Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the caps but this is really starting to get on my nerves....I'll start at the beginning. My battery of about 4 years went dead so i figured i needed a new one. Went to candian tire and bought the same model. 3 days later it's dead again. anyway i got a boost and drove right back to that damn canadian tire and figured they sold me a bad battery. They did their little tests on it and it was fine. It charged and retained it's charged. They said it might be an electrical problem. SO.....I take it a place that's renown for it's electrical work on cars. They check all my fuses with the tool that reads amps drawn from the battery when the car is not on and it still draws power. They say it must be my alarms. (I have a black widow 1800 and a back up alarm which is a 9V battery attached to a siren). I take it to my sound guy and he cuts the wires to the back up alarm. He does the same tests as the electrician and there is no amps drawn.

Alls good right? F'in WRONG!!! next morning dead. So i figure ok maybe it's the black widow alarm. So i unplug the fuse and hope for the best. Next morning....DEAD!

SO....before taking it to the stealership (my last damn resort) i wanted to check out what you guys think it could be?

Is there any way that my black widow alarm could still be drawing power with the fuses out?

Is there any way my back up alarm could be drawing power with the wires cut?

if not WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE??? i've already wasted a perfectly good battery and bought a second one for a hundred bucks. I'm at the end of my rope. ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
ANDY

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
With wires cut or fuses removed, circuits should be dead.

The electrical shop should have performed a battery drain test. This will isolate which circuit is continuing to draw when it is supposed to be off.

You could also have a bad alt diode. Remove the alt and have it checked by someone who rebuilds alts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LPB said:
You could also have a bad alt diode. Remove the alt and have it checked by someone who rebuilds alts.
They said the alternator is fine....

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
dondz said:
They said the alternator is fine....
A few yrs ago I was experiencing a drain problem. Took the Asian vehicle to Sears for an alt test. Said it was fine. I started into tearing the dash apart checking diode packs, and then decided to have the alt tested by an alt rebuilder......a diode was bad. So the question of the moment is do you have absolute faith in the competency of the one who told you the alt was good??

A competent electrical shop or someone who knows his stuff using an amp meter whose scale can read less than half an amp, can diagnose a battery drain condition and isolate the circuit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might want to change your battery also. The fact that it has gone dead so often in such a short space of time, the battery may need changing now. The charge has to be somewhat low.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.