Acura Legend Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 282 Posts

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Any news or extra instructions? Puting it back together should be the easy part aside from keeping stuff in order and not throwing any CEL codes once its back together....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
While I'm in the process of posting I figured I'd post a pic of my finished product. This pic is 1000 miles after the gasket job. I have to replace my a\c condensor pulley as it seized up and snapped my belt. I'll get some pics of that as well.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why White smoking.....Head gasket?

My car recently started smoking. Not heavy while I Idle sitting still ...like at a signal light.... but when I take off.....Puff the Magic Dragon..If pump the gaswhile in park I get the same thing after letting it idle.
It does not run hot. The needle is in the normal area (4 O'clock Position)
The anitifreeze resvoir is near empty though

I guess my question is :

Is it the Head Gasket...Rings...or i was even told to check the PCV valve?? the cause of the white smoke. It does it every day and it is not extremely heavy but i can can see it in my reaview mirror when i take off
if i need to rebuild the head gaskets will i need to replace the radiator too?

would someo ne tell me the different causes of white smoke?

I have a 93 Acura Legend L ,4DR with 241,000miles.. It runs great. If it was not for the smoke i would not be worried about it and i am trying to decide if I should keep it or repair it..of course it is paid for...Need a little knowledge

just put a fuell pump and a main relay in it

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Could be your PCV valve, although that is pretty rare on these cars. Also check your Oil level and mileage since last oil change to see if you're burning any. Another check is your Spark plugs, if you're burning a lot of anything that isnt normal they will usually show whats wrong.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
great pics:)

5. After I took it back complaining like h*ll. The manager was nice enough to offer me $1000.00 off of the head gasket job which he originally quoted for $3000.00+ . I'm like O.K. who is the genius certified mechanic who diagnosed my problem the 1st time I came in? Which mechanic in these 20 pictures on the wall here do I have to thank for wasting my money and time? I grabbed my keys, ran over the manager, dumped a quart of anti freeze on the mechanic, and did a Michael Knight right through the garage door!!!!
ROFL!:giggle:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Head Gasket Problem?

Ok, I'm still kind of new on the forums but i'm learning a lot. However, i cannot seem to find the end to my cooling system problem. Sorry it's kind of long but i'm really frustrated. Here it is:
One day at a gas station while i left the car idling, i come back out and suddenly all of my coolant is gushing out of the bottom right in front of my eyes. After refilling coolant temporarily, the car started sputtering out at low rpms and stalling (automatic). So I took it to a so-called trustworthy mechanic (not anymore) and asked him to look at it. Him and his mechanic friends could not tell right away but after a while told me I have to change my water pump it's leaking and the condensor fan which activates the fan for cooling is burnt out so i had those changed. Still doing it; so then it was the radiator now. Got that changed. Now it's a sensor so dont worry just change a sensor and it'll be fine. Meantime, the temp gauge is redlining and back down with ram air and up and down and throttle reving high and low when cold kind of like Ice-Mans. So i was just about to put it away fro the winter the otehr day anyways and figure it all out afterwards (sick of wasting more money with useless mechanics). The last day that i had it out, just as i pulled into my parking lot at work, temp gauge still playing games; pfff and theres smoke from under my hood and when i checked to see, all i could tell was it was coming from somewhere by the firewall. Before that, i remember my heater wasn't working consistently either just like Ice-Mans. So i called my friend aircraft-mechanic at my school and he and another few guys told me its a heater core or something like that has blown because of which the heater was also acting up. Now, from Ice-Mans thread it looks like i have a bad head gasket, but now with this heater core problem, i'm confused and fed up and pissed off after spending about a grand and a half in cooling system problems and i dont want to see that mechanics face again. Can someone help?

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
If you have steam coming from the passenger side of the firewall check your heater core hoses to see if they're leaking. The question is, are you losing anti-freeze?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Head Gasket Problem?

