Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more Legend question...

My headlights seem rather dim compared to other people's cars (except my one buddy who's stuck with a 1982 Plymouth Gran Fury). I read an article in Consumer Reports about higher intensity bulbs, but they seemed to vary by size and brand. They don't cover older cars anymore (the 1988 Legend was last mentioned in 1996 to my knowledge) so I was wondering if anyone here has had luck with replacement bulbs.

I need something that's brighter than the standard bulbs (the new Acuras seem much brighter). I have the sedan and also have no idea how to install them.

At home I always use GE bulbs...are they any good?

· Registered
2,973 Posts
MACuraLegend88 said:
One more Legend question...

My headlights seem rather dim compared to other people's cars (except my one buddy who's stuck with a 1982 Plymouth Gran Fury). I read an article in Consumer Reports about higher intensity bulbs, but they seemed to vary by size and brand. They don't cover older cars anymore (the 1988 Legend was last mentioned in 1996 to my knowledge) so I was wondering if anyone here has had luck with replacement bulbs.

I need something that's brighter than the standard bulbs (the new Acuras seem much brighter). I have the sedan and also have no idea how to install them.

At home I always use GE bulbs...are they any good?
I think the 9004's are the one's you need. The Silverstars should work fine in your car! As far as installation; you have to reach in behind the headlight and turn the grommet that holds the light in from the passenger side to the driver's side......counterclock wise if looking at the assembly from inside the engine bay ! Pull the whole assembly out and you then have to remove the light from the wiring harness. You need strong fingers to do that !

· Registered
638 Posts
the legends beam pattern just sucks, ive seen other cars out there running 9004's that arent great but much better than ours. I got silverstars and didnt notice much of a difference at all, just whiter light so its seems to be more of a placebo effect, Every one i've talked to who has tried silverstars and the phillips brand allways say the phillips is better.. I swapped to regular 9007 silvaynias and there wasnt that great of a difference but alot better than any 9004's i've tried. the 9007's have upgraded my night time rain vision from none to poor so its definetley worth it. Now that i know its not a lost cause i think im gona invest in some phillips 9007's

I took regular bulbs once and put paint thinner on them and rubbed the paint off the tips with a cloth and they seems to be a little brighter but i dunno for sure since i did both at once and had nothing to compare them with. I didnt notice any projection problems or anything.

Grounding your headlights directly will make them noticably brighter. go ahead and run a ground from the plug and touch a ground while the lights are on, you'll see them get brighter. It messes with the relay though so your high beam light on the dash is allways on, even though only the low beam element is lit.

I've actually pointed my headlights a little farther down than normal to make its intensity brighter on the ground right in front because where i live its not distance im worried about.. Its very dark at night and when it rains and another car comes at me i literally couldnt see the road what so ever, but now i can kinda make it out.

You could allways mount some motorcycle headlights up like fogs..

Ive heard of this being done but i have never seen how it looks or even heard of the results but i've head of people putting metal reflector cone from a flash light over the secondary high beam bulbs to change the projection and connecting them to run along with the lows. kinda making them like very bright flash lights with a strait ahead projection, kinda like fogs.. I wouldnt even consider trying it though unless i actually saw them in action. You really dont want to do this if your running a amp or anything or you'll kill your amp and alternator. Heres a picture i found with no info to go with it..

· Registered
2,038 Posts
thats the look i've been looking for...question you say that we should up grade the wiring...have you done that??
and if you've have'nt what could happen a blown fuse???

· Registered
638 Posts
it will melt the wiring.. if a conductor doesnt have the capacity to carry all of the charge then the rest is disapaited as heat, thats why people fry when struck by lightning and lighting rods dont :) . I didnt upgrade my wiring and its been fine so far.. if your gona upgrade the wiring dont just use one of those harness kits you find in the store, larger gauge wire will work just as fine, plus all the ones ive seen in the store only replace a few inches, you need to replace all the wiring untill wherever it stops, like the fuse box or relay or somthing.. doesnt make any sense just to change a few inches of wiring if its still comming from the original ones. if you just replace the few inches and the power does burn the wiring then its going to be somwhere furtherdown and a PITA to find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.