Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago everybody on the Legend board was hot on Finish First car polish. http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/ I got some and was very pleased with the results as it provided a much higher gloss than other waxes.

I was wondering if any of you used to use Finish First and have changed to something else. What have you changed to and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
jime said:
A couple of years ago everybody on the Legend board was hot on Finish First car polish. http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/ I got some and was very pleased with the results as it provided a much higher gloss than other waxes.
Question - did u do it by hand or do it by buffing machine?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asianlegend,

I always hand polish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
After Finish First I tried Zymol and another local (I think) product called Fat Guy Bob's.

I wasn't really too impressed with Zymol, plus I think it I may be allergic to one of the ingredients. A rash broke out on my hand after using it.

Fat Guy Bob's is a carnuba based mixture that all the bikers around here use. It's not very easy to apply and remove, however it does give a nice deep look to you paint. I would reccomend it if your paint is already in very good condition.

Anyways, I've decided to go back to Finish First. It is very easy to apply and remove, it last forever, and it looks good.

Maybe somebody reading this can give me advice for my wifes car. It is a 97 Prelude. I think it is the same color of some Legends (San Marino Red). On the hood and trunk it looks like I'm getting some oxidation. I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. Also, the wax just doesn't seem to last at all. I mean on my car. I can wash it several times (even run through an automatic) and water still beads up real nicely. However, on the Prelude it seems like the next time I wash it the wax is gone. I wax it and you can no longer see the haziness (from the oxidation, if that's what it is) and the next week I can see it again. Does it have something to do with the color or is the paint just jacked???

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I had a similar problem on my Prelude. I ended up using Mother's Clay Bar to get rid of all the hidden grime and dirt on the car before waxing and polishing the car. You can get it and it usually comes in a kit at any automotive store. It cost me around $13.99 and comes with a clay bar, carnauba (sp?) wax, and a bottle of polish too! Unfortunately, my oxidation was past due (too lazy to do it earlier), so it took off some, but some of the more serious oxidation already ate the paint away. So, if you got a minor issue, this will work wonders, if it's a major issue, maybe not so. Other than that, you can try and post on the prelude websites (I am on there too, cuz I use to own a 3G Prelude) - www.hondaprelude.com or www.preludeonline.com or the general honda/acura website www.honda-acura.net.

jcbmrtn said:
Anyways, I've decided to go back to Finish First. It is very easy to apply and remove, it last forever, and it looks good.

Maybe somebody reading this can give me advice for my wifes car. It is a 97 Prelude. I think it is the same color of some Legends (San Marino Red). On the hood and trunk it looks like I'm getting some oxidation. I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. Also, the wax just doesn't seem to last at all. I mean on my car. I can wash it several times (even run through an automatic) and water still beads up real nicely. However, on the Prelude it seems like the next time I wash it the wax is gone. I wax it and you can no longer see the haziness (from the oxidation, if that's what it is) and the next week I can see it again. Does it have something to do with the color or is the paint just jacked???

·
Registered
120 Posts
jcbmrtn said:
After Finish First I tried Zymol and another local (I think) product called Fat Guy Bob's.

I wasn't really too impressed with Zymol, plus I think it I may be allergic to one of the ingredients. A rash broke out on my hand after using it.

Fat Guy Bob's is a carnuba based mixture that all the bikers around here use. It's not very easy to apply and remove, however it does give a nice deep look to you paint. I would reccomend it if your paint is already in very good condition.

You may want to try the Finish Prep from LiquiTech. This stuff really works well to prep the paint before you apply the Finish First. After prepping just add the recommended coats of Finish First. Remember it's putting a polymer coat on top of the paint in layers, just like Zaino. This will protect the finish for a lot longer than any wax. Btw it sounds like there's no clearcoat on the car or it's worn off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts