Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Me and my buddy were planning on tackling a blown head gasket in his 95 galant. We are both mechanically inclined. Can somebody who has done this before give me an idea of how hard it will be to do it ourselves.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your question is impossible to answer as you only specified you were "mechanically inclined". What is the most complex automotive repair you have performed? Do you have a full set of tools including torque wrenches? Do you have a Service Manual for the vehicle or at a minimum, applicable pages providing bolt torque specs? Have you lined up a shop to machine the head and/or check it to determine whether it is still serviceable?

If you do "jump into" this repair, I would suggest that you buy ziplocks and index cards to keep track of what hardware goes where. Taking a few photos before you begin will help. Have some means of labeling all hoses/lines.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
all sound advice ^ there. is it a V6 galant or a I4. V6 make sure add a couple more hors or if you have to days to the job. under estimating a headgasket job is the worst thing you can do. make sure you have a comprehensive manual, not haynes nor chiltons, BUT HELMS. Chiltons is some Sheitons, and Haynes can hold my nuts. all the right tools are necessary, most foreign cars the sizes most used are 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm(there will be some odd sizes like 6mm or 19mm or some un expected sizes).

most important remember where everything goes. keep track of everything. some people need baggies some need labels i just put every part in a group in relation to what they held on or what part of the engine they came off of. do the thing that best help you.

you say your mechanically inclined. how so? you done some of this before. bid you good luck and never....never underestimate the Legends head gasket. hope you have fun on this galant job. HG Jobs are fun.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys. First up thanks for the sound advise. Invaluable. It is a Four cylinder galant(2.4litre). Looks pretty simple when u open up the hood. Me and my bud have worked on the simpler portions of the car before. Like rebuilding the distributor and other basic stuff like spark plugs, wires, fuel filters etc. The only reason we hesitate on doing the head gasket job is because we do not have the right tools. Dont wanna get in head over heels and then look like royal fools with our feet up our asses:D. But we do plan on researching the whole thing thoroughly before unscrewing the first bolt. Thanks again for the advise as to which manual to choose. As for handling the Legend V6...it might be a little bit out of our league. Perhaps with more experience. Being able to work on cars has been my life long dream:) Now to go see about those tools....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.