Exhaust Gas Recirculation line or bad recirc control valve(s). NOx is directly proportional to combustion temperature -- higher temps = higher NOx.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
slartibartfast said:
A bad O2 sensor will cause the computer to default to a very rich mixture so as not to cause damage. This causes high HC and CO, true, but in addition, it cools the combustion chamber and NOx goes WAY down.

High NOx is caused by a plugged Exhaust Gas Recirculation line or bad recirc control valve(s). NOx is directly proportional to combustion temperature -- higher temps = higher NOx.
Agreed, 100% slartibartfast... poor choice of words in my part :D

When air-fuel mixture is richer, the level of oxygen is low. As the mixture becomes leaner, oxygen levels increase quickly.

The purpose of EGR is to reduce NOx emissions at specified times.

NOx : 3.30 ppm and CO2 : 481.9% hmmm... test results are backwards?

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i need to clean my egr valve??
i know the lift sensor works.
plus i belive if it was a vac. leak with in those line that connects to the egr it'll throw the light too.

so i remove it and clean it??

· Registered
658 Posts
Any idea as what units those numbers are reported in? Weight percent? Parts per million? Grams per mile?

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also i have some engine noises...maybe yall can describe them for me....
it's mlike a clatter.
it happens when the engine is fully warm and when the rpm's reach 3,000-4,000rpms.

the weird thing is tough it only does it when......
okay lets say that if you had your car in 2nd and it reaches a certain speed and the engine rpms are around 3,000-4,000rpms.
it does'nt do it when you press harder on the throttle or when it decelerates it only does it when there's a "slight/light"? load.

and 4,100rpms and up it does'nt do it either........
help please.....

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea i'm getting pinging too...
one of the reasons i'm running premium.
but that seem to only happen when i had the flex pipe replaced.
(it's not a good one either).....

guys i'm really starting to worry...the thing that very little phases me is the car runs so damn good...

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update....well i was outside this morning started her up.
i opened her oil cap to see what was going on as for oil wise.
i looked inside and there' was stream of oil (compared to when there's alot of oil thats usally spraying around inside).
i figured dam its either the mobil one oil or my oil filter is dirty.
one way i know if the filter is clogged is when it starts leaking around the base.
which it was...but i'm still gonna replace it.
so once i seen the oil come out more i revved the engine to hear the noise.
and it sounds like it was coming from cyl # 3....so something told me to discconect the sparkplug wire.
i did and it went away.

so i know this is not good in fact when i did a compression test this cylinder got 150psi...while the others got 155psi.

so tell me guys...what's going on.

i know it can't be rod bearings....the rod bearings were out on my z26 and thats not whats going on with this......

is it???????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.