Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I moved the location of my alarm harm. But in doing so I need to cut and splace a longer set of wires so that it would be long enough for me to move it. I have had the alarm horn disconnected for several weeks.

Today I plugged it back in and noticed that it doesnt chime anymore. I used a volt meter and got a positive reading indicating that there shouldnt be any problems. But even still i plugged the horn back and it still doesnt ring. I have a Viper alarm and is possible that b/c I have had it disconnceted that it might have told the brain that there was no horn hooked up?

Any help, suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks
jon

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
A simple test to see of the siren is still working (as they do die) is to hook it up directly to the battery and see if it sounds. If it does, than you simple have a connection problem. If it doesn't, then you need a new siren. Are you 100% sure you connected the + to + and - to -?

·
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Yes I hooked it up directly to the battery and it went off. And yes I had the wiring done correctly.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
how far did you extend the wire? did you use the same guage? if you extended the wire, you should use a relay so it gets triggered by the alarm lead but get the power from the battery. if all else fails, put hellas on em.
-j

·
Registered
58 Posts
Extending the wire is of no issue, nor is a realy necessary as I did it with a dei 5500 series alarm, the thing you have to do make sure you use the same gauge wire and have good solid connections. If that is done and it is still not working chances are there is a malfunction in the brain as DEI (viper, sidewinder, cobra series alarms) is known to have brains that do not age well.

·
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I found out i used slight lower gauge wire (thicker) what is the worse that could happen from using that?

jon

·
Registered
58 Posts
As far as I know using a thicker gaude wire shouldn't so anything, which leads me to believe that the brain may have detected that there wasn't a horn to recieve power and moved to a silent mode of some form. my guess is the best thing you can do now is take it to the place that installed it, or to someone extremely familiar with DEI products and see what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts