Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I recently purchased a 91 Acura Legend! YEH!
Drove fine for the past 2 days, but today it decided to die on me.

The car will start fine for about 10 seconds, then the engine light will come on and the car will end up dying (shuts off). I dont need to hold the key in starting position so its not the ignition, and the engine light doesnt come on until AFTER 10 seconds (ish). I can also drive normally in these 10 seconds, before the light comes on and shuts off my motor.

I was searching on forums, and it points to a main relay and fuel pump possibly. Is there anyway to check if its a main relay or fuel pump without replacing it?

The temperature has never risen past operating temp (1/2 or so), and ive always had heat... So I dont think the HG is toast. However, there is a bit of white smoke when I first start / drive the car.

One thing to take in mind though, I was low on tranny fluid when I checked it today, and filled it up after but the problem still didnt go away! BTW: this is an Automatic.

Any suggestions? I have it at a shop right now, hopefully they can find out the problem... but I just want peace of mind, plz any response will be good!

· Registered
65 Posts
what you described is not devistating... sounds like something minor...

the white smoke may be from no combustion burn off, (all the start and stall) thats normal, unless it's been happening before now

the tranny is not it either

laundry list to try or check...

fuel pump
fuel filter
main relay- i dont know much about this condition but it seems to apply to legends
air filter
vac. line(s) loose
out of gas - dont even smile
timing belt-and its issues (slip)
plugs

more anybody....

BTW: the check engine means the computer has recorded an event, it has that event in memory. a diagnostic maybe to determine the problem...

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried reseting the ECU (disconnect battery) and it pulls the code like right away.
Im probably going to try doing the main relay and possibly the fuel pump.

I dont want to replace everything on the list just yet.. (wallet doesnt let me)... is there anyway to check for main relay and fuel pump failure? (I phoned acura they said it'd be ahrd if I just took out the main relay and had them have a look at it... )

· Registered
65 Posts
1.fuel pump, turn the key on and listen for a whine from the pump under the trunk of the car or behind the rear seat.
AND/OR
2.pull one of the lines (gas) under the hood with turn the key on to see if its sending gas up

also forgot to mention FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR in my LAUNDRY list...

usually relays will have play in them if they are bad... shake and a rattle sound is bad
if no shake, like a rock ,then gen. good...

dont know if this applies to the acura legend MAIN relay, will look up and educate myself on it.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I am having. I know what it is and just don't have the money right now to fix it. But it sounds like your Igniter for the ignition is bad. Mine does the same thing but at random time. I could drive all day and it never happens and some days it does it 4 or 5 times. But it does the same thing, check engine and then dies.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i brought the car to this mechanic near the place it broke down.
I have no choice but to pay him to do the main relay now!! @@; Im pretty knowledgable with mechanics of cars, but I just dont have time to check it out and "trial and error".

He found out the engine is not getting enough or no gas! He think its the main relay but he said it could possibly be the fuel pump as well. These things I can do myself, but having the car towed to my home/garage will probably cost just as much as the labour.... Mind as well save the effort and have the mechanic do it for me.

BTW: Anyone using an Aftermarket fuel pump? (Incase that is the case for failing). The stock one from acura costs 640.38 + Tax (Canadian $)!! Thats CRAZY amounts for a fuel pump, my nice warlbro 255L pump didnt even cost that much for my little mr2 :p

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Okay just a heads up. I had a bad main relay.

it had trouble starting when it was hot or when it was cold. i'd have to do some trickydick type stuff to to make it start, but once it was running it never would shut off.

Im still thinking it's not the main relay, unless yours works backwards from everyone elses or it broke in a different part than normal. From what i remember the main relay only is active to pressurize the pump at start up.

*shrugs*

it's easy to pull the code. just stick a paperclip in the diagnosis port under the passengerside dash close to the kick panel. read the codes...long blinks equal ten, short blinks equal 1

so you get BLIIIIIIIINK BLIIIIIIIINK blink...blink...blink. Code number 23*

just tell us the codes and we'll try to help you.

*i dont have my book in front of me so i dont kow what code 23 is:giggle:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like the car isnt pulling any code at all, either that or the duration is too short (10seconds) to read the code... However Im pretty sure my mechanic told me the car was giving us no codes!! O_O;;

The main relay WAS a problem, but it didnt fix THE problem.
The fuel now efficently gets to the motor but the car still decides to shut itself off after 10 seconds of start up. The mechanic I brought it to doesnt want to replace all the electronic stuff (trial and error) so he decided to send my car to Acura dealership!!!

Im going to get raped for labour, but I just hope they can find the problem for me. :)

I think It might be a bad ground... but that wouldn't cause the engine light to come on would it?? :x

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd update you all on the situation, since no one likes to finish their posts and end them. (most of them anyways, there are some that finish up!)

Acura found out the problem to be the ECU, Im not sure how much they charged for labour because Im going through a friend's shop (get discounts at acura). They told me the ecu was fried, thats why the engine was giving no codes at all!! The engine light just came on and it died probably because it couldn't store any codes. The total bill came out just for diagnose and ECU came to $650 Canadian. IMO, that is a total rip off... I could've changed the ECU and probably couldve came to that conclusion within a day or so of working on the car. But, this is what happens when you become lazy and such! :) I also had the main relay replaced, which cost 100 Canadian, and tow fees of 40 bucks Canadian.

Total Damage due to laziness: $800 Cnd (Roughly)
Damage done w/o labour: Estimated. 200 Cnd + Tow Charges
Summary of Event: Engine light came on after 10 seconds of startng, then couple seconds after that the car died. ECU couldn't store or give any codes. Remember the car starts w/o a problem, and I can drive within those 10 seconds!

If anyone needs more insight on this matter, feel free to message me! :)

· Registered
4,119 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problem. I don't remember anyone else reporting an ECU "buying the farm". The initial mechanic should have known that no code = a probable bad ECU; certainly a problem in the ECU circuit. Never forget who this person is and avoid at all costs in the future. You should know that part of the diagnosis requires a specific test harness which I believe is only found at an Acura dealer, so in this instance a dealer repair was required.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.