Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Hmmm... That'd be pretty dope if you can. I guess what you'd need to find out is if the plug in the back of the radio is the same, and if it is externally amped or not. I would think that those would be the deciding factors. Otherwise, you'd have to get one of those aftermarket harnesses, and bypass the amp. I'd like to hear what you find out. An in dash 6 CD changer is mouth-watering.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
you could do it with much more modifications than most people like. you would have to modify the dash to fit the radio in, and then rewire the harness to plug in. also, if you planned on doing that, don't pay $220 for it...do this one if you were to do it use this it has woodgrain that looks decent...

thisis a direct plug and play, no modifications needed as far as wiring. NOW, if it works with your bose system is beyond me as I don't know anything about the G2 bose compared to the TL bose. also, that is just an example of a radio that fits, I WOULD NEVER PAY THAT MUCH FOR IT. Look around, you can find one that will fit.

any honda radio from 1986-1999 (some 2000's) will fit direct plug and play, although if it works with the bose is again beyond me, hopefully a bose centric person will help clarify that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my dad just bought me this acura as a graduation/ 18 b-day gift (i guess ill post pics up later XD). Right after my dad paid the guy the tape got stuck in there because it was slightly messed up and i didnt notice. So my dad and I took the whole car stereo apart. The manufacturer did a really good job of making the part hard to tamper with because the chips were soldered together. It just so happens I have a solderer at home, so my dad and I took it a part and took the tape out and put it all back together.

As soon as i Turned it on, It asked for a code.. So i entered the code, And that was the end of the lcd screen working. I never got the lcd screen to work after that.

I put in a few different audio cassettes and i hear like a popping sound in the speakers but no music... (i also noticed when its night time and i try turning it on... There are about 5 red lines running across the screen.)

When my dad and i put it back together we kinda noticed there was a bent in one of the wirings. So i guess im gonna take a look at that before buying a whole new stereo.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
a 99-03 tl headunit will NOT drop right in, it will require a lot of modification and it won't even fit properly. It doesn't even play burned CDs if it is from a 99- 01, so its not worth it. You can get a Legend headunit on ebay for half the price of the tl one. Or you should just get an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doesnt that mean i have to do a lot of work? like take out a big portion of a dashboard or soemthing? or i just hook it up with the wires i got now?

And can u tell me exactly wat im hunting for?
Like does the year matter?

My main thing is either fixing what i have now

Or getting something i can hook my ipod with WIRED (i hate wireless)
Something that inexpensive but durable. 200-300$ in range probably
Fits my legend looks normal.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
The legend, like all hondas from about 1997 and down, uses a rectangular 16 prong harness for the back of the head unit. the TL, like all hondas from 1998 and up, uses a 20 prong squarish harnes at the back of its head unit. you an convert the tl headunit to work with the legend but it is pointless and you have to modify the legend's dash to make the tl headunit fit because it is a different shape. If you still want to go through with the tl head unit conversion pm me and i will show you how to do it with pics. But i personally think buying a good aftermarket headunit is much easier and will sound better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
for around the same price you can get an alpine HU ( thats what i have) or some other HU. all you need to do is convert double din to single din (20$ kit) and buy the HU which is very easyt o install or have it done by the place for free where you buy it. For like 20$ more you can also get a wire to hook up your ipod directly to your aftermarket HU. I would definitely look into aftermarket HU if I was you. I have a working stock 94 legend L Head unit laying around if you want to purchase it i would let it go for a decent price ( i also have the code for it in case you have to disconnect your battery). pm me if your interested.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
where would i go to get the aftermarket head unit? And what would i be searching for exactly? 94 acura legend ls car stereo?
a lot of people like the aftermarket system, but some people, like me, like the stock look. the BIGGEST benefit to having a stock radio in there is people won't break into your car to steal your stereo. They don't care what brand the aftermarket HU is, I had someone break into my car for the durabrand unit I had in there...

1996-1998 TL radios plop right in, no modification to the harness, and they have a 6 disc option. the biggest problem with the TL radio was the fact that the 1996-1997 single cd player had bad laser problems, much like the G2 legend's BHG problem, it wasn't all of them, but it is a widely known problem. The TL radio, the 6 disc indash, also has a DIN connector on the back that can be modified [just buy a DIN plug from radio shack and there is instructions about wiring it up to accept the iPod somewhere on the site, if interested I'll dig it up for you] then you don't have to worry about the wireless crap to listen to your iPod in the car AND you have a stock looking radio.

