Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, as I was driving, my car just stopped. I pushed it over to the side of the road and started to diagnose the problem. It turns