Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,696 Posts
i have done my own body work b4, and i definatly think that your fender needs replaced. it looks like it is creased near the top, and if its creased you cant fix it 99 percent of the time(unless you maybe bondo the crap out of it)

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
ya that fenders a goner

· Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,354 Posts
I agree with what has been posted. It's a goner. I would try and find a fender. You may even get lucky and find one the same color. Email this guy and see if he has a fender:

Bil Westmoreland
[email protected]

I have bought parts from him in the past and been very satisfied. Great service and great prices.

· Registered
162 Posts
Who would repaint it? You or a body shop? Painting is very expensive. At least $100/Liter. Then you have to mix and everything. You need to get the color right, and then blend in with the hood and dr door. It looks minimal, but a body shop would charge at least $1500 for that. It takes someone that knows what they are doing to paint it and blend it right. Blending takes the whole car and the neigboring panels need to be repainted to make it look good. If you think that you can save a lot, then take the old fender off and put the new one on yourself, then take it to a body shop and have it painted and blended. I thought about doing this with my Camry, as the front bumper is really torn up and needs replacing, but they only want 60 bucks to take the old one off and put the new one on the rest is in paint ($500 total to replace the bumper).

· Registered
9,369 Posts
stir_fry_boy said:
Who would repaint it? You or a body shop? Painting is very expensive. At least $100/Liter. Then you have to mix and everything. You need to get the color right, and then blend in with the hood and dr door. It looks minimal, but a body shop would charge at least $1500 for that. It takes someone that knows what they are doing to paint it and blend it right. Blending takes the whole car and the neigboring panels need to be repainted to make it look good. If you think that you can save a lot, then take the old fender off and put the new one on yourself, then take it to a body shop and have it painted and blended. I thought about doing this with my Camry, as the front bumper is really torn up and needs replacing, but they only want 60 bucks to take the old one off and put the new one on the rest is in paint ($500 total to replace the bumper).
the painting is expensive. I know many people that have pulled off good paint jobs with paint match spray paint and a clean garage. The trick is learning to wet sand. If you go this way you will learn a good bit, and save a ton. Most likely the job will not be perfect, but you will be proud of it.

You could take just the new fender to a pro, but as stated the matching to other panels is important.

Later!
Lee

· Registered
819 Posts
I had similar damage to my right front fender and located a fender on ebay. I paid
about $120.00 including shipping (parcel post and in bubble wrap!!) I also bought
a new oem turn/corner light and I repaired a cracked bracket on the headlight.
The turn/corner light was about $50.00 on ebay. My coupe is cobalt blue pearl and
the used fender was graphite. I had it painted before installation for $299.00 and
later claybarred the car except for the replacement fender. The match is very good.
except for a small sag just under the plastic side trim (arrrggghh.) The project requires
taking the bumper/front end off. The hardest part was learing where all the required
bolts were. Even with pictures from the shop manual CD, it was a challenge for me to
get the bumper lights off. I did the entire procedure by myself in about 4-5 hours.
If you have a helper to assist reinstalling the bumper/front end, it will help. It is also
a good opportunity to repair/reattach the lower bumper panel if you have torn it loose
after parking too close to a tire stop/curb. My total cost was about $500.00. The
shop estimate was $2500.00 with dealer price replacements. I still have small abrasions on the bumper but am content. This is the car with 240,000 miles and a
leaking head gasket, plus a worn leather panel on the driver's seat. If you have an
acquaintance who has removed a front bumper, it will cut time considerably. Tools
required are 10 mm, 12 mm socket and flat wrenches, an 8-10 inch extension for
sockets, maybe a phillips screw driver, some wd-40; nothing tricky. Check out
the search function. I recall a DIY with photos for a headlight change and a bumper
repair. If you get the new fender first, you can see where the bolts are. Make sure
you get the front fender brace with the new fender if you can. Yours is probably bent.
(It extends from the engine compartment to the front of the wheel well. just behind
the turn light area.) I had to remove the air intake assembly to get to one of those bolts. Sorry about the length of this; I still omitted some details. Good luck.

· ¿HöNdÄ LëGëNd¿
900 Posts
stir_fry_boy said:
1500 ha ha that is way over priced i'm a painter at a shop and we would only charge about 300 to 400 on that not 1500, the reason is beacuse it does have to be blended to make sure color blends to make sure the color is the same. When you color match it will never and let me say this again it will never come out exactly the same it is very difficult, also the color red is a very expensive colors, besides some metalics, pearls and candy's. if you want a good job the best thing to do is to get the fender yourself unless the shop can get it for the same price or better. and ask them how they are gonna do the job and if they guarantee the work and paint, and for how long. The paint we guarantee is for 10 yrs and if it fades, peels or chips, before the 10 yrs are up we will repaint, also make sure they use good paint as in DUPONT OR phhhfff PPG. i prefer dupont but people have their own preference. but you can't try to fix it yourself but it's better to have a professional do it, unless your low on cash than just try to get it as close a possible with you skills on body work. than go from there.

· Registered
162 Posts
nismo_240 said:
1500 ha ha that is way over priced i'm a painter at a shop and we would only charge about 300 to 400 on that not 1500, the reason is beacuse it does have to be blended to make sure color blends to make sure the color is the same. When you color match it will never and let me say this again it will never come out exactly the same it is very difficult, also the color red is a very expensive colors, besides some metalics, pearls and candy's. if you want a good job the best thing to do is to get the fender yourself unless the shop can get it for the same price or better. and ask them how they are gonna do the job and if they guarantee the work and paint, and for how long. The paint we guarantee is for 10 yrs and if it fades, peels or chips, before the 10 yrs are up we will repaint, also make sure they use good paint as in DUPONT OR phhhfff PPG. i prefer dupont but people have their own preference. but you can't try to fix it yourself but it's better to have a professional do it, unless your low on cash than just try to get it as close a possible with you skills on body work. than go from there.
I was talking total cost. Not just paint cost. But you are right, Most places that do good body work warranty their work for a lifetime.

· Registered
10 Posts
Hey Stir Fry- Nismo is pretty much right about the paint. I myself used to paint cars and sell automotive paint- don't fool with it. For that small of a job you will have $300-400 tied up in liquids alone (if two stage red pearl add more). Throw in sand paper and a good spray gun, dry clean compressed air and you get in real deep. You will have to blend that red at least on the door to match (remember if you have stock paint job, it may look nice and shiny but the color has changed since manufacture). A lot of painters will do a job like that on the side for $200 bucks- (they have the clear, sealer, hardeners (activators for you Sikkens snobs) so not much money for them. Do make sure the painter uses high end product- Dupont, Sikkens, PPG, Sherwin, BASF and not second tier junk like Nason, Lesonal, Omni, Dimension, or Limco. Get the part used or aftermarket (they guarantee fit in most cases) and prep yourself. You can do this for under $500.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.