Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a Heater Core DIY anywhere here?
I just dumped $1600 into my Legend for a new head gasket, water pump and timing belt. Now I'm smelling antifreeze and my windows are fogging up.
Can't afford to dump another grand into it right now..

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
Acura Legend Online Service Manual (Pages: 0001-2690, current: 0899)

That and the next few pages will help you through heater/evaporator removal/overhaul/replacement. The few pagesbefore that one will also guide you through disconecting/removing blower assembly and there is also a diy for the blower assembly on here if you search (you might as well clean/service and upgrade the filter it while you have this all apart). Also be aware that his may require removal of your dash (it's not difficult, but is time consuming the first time) just take your time and do it right! GL!

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
No problems, take some pics wie you're doing it and you could create the DIY!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
The heater core is a pita. I have removed and reinstalled my dash a few times so I can do it in like 4 or 5 hrs, but then to drain the cooling system, evacuate the AC, and then remove the housing box.
I was thinking of removing my housing becuase I noticed it wasn't sealed totally right(prob previous owner) and think this could be what causes my front windshield to fog up(because some air is coming up the defrost without my selecting it). I'm still debating when to do this.

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
The heater core is a pita. I have removed and reinstalled my dash a few times so I can do it in like 4 or 5 hrs, but then to drain the cooling system, evacuate the AC, and then remove the housing box.
I was thinking of removing my housing becuase I noticed it wasn't sealed totally right(prob previous owner) and think this could be what causes my front windshield to fog up(because some air is coming up the defrost without my selecting it). I'm still debating when to do this.
Mine was doing this too and it ended up being one of the two plastic 'flaps' towards the top of the blower assembly, the one which control airflow direction (up/down). The foam insulation on them basically wore away to dust (and was depositing along with fog on my windshield). Scrubbed them with a fine wire brush, sanded and put on new automotive insulation foam from home depot and then trimmed to shape. Works great now!

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is a PITA. I had to replace mines about 4 months ago. i removed everything thats the only way your going to get to the heater core.i would pay for this job just because its all manual labor. all you need is a couple of screw drivers, rachet. throughout this process you will be removing alot of screws make sure you knwo where they go at the end. good luck let me know how it turns out. i did mines in about 5hrs

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
^ Never done a G2 but I have done a G1 and a few other cars....definitely labor intensive but nothing that even a novice DIYer couldnt handle....just be sure to keep track of the screws and plugs and where they came from and where they go...

If you can get an equally knowledgeable friend to help you out, that might cut down on some of the time...and at least you'll have another human being to interact with and talk to instead of being alone with your thoughts and curse words towards the dash for about 4-6 hours :lol:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mine was doing this too and it ended up being one of the two plastic 'flaps' towards the top of the blower assembly, the one which control airflow direction (up/down). The foam insulation on them basically wore away to dust (and was depositing along with fog on my windshield). Scrubbed them with a fine wire brush, sanded and put on new automotive insulation foam from home depot and then trimmed to shape. Works great now!
I did something similar but I used contact cement and those thinner foam AC filters when I noticed the same thing on my blower assm. flaps. The flaps in my car seemed to be okay but the housing wasn't quite flush. Guess I should just remove all this from my 95' and clean and rebuild the housing and flaps. I would still use my current evap and heater core since thay have not given my ant troubles(don't know the conditions of the others). I'll just clean the fins from my old evap. and heater core when I get them out. Yet something else to look forward too once I start my engine build up. Boy I'm gonna go Legend crazy. Sorry about the thread-jak.

·
Registered
707 Posts
put on new automotive insulation foam from home depot and then trimmed to shape. Works great now!
Do you remember the brand or have more info on what you used because the first time I did my blower assm. I used the wheather stripping stuff, the 1/2" type and it did not stick very well(lasted only days), plus I wasn't too happy about it being strips instead off one piece, that's why I went with the contact cement and filter.
This is all that I found in Homedepot: Thermwell 12 In. X 15 Ft. X 1/8 In. Self-Adhesive Foil/Foam Duct Insulation - FV516 at The Home Depot

Minnesota you might want tod do this as well while you have the housing removed. Might save you later on.

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
Do you remember the brand or have more info on what you used because the first time I did my blower assm. I used the wheather stripping stuff, the 1/2" type and it did not stick very well(lasted only days), plus I wasn't too happy about it being strips instead off one piece, that's why I went with the contact cement and filter.
This is all that I found in Homedepot: Thermwell 12 In. X 15 Ft. X 1/8 In. Self-Adhesive Foil/Foam Duct Insulation - FV516 at The Home Depot

Minnesota you might want tod do this as well while you have the housing removed. Might save you later on.
I'll get back to you on this, forgot what it was now, but have some lying around in the basement somewhere I think? I'll try and dig around to find it.

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
manxdr21 I found what the foam was, it wasn't automotove foam, but boating foam. Well actually kayaking foam (12" x 12" pads) 1/8" thick neoprene foam with water and temp variance (can go from cold to hot and back without losing adhesion) and self adhesive backing. I also made sure to wire brush and sand the louvers before sticking the foam on. It was a clearance item at Dick's not Home Depot (although I went to HD to get the rest of my supplies the same day) and hence my confusion!:headscrat: Hope this helps! I stuck them all around the louvers and then used fine surgical scissors to trim away excess. I did use the foam weather strips to insulate around the two openings up on top of the blower assembly and used super glue to help the weak adhesion already on the strips.

Similar to this stuff:
Neoprene Foam

·
Registered
707 Posts
manxdr21 I found what the foam was, it wasn't automotove foam, but boating foam. Well actually kayaking foam (12" x 12" pads) 1/8" thick neoprene foam with water and temp variance (can go from cold to hot and back without losing adhesion) and self adhesive backing. I also made sure to wire brush and sand the louvers before sticking the foam on. It was a clearance item at Dick's not Home Depot (although I went to HD to get the rest of my supplies the same day) and hence my confusion!:headscrat: Hope this helps! I stuck them all around the louvers and then used fine surgical scissors to trim away excess. I did use the foam weather strips to insulate around the two openings up on top of the blower assembly and used super glue to help the weak adhesion already on the strips.

Similar to this stuff:
Neoprene Foam
Yeah, I had removed the foam on the top where it meets with the dash because it was flaking off and it was a bit on a pain to keep it stuck.
I already decided to takle this as well now that I'll be emptying the coolant anyways, gonna change my dash to a better one that I have too. Ordered the evap to AC line o-rings from Honda.
Thanks for the info

Edit: Was going to use your suggestion but don't feel like the whole shipping wait and process. Although I believe that the neopren(rubber) is going to be better than what I posted on the link which is vinyl foam with alluminum sheilding. I will use the stuff from the link I posted, found it at Lowes for like $3 cheaper and it's close by, plus I was reading that some had used it for some minor sound dampening. This is made for HVAC so it should hold up pretty good for a few years, guess I'll find out, hopefully it works that way it gives poeple here more options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.