Acura Legend Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 282 Posts

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
You didnt follow the cardinal rule with HG replacement. Since the engine was apart you should have changed the valve seals and other pertinent things. Blue smoke definatly means oil is burning. Not so sure on the blown rings thing though. How often does the smoke come out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here we go...

Well I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I had a cracked Cranshaft pulley and one of the sections came right off of the hub!! The used replacement I got has the same stress cracks in it!!:mad: So I said screw it might as well address the intermittent rising of the temp gauge, and screwy high idle. Besides it looks cool and I want to drive this car for along time. I'm up to the ignition coils...

Let's hope for the best.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if anyone has done this job before..umm i cant loosen the screws that the driver side pulley is connected too..the whole pulley seems to turn when i try to unscrew it..anyone has any tips on what to do?

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
PearlWhiteLedge said:
if anyone has done this job before..umm i cant loosen the screws that the driver side pulley is connected too..the whole pulley seems to turn when i try to unscrew it..anyone has any tips on what to do?
Make sure the tensioner screw is going through the AC compressor pulley, that will prevent the pulley from rotating with the bolt. If its the Alternator then you need to loosen the bolt below the Alternator and then loosen the tensioner, you dont have to actually remove the pulley for it. Power Steering pump is the same procedure as the AC compressor.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Dethred said:
Make sure the tensioner screw is going through the AC compressor pulley, that will prevent the pulley from rotating with the bolt. If its the Alternator then you need to loosen the bolt below the Alternator and then loosen the tensioner, you dont have to actually remove the pulley for it. Power Steering pump is the same procedure as the AC compressor.
I think he's talking about the camshaft pulley.

I used an impact gun to break those bolts loose, it gets it quick and easy. Otherwise you need to use a belt strap to hold it still

·
Registered
94 Posts
PearlWhiteLedge said:
Lacking an impact wrench, the method I used was this, though it may be a little hard to visualize: I put a wrench on one bolt, and another wrench on the second bolt. Squeeze the two wrenches together until the first bolt breaks breaks loose, and remove. Do the same for the next bolt, but do not remove. Use it as leverage to break the third one loose, and remove it. Yes, as you freed the third bolt, you tightened the second, but not near as tight as it was. Wedge a piece of wood abut the width of the timing belt against the pulley and remove the third bolt.

Convoluted a bit, but it worked for me.

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Mike Diaz said:
I think he's talking about the camshaft pulley.

I used an impact gun to break those bolts loose, it gets it quick and easy. Otherwise you need to use a belt strap to hold it still
Whoops! I couldn't get mine off with an impact wrench, so I sent it off to the machine shop with them still on.

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Mike Diaz said:
You should have told them you were taking it somewhere else. Some people are just stupid.
Obviously I'm the fool. Oh well, i got it all cleaned and resurfaced for $75 so it wasn't too bad. Didn't have to drive far at all either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
bicball said:
i'm looking around for head gasket sets, ebay has these two:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-9...33617QQitemZ8069147125QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACUR...33667QQitemZ8070506207QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

both for 80 dollars, i was wondering if they were the same thing as acura sells or if either was better or something?
I bought a set from a guy on Ebay, advertised as "Ishino". What came in the mail was something packaged as "Stone". This guy asserted they were in fact Ishino but agreed to take them back. This particular seller has been difficult to deal with (Trusty Auto Parts) and I've had to initiate a claim via PayPal.

I wound up buying an "Ishino" set from my mechanic, $210.

I don't know who makes the Acura OEM, but doubt it is what you see advertised. Most likely, they are Chinese or other non-Jap parts. Acura gets $500+ for a gasket set. Other posters have used Fel-Pro ($250-$300).

·
Registered
118 Posts
bicball said:
so i guess the 80 dollar kits aren't on par?
You'd need to be a gasket expert to provide a good answer to that. While paying more is no guarantee of anything, the Ishino types are selling for between $200-$300 and Fel-Pro around $300. As mentioned, Acura is off the charts but they intend to stock parts for a good profit!

Ishino is a pretty well known gasket company and the set I bought were made in Japan. I'd be concerned about some knock off version from China, Indonesia or the Phillipines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FAN PROBLEM BHG????????

i'M WONDERING IF i MAY BE GETTINR A BGH FUTURE PROBLEM.

MY FANS COMES ON AND OFF, EVEN WHEN THE ENGINE IS JUST STARTING UP AFTER SITTING FOR HOURS. MY TEMP GAUGE IS STEADY. IS THIS A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME?

1991 COBALT BULE L SEDAN
ORIGINAL OWNER 124K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oil leak

I have a huge oil leak now I just did my head gasket my self and now its leaking oil by the power stering pump and in front were the right side timimg cover is any suggestions before:( I pull everything back a Part:(

81 - 100 of 282 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.