Hey thanks for the quick response and yes i did find antifreeze (lots of it) probably all of it, on the ground when i came back from work so i put more back in to get the car home. There was too much steam at the time to tell which side it was coming from, minded it wasn't in the cabin it was from under the hood. If it is the heater core, should i change that first then look at the head gasket? Also, when i did a spark plug change a couple of weeks ago, my AME (aircraft maintenance engineer) saw oil on the plugs and said i might have a cracked oil ring and might soon need an overhaul. This guy knows what he's talking about and i trust him but he doesnt have a shop to do my work. My question is, if i have a bad head gasket and i get the overhaul done, will that cover that part too?
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Puff the Masjic Dragon(White Smoke)

Ok thanks Dethred, I was told about a year ago I was burning oil...when I got an oil change at Firestone. The level was low and the oil light came on! But the oil light has never came on again.. I am not that mechnically inclined..
so most of the time I take it to the shop for repairs which were mostly brakes.
I wanted to get a tune up since I did not get one when I bought it and have put 40,000 miles on the car since I purchased it. But if I need head gaskets wouldn't that be a waste of money .....meaning would I have to get it tuned after the head gasket job too.

and what about a new radiator?? if it head gaskest are leaking fluid into the radiator then i need a new one right.

I appreciate any answers/resposes..trying to get it repair the best and cheapest way....but quality work... I love my 93 Acura Legend...will post a picture soon.

Runs great just trying to solve problems before they get to the point where it is not driveable

Questions

1. Do I need a new radiator. if the head gasket is leaing inot the radiator?

2. Should I tune up before head gasket job?

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
Hey i just finally read through the walk through...

i noticed you said dont take it off at the EGR...but it looks you did what i did, and too it off at the EGR:giggle: yea that was a blizitch to get to. but it went fine. I've got head removal down to like 5 hours now. i've got the whole process memorized, but you got the process documented....hot greasy bacon:bowdown:

nice job on cleaning up the ports:D

oh and LOL about the knock sensor...i'm STILL rollin around with a CEL for the knock sensor...im going to replace it soon though. 163 bones from that acura dealer here.

i only broke one but it was 1 too many. i think it's the Left knock sensor that i terrorized.

lowest quoted price i got wsa like 1500 for the job...

i ended up spending 240 dollars...i borrowed a friends tools:D found an air ratchet and a compressor in my garage so i was good.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
Positivelyyours2000 said:
Questions

1. Do I need a new radiator. if the head gasket is leaing inot the radiator?

2. Should I tune up before head gasket job?
it would be good practice to replace the radiator, but it's not a necessity unless you've got green crusty stuff all around the top of the radiator. that green stuff is the radiator leaking.

if you want to tune up, do it during...buy all the parts you need.

i bought some spark plugs....but that's if. you may want to change your air filter and your spark plugs. not too much else really to replace for a "tune up" on this car. specifically the G2...no plug wires, no rotor buttons or distributors, nothing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Questions 1. Do I need a new radiator. if the head gasket is leaing inot the radiator? 2. Should I tune up before head gasket job?[/QUOTE said:
IMHO you should replace the radiator every 100k. the radiator is a silent killer of these cars. They clog up at the bottom and you never know it until it to late.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Valve guide seals

Ok i have been on here asking questions about white smoke.

after reading and going to a couple of shops... I feel it is the Valve guide seals.. should I get the heads done too. It is not overheating.

What parts do ineed to do a Valve guide seal job?

·
Spiral descent
5,004 Posts
The_Iceman said:
5. .... If you strip them or can not get them off, use an air hammer with chissel attachment to fracture the bolts "NOT THE SCREWS DO NOT DAMAGE THEM YOU HAVE TO PUT NUTZ BACK ON THEM" You may want to try a nut breaker tool if you are not comfortable working with an air chissle. Choose your weapon wisely.
Awesome thread. Thanks Iceman. I think I am missing something. You say use an air hammer to fracture the bolts, and then you say 'not the screws..'.
What's the difference? Did you mean, fracture the nuts?
I actually did strip a nut on mine, so I want to see what you mean. Also, what is a nut breaker tool?
Thanks.

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
Also, when i did a spark plug change a couple of weeks ago, my AME (aircraft maintenance engineer) saw oil on the plugs and said i might have a cracked oil ring and might soon need an overhaul. This guy knows what he's talking about and i trust him but he doesnt have a shop to do my work.
He is wrong. Everyone assumes this at first. This is caused by a leaking valve cover oring/seal. It's a "hemi head style valvecover.The oil leaks from the top of the head into the spark plug cavity. The oil stays on the outside of the cylinder. All Legends do this. The headgasket gasket set comes with these seals.

21 - 40 of 282 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.