Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my excitement of getting my Remus installed and my Brembo X-drilled put on I got some very bumming news. Leaking headgasket cyl #3. I am looking at around $1500 to have it fixed. Rather than letting this lemon sour my experience with my Ledge I am making lemonade. I have found a reputable shop in the area that can do some performance work to my heads. I have ordered the Helms manual so I can disassemble the heads myself and have the machine shop do the work. I have a mechanic available to help me put everything back together in the end. I took out a line of credit so I can get this work done, as a result I have some significant cash available to get performance work done.

Here's my question. In addition to having the shop mill the heads true again what other types of machining should I have done? They can do a 3-angle valve job fairly cheaply but what other things do you do to your head when you have it built for naturally aspirated power? Any motor heads newschool or old please fill me in. Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
HEAD WORK OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can also have the intake and exhaust ports on the head extrude honed. This will smooth out any rough surfaces you should also have the intake plenum, throttle body and exhaust manifold exruded honed as well the gains will be well worth it. Also install some high performance valve springs with titanium retainers. If you have any more questions go to www.paeco.com and check out their site and get their number so that they can better answer any questions you are going to have. Good luck on your project and let us know how it turns out. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
yea, like Mr. Biggs said, get 3 angle valve job, port polished, throttle body, maybe new cam rods and pistons, the retainer springs, and then while you are at it, you should paint your cover, so it looks nice, just an idea.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
ridinlowlegend said:
yea, like Mr. Biggs said, get 3 angle valve job, port polished, throttle body, maybe new cam rods and pistons, the retainer springs, and then while you are at it, you should paint your cover, so it looks nice, just an idea.
Sounds like you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Nothings going to give you more power than PORTING & PORT MATCHING for the $$.
Don't Even think about Force inducing your Legend if you have the Head milled down without some serious tuning equiptment. When you raise the commpression you raise you chance for detonation.

a 5 angle valve job would be better.

YOu can think about Valves, valve springs, cams and retainers when you have an engine pumping out some serious HP and have plenty of $$

~Hybrid

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Oh my god. Christian and me are agreeing again.

Definitely port match and the 5 angle valve job. I would extrude hone the intake manifold runner section (it's really rough, everything else is die cast and pretty smooth). The head ports are so short it's only when your going for broke that you'd work them. Just blend in the valve guides.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am heading in this week to get some estimates, I will have to find a sweet spot between money I put in and performance I get out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Oh my god. Christian and me are agreeing again.

Definitely port match and the 5 angle valve job. I would extrude hone the intake manifold runner section (it's really rough, everything else is die cast and pretty smooth). The head ports are so short it's only when your going for broke that you'd work them. Just blend in the valve guides.
In my experience with this (had my head port/polished, 3 angle valve job, port matched my T/B and intake manifold and pocket ported my headers) I found that this all helped but.......it didnt really come alive until I put some aggresive cams in it to take full advantage of the higher air flow I was getting....the cams were night and day on my car......but I was still pulling on 98 and older GT Mustangs in 5th gear on the freeway even without the cams....those were just icing on the cake :D

this was all on a 91 LS integra though...so Im sure a Legend would respond much better to this treatment

·
Registered
386 Posts
CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spoke to a guy at www.extrudehone.com I think his name is Richard. He quoted me a price of $1950 to extrud hone the throttle body, intake plenum, exhaust manifold, and the heads. I figure after all the honing and some reground cams from Paeco along with a 3 angle valve job and some better connecting rods and pistons for the bottom end ( also would like to get the bottom end bored and stroked .030 over ). Once the V6 in a G1 legend is PROPERLY MASSAGED we should see well over 250 horses at the flywheel. Also the guy at extrude hone told me that with all the forementioned things to be extrude honed I should get another 40 horses with honing alone. Tell me what you guys think. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:)

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Re: CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Bigs said:
I spoke to a guy at www.extrudehone.com I think his name is Richard. He quoted me a price of $1950 to extrud hone the throttle body, intake plenum, exhaust manifold, and the heads. I figure after all the honing and some reground cams from Paeco along with a 3 angle valve job and some better connecting rods and pistons for the bottom end ( also would like to get the bottom end bored and stroked .030 over ). Once the V6 in a G1 legend is PROPERLY MASSAGED we should see well over 250 horses at the flywheel. Also the guy at extrude hone told me that with all the forementioned things to be extrude honed I should get another 40 horses with honing alone. Tell me what you guys think. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:)
why bother redoing the bottom end if you're not doing FI?

