Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to take off the chrome trim around the side windows of the car, as well as the side skirts, the trim about half way up the side of the doors and all the door handles.

Has anyone done this and if so, is there anything I should know, etc, etc?

Thanks for the help.

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump. I am going to to this today. Any advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
993 Posts
The window trim is amost impossible to take off without breaking the clips ... then you either have to replace it, or attach it with some adheasive. The lower skirts are just scews and clips, so problem. The side molding is glued on, as well as clipped, and you will likely ruin it, unless you use a heat gun and go VERY slowly. Be careful, since all thse parts are $$$$

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ScotcH said:
The lower skirts are just scews and clips, so problem.
Did you mean "no problem"?

Thanks a ton for the help. This is exactly what I was worried about. Looks like I will not be taking off my trim, maybe just the lower skirts.

· Registered
81 Posts
I read somewhere here in the forums about members "blacking out" the chrome trim. Are you trying to simply go chrome-less or is there another reason you need to remove the trim?

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R.dub said:
I read somewhere here in the forums about members "blacking out" the chrome trim. Are you trying to simply go chrome-less or is there another reason you need to remove the trim?
No, I really like the chrome trim. I am getting the car painted this next week and thought I could save some $$ on labor if I did it myself.

· Registered
2,535 Posts
mondonalds said:
I need to take off the chrome trim around the side windows of the car, as well as the side skirts trim about half way up the side of the doors and all the door handles.

Has anyone done this and if so, is there anything I should know, etc, etc?

Thanks for the help.
chrome trim - The top part is almost impossible without breaking clips. The lower part is easy. Just remove the door panel and you'll find 2 nuts holding each one in place.

side skirts - you can remove them from the inside of the door. Just remove the door panel and get your favoirte pliers. If you are talking about the bottom trim side skirts, you will break everyclip and pay 60bucks for brand new ones.

door handles - have not dont that yet.

How fast do you need all this information? I'm preping my car for paint next week. I can write tutorials if you want.

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ballistic said:
side skirts - you can remove them from the inside of the door. Just remove the door panel and get your favoirte pliers. If you are talking about the bottom trim side skirts, you will break everyclip and pay 60bucks for brand new ones.
Oh, I can see why you were confused as to what I was talking about. I fixed the first post. I will be doing both.

Ballistic said:
okay, i see you need it by next week. Around what day? Mid-week?
Well, actually I am dropping off my car Monday morning, and was hoping to do it today (Saturday). I dont think I need detailed pics, etc. I am not too bad at figuring stuff out. I was mainly wondering about which ones people have had trouble with i.e. breaking clips, breaking the trim, etc and maybe ways to get it done faster, pretty much like what you posted in your post above.

· Registered
2,535 Posts
mondonalds said:
Oh, I can see why you were confused as to what I was talking about. I fixed the first post. I will be doing both.

Well, actually I am dropping off my car Monday morning, and was hoping to do it today (Saturday). I dont think I need detailed pics, etc. I am not too bad at figuring stuff out. I was mainly wondering about which ones people have had trouble with i.e. breaking clips, breaking the trim, etc and maybe ways to get it done faster, pretty much like what you posted in your post above.
If you figure out the door handle, please post a DIY. I attempted it for 2 hours without any luck. I sure don't want to remove the window motors.

Another thing for the side skirts, when you start to snap each clip, do it extremely slowly or you will bend the skirt itself.

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ballistic said:
If you figure out the door handle, please post a DIY. I attempted it for 2 hours without any luck. I sure don't want to remove the window motors.

Another thing for the side skirts, when you start to snap each clip, do it extremely slowly or you will bend the skirt itself.
Will do. The problem is, I dont have a digital camera, so I guess I will just have to develop the pics and scan them in.

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ballistic said:

I posted a DIY for the door handle removal. I got pretty good by the last one, it only took me 5 minutes.

1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ballistic said:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Seriously... i'm so amped right now. You saved me so much time
I just wish I could do more DIY's. So much of my time has been saved by others posting great DIY's. I just need to get a digital camera.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.