There are plenty of people on the site that think the BOSE was very well designed in the Legend and sound great. Others, mostly audiophiles, say that the BOSE will never sound as good as an aftermarket system.

I say stick with stock, but thats just me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO NO NO. Just go to like circut city and say you want a new head unit for your car. Pick the one that you like the best and they will install it.
do you know where is the best place to find a stock thats inexpensive?
I never buy on ebay cuz my parents are anti-ebay and paypal lol.
but any other site that is legitimate is good to me. And are there any good aftermarket head units that are inexpensive and good?

And do i have to get a double DIN? Cuz i dont want a gap in the car lol

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
do you know where is the best place to find a stock thats inexpensive?
I never buy on ebay cuz my parents are anti-ebay and paypal lol.
but any other site that is legitimate is good to me. And are there any good aftermarket head units that are inexpensive and good?

And do i have to get a double DIN? Cuz i dont want a gap in the car lol
1) you can look on craigslist.org, like you did before, just watch for the price. and although you may not BUY from ebay, check ebay for price comparison and even show it to the seller on C-L if thats the way you plan on going. If you find an extremely cheap one on eBay, maybe convince your parents that you want that, OR set up your own account on eBay and buy it w/o parental knowledge.

2) peruse through the parts area of this forum, I'm sure someone is either parting out their vehicle, or maybe selling off the HU. also, check out other honda sites (like honda-acura.net) people on there sell of their stock head units as well, and like I said, any honda from 1986-about 1998 will fit. most people on forums like this like paypal for payment, though some will wait for a personal check or money order in the mail, but will wait until received and/or cleared before shipping.

again, my opinion is, aftermarket is just asking for someone to break in, even if its not that expensive of a brand (mine was wal-mart), stock units don't get stolen as often.

as far as getting an aftermarket, they sell kits, wal-mart has them, so does other stores (best brand imo is scosche (sp?)). It will make it so that a single din HU can replace a DD and it adds either a pocket or a flat plate, your choice.

·
Registered
650 Posts
if you're willing to spend 200-300 i dont see why you would want to buy a 10year old stock radio (or older) to put in your car. get an aftermarket radio (think circuit city). if you can use a soldering iron, you can install an aftermarket radio. what will you gain from an aftermarket radio? features, interface, and better sound. most all aftermarket radios offer a line input for such devices as an ipod. they look appealing and have good sound quality too. hell, for $300 you can get a basic radio/CD/ipod input head unit and get it installed if you wanted.

the one downside is theft. most aftermarket stereos have a detachable faceplate, which i would recommend taking off every single time (ask me how i know). good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can u guys tell me some good after market head units that are durable and compatible with my legend. I'm looking for ones that i can connect my ipod too.
But the price should be in the $200-300 range . Wonder if circuit city/ best buys does free installation.
For example:
Kenwood Model number Price..
pioneer model number price..

Tell me what after markets u guys own and if u guys enjoy it

Thanks to all of you who are helping XD

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Pioneer makes a great product. Their ipod hookup for their head units is very simple, easy to use and works +sounds great. You could also try eclipse, they also have a good ipod hookup for their headunits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
do u think i can install it? im 17 almost 18 btw. Don't have car education lol.. But i use to take computers apart and reassemble them.

I am capable of taking out the OEM HU of my car but im not sure if there is harness issues, where each wire goes, and how to install a single/Double din
Unless installing it would be identical to installing the OEM.

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
Aftermarket stereo installs are super easy and a great first project for an emerging DIY'er....but first...you have an LS which means you most likely have the Bose 2100 which utilizes a central amplifier located behind the rear seat. To use an aftermarket stereo that operates at 4 ohms impedance, you will either have to bypass the amp and get 4 ohm speakers, or get a Line Level Converter to use the 4 ohms stereo with the Bose Amp and speakers.

I know it sounds complicated but its really not....

Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

This can be had at Wal*Mart for about $20.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do u bypass it cuz i dont want to buy that thing and have it hanging out lol? or does that scorshe thing hide behide the HU?

And i can pick technically any aftermarket HU that i want? are they all universal sizes?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.