·
Registered
386 Posts
ENGINE REBUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was always taught that if your gonna seriously build an engine that the top and bottom should be looked at NOT JUST THE TOP HALF OF THE ENGINE. I plan on building my engine for longevity and not just to run down a track. To show that a G1 legend with the RIGHT modifications to the ENTIRE CAR will turn the car into a serious performance machine. I'm in the same boat as Leon, bukowski and some others who are trying to cover every aspect of performance on their car and not just the quarter mile. Anybody can build a car to go straight but, to build one to go straight as well as handle in the corners as well as braking and to perform well on a road course is what I'm trying to do.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: ENGINE REBUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Bigs said:
I was always taught that if your gonna seriously build an engine that the top and bottom should be looked at NOT JUST THE TOP HALF OF THE ENGINE. I plan on building my engine for longevity and not just to run down a track. To show that a G1 legend with the RIGHT modifications to the ENTIRE CAR will turn the car into a serious performance machine. I'm in the same boat as Leon, bukowski and some others who are trying to cover every aspect of performance on their car and not just the quarter mile. Anybody can build a car to go straight but, to build one to go straight as well as handle in the corners as well as braking and to perform well on a road course is what I'm trying to do.:)
Thats a lot of tuning youre talking about Mr. Bigs, with all the work and custom fab you're talking about you'd better make a trip to Fort Knox and make a withdrawl lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Re: ENGINE REBUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

past_acura_owner said:

Thats a lot of tuning youre talking about Mr. Bigs, with all the work and custom fab you're talking about you'd better make a trip to Fort Knox and make a withdrawl lol
Hey past-acura-owner, Thats what I plan on doing in order to make this a reality. I pray I can win the BIG GAME JACKPOT then I could really do this in record time.:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ENGINE REBUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Bigs said:
Hey past-acura-owner, Thats what I plan on doing in order to make this a reality. I pray I can win the BIG GAME JACKPOT then I could really do this in record time.:D
I hear ya, seems like cars are like wives, you need to be prepared to just fork over the paycheck lol :D

I remember someone saying that the only limit to how fast you can go depends on how much money you're willing to spend.....so true, so true

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Got news for you guys. Have you ever seen the way a G2 bottom end is put together? Cross bolted 6 bolt main caps, windage tray, cast oil pan. That bottom end is designed from the start to live at high RPM. Until you go with radical cams and a new engine management system to start busting 8000 you probably don't need to rework the bottom end.

But when I win the $220M Big Game jackpot who knows what kind of insanity I'll get into. ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I came across this on ebay:

This auction is for a Stage 2 cylinder head service from KMS Engine Development. This service is good for any honda or acura 4cyl vehicle and includes reshaping of the intake and exhaust ports, polishing of the intake and exhaust ports, bead blasting to remove imperfections, resurfacing of the valves, 5 angle intake and 3 angle exhaust cuts, fly cut head (raised compression available), and new valve seals. Your head will be better than new when it is returned to you. If you do not wish to send us a head, we can possibly source one for you. If you wish for us to source you a head, please call us at 770.652.3538 so that we may determine to added cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1819868943&r=0&t=0

Here's info from there web site:

KMS Engine Development specializes in Honda and Acura performance applications. With over fifteen years of experience tuning Honda and Acura products, we are more than qualified to fulfill all your engine building needs. We service all honda vehicles including: Accord Civic CL CRV CRX Integra Legend NSX Prelude RL RSX TL and Vigor. In addition to engine development, we carry a full line of bolt on accessories for Honda and Acura vehicles. Bolt ons come from companies such as AEM,Comptech, Hayame, Headman, Rytek, Nokya, Polar G, Raybrig, Razo, and Carmate. For more information, please visit our website at www.Honda-Performance.com

The price seems reasonable...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dv8 said:

Sounds like you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Nothings going to give you more power than PORTING & PORT MATCHING for the $$.
Don't Even think about Force inducing your Legend if you have the Head milled down without some serious tuning equiptment. When you raise the commpression you raise you chance for detonation.

a 5 angle valve job would be better.

YOu can think about Valves, valve springs, cams and retainers when you have an engine pumping out some serious HP and have plenty of $$

~Hybrid
Im not considering any forced induction, how much can be safely milled w/o causing any clearence issues or timing issues? I was only wanting to have them milled true, but a slight bump in compression would be nice. Also, anybody know about the strength of the HG? Will I run into more problems with it down the road? Paeco makes copper HG but they are $330 a side! Thanks again fellas! Im going to start dissassembly this weekend and next week while I have the folk's car available.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LegendC said:

Im not considering any forced induction, how much can be safely milled w/o causing any clearence issues or timing issues? I was only wanting to have them milled true, but a slight bump in compression would be nice. Also, anybody know about the strength of the HG? Will I run into more problems with it down the road? Paeco makes copper HG but they are $330 a side! Thanks again fellas! Im going to start dissassembly this weekend and next week while I have the folk's car available.
from what I've seen and heard milling is a very bad idea....the motor is aluminum and if it ever gets warped you could run into serious issues.....I cant remember the name of it but there is a way to boost compression where they resurface the head and deck the block to the point where you dont even need a gasket, the heads and block will form a seal without the gasket

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
past_acura_owner said:

from what I've seen and heard milling is a very bad idea....the motor is aluminum and if it ever gets warped you could run into serious issues.....I cant remember the name of it but there is a way to boost compression where they resurface the head and deck the block to the point where you dont even need a gasket, the heads and block will form a seal without the gasket
I belive a mild milling will true up a warped head, I guess what I was asking is can I safely take off more or is it not worth the trouble. I am currently Stage II chipped, Remused, and WR Intake and CAB'ed. NOT planning on running any kind of forced induction or NO2....All Motor Baby!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts