Acura Legend Forum banner

Headlight ?'s

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  LEGENDarith 
#1 ·
I burned my headlight harness on my low beam.
I plan on putting the hi beam harness (9005), will that affect anything??
If I switch it, will it melt also??

Thanks~~

#2 ·
SHR XTC said:
I burned my headlight harness on my low beam.
I plan on putting the hi beam harness (9005), will that affect anything??
If I switch it, will it melt also??

Thanks~~
No, you should be fine. THe hi-beam harness is made to handle more power than the low beam (I know, duuuuh), but if you get the right kind of bulbs ...PIAA or Naxos, you should be fine

#6 ·
legendarith said:
ahhhhhhhh that's risky. try to find the right harness from a local junkyard from another headlight. goodluck it happened to me too. make sure the bulb is in tight and secured!
Why Darith?
I haven't had any problems at all. I have the same setup as Danny, along with 100 Watt Naxos in the Fogs. Ran this setup for about a year and a half now...
Not ignorant, just would like feedback.

#8 ·
Such a hard time

I'm having such a hard time finding a new harness.
What is it called??
I've asking the junkyards for the low beam or headlight harness or socket??

Am I asking correctly??

#9 ·
I don't think the junkyard will sell a part of the headlight. You might have to buy the whole thing or... =X sneak into the junkyard and cut it off and stick it into your pocket. but stealing is bad, very bad.:eek: You ask for the part that holds the bulb. Try to find a headlight (broken or non working from a wreck) and buy it for cheap. I got mine for 10 bucks! =) where do you stay at? here in houston, we have a billion junkyards!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
SHR STC,
This is in response to your question on the legend.org forums too. First of all, you'll have to replace your melted stock harness. As others have mentioned, you can try to locate one at a junkyard. I've also heard that these can be purchased at auto parts stores (i.e. Autozone, Kragen). Then you'll need to buy the upgrade harness from autodynamic.com to prevent melting your harnesses again. These kits will cover both your 9005 and 9006 bulbs. There are 4 harnesses altogether that will plug into your stock sockets. If I remember correctly, the low beam harness can take up to ~90-100 watts, so there's really no need to put the hi beam harness in the low beam projector. If you want to put a 9005 bulb in there, I would just modify the bulb itself by cutting the tabs.

As far as some harnesses melting and others not...trust me, it's only a matter of time. Anytime you put in a bulb higher than ~65 watts, you're drawing too much current through your stock harnesses. They're not equipped to handle this and you run the risk of melting them. I think it also depends on how long you have the lights on as well. If you take a lot of short drives where your lights aren't on for a long time, there may not be enough heat generated to melt the harnesses and you'll be able to drive like this for years and years. But if you're taking extended drives where your lights are on continuously for a long time (~2 hours or so), chances are pretty high that they'll melt. Better to be safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the info.

Darren,
I went to some junk shops and they don't sell them indivdually and I had such a b*tchin time explaining it to them.
hahaha :)

Train,
That's what I'm planning to do, to buy the harness from autodynamic once I get the stock harness.
Is the plastic better quality to put in a 9005 bulb, if i cut that little tab in the 9006??

#12 ·
Re: Thanks for the Info

SHR XTC said:
Is the plastic better quality to put in a 9005 bulb, if i cut that little tab in the 9006??

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. The only reason why you'd want to put a 9005 bulb for your low beams would be for increased light output over what you can get with a 9006. This is what I ended up doing. The low beam harness is equipped to handle ~100 watts, and the hi beam one a little more. Whether you put in a 9005 or 6 shouldn't make a difference as long as you don't exceed the max wattage of the kit. In the socket of the 9005 bulb, there are 2 tabs. Just use some box cutters or a blade to grind these down. Same thing for the 9006 bulbs except that there is only 1 tab.

#14 ·
I think I'm explaining this stuff wrong

Train,

This is the problem I had with the junk yards... hahaha :D
The harness melted, what I mean by the harness is the plastic that holds the bulb in then you have to tie it down with that metal clip.
Is it a socket or harness??
Do you have any idea to what I'm talking about??
This is like the up-teeneth I'm trying to explain it.
hahaha :D

Since I was that tutorial, I think Koji's site, about taking out that tab, I was planning to do that but wouldn't the harness/socket still be a low beam harness/scoket and still have the risk of melting with a higher wattage bulb??

An aftermarket low beam bulb is what melted the harness/socket.

Thanks~~

#15 ·
The aftermarket kit will fix your problems. Check auto parts stores to see if you can pick up a replacement socket for the one that melted. I can't verify that they carry these, but have only heard from other members whom this has happened to.

The whole thing with the upgrade kit is that one end of the wires connects to the factory harness and then runs to a set of diode packs. From there, a thicker set of wires runs to some in line fuses and ultimately ends in the sockets which will plug right into the bulbs. The diode packs will keep your factory harnesses from pulling too much current. On top of that the fuses will blow if you're drawing too much current which will keep your upgrade harnesses from melting.

So to answer your question, you're running the bulbs off the upgraded low beam harness which is designed to handle the higher wattage bulbs. Any more questions, just let me know.

#16 ·
Thanks Train~~

Train,

Yep, that's the deal!!!
Thanks for your help!!!
I checked out Pep Boys and AutoZone and they do sell the harness for 9006 Lo-Beam but it doesn't have the hook or loop to clip on the metal "band" to keep the light in place.

I'm ordering it Acura of Augusta..like usual :p

Once again, Thanks!!!

#17 ·
SHR XTC,

I just noticed you live in SoCal. I don't know if you're aware, buy autodynamic.com's retail shop is located in SoCal as well, so you can pick up the kit in person to check it out if you so desire. It used to be located off the Garvey exit on the 10 freeway, but I think they recently relocated to El Monte. Check the website. The shop is called AJ Motorsport.

G
#18 ·
It's just risky period dealing with those High Wattage bulbs. I have one word for you guys 'NO'. Don't use those POS's that screw up your harness. If you want that look then save up some money and do an HID conversion. Much safer and in the long run may be cheaper. You can find them for like $300 now if you look around on ebay. I bought mine from a friend for like $250.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.