Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was it autodynamic.com that sells the 9006 -> 9005 harness??

If I get it and put in the 9005 bulb, an aftermarket one, would it melt it like it did for my 9006 harness??

I hear PIAA is coated inside and out while other aftermarket bulbs are coated only on the outside.

Should I go with PIAA??

Thanks~~~

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
The only reason you would need a harness would be if you are planning on running bulbs above around 70 W.

You can safely place a 65 W 9005 bulb in place of the 55W 9006. The only thing you would need to do is to remove the tabs that are specific to the 9005.

If you plan on getting those 80W bulbs, then yes you will need the harness from autodynamic.

The main thing to pay attention to is the wattage of the bulb. Some packages will show two wattages. For example on my PIAA SuperPlasma package, it shows 55W -> 110W. I believe that it's supposed to represent how their 55W bulb emits light equivalent to that of a 110W bulb. The true wattage is 55W though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LegendGS

Thanks for the reply.
How was the SoCal Meet??

Although the bulb wattage is 55W and it emits 110W, it shouldn't melt the harness??
Why I ask is because the bulb that melted the harness was 55w=85w and it melted the harness.
I'm concerned if I purchase the harness adapter and put in the hi-beam bulb's, ie. PIAA, would it melt the harness??
It's pricey, I think like $35.

Thanks~~

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Re: LegendGS

SHR XTC said:
Thanks for the reply.
How was the SoCal Meet??

Although the bulb wattage is 55W and it emits 110W, it shouldn't melt the harness??
Why I ask is because the bulb that melted the harness was 55w=85w and it melted the harness.
I'm concerned if I purchase the harness adapter and put in the hi-beam bulb's, ie. PIAA, would it melt the harness??

Thanks~~
how long do you use your lights?

reason I ask, I hear everryone complaining, but for almost 2 years I've been doing the80/100W in my lo/hi...NO probs

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leon

Leon,

Hi. Wassup??
I didn't use the bulbs that long. I say about 4 months.
I've only used PIAA in my other cars for many years and never had a problem.
The bulbs in the Legend was not from PIAA and this is what happened.
I heard that the new blubs from PIAA, I think they are called Hyper White or Super White are not guaranteed.
They are nice though.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Re: LegendGS

SHR XTC said:
Thanks for the reply.
How was the SoCal Meet??

Thanks~~
The meet turned out pretty well actually. Nice kick-back day at the park. :) You've seen the pics, right?

No, a 55W bulb should not melt the harness. The high beam bulb is 65 W, and even using that in your low beam should be OK. It's been done by many here.

The adapter is not a highbeam-lowbeam adapter, but rather a heavier guage setup that can handle the extra juice needed to drive the higher wattage bulbs. I believe that it is relay driven and is connected directly to the battery, and uses the headlight switch only as a trigger for the relay. I've never actually used one, but I believe that they way it works is that you plug your headlight power socket into the relay and the relay connects to the battery and the bulb. When you turn the switch for your headlights on, it triggers the relay to start drawing power from the battery.

I'm not sure why your supposed 55W bulbs melted your harness though.

·
Registered
449 Posts
get the upgraded harness you'll sleep better at night..... I melted 2 sets of harnesses already and it cost more to replace than the autodynamic ones. your 35 dollars will be well spent... I'm running 80 watts lows and 100 watts high naxos bulbs with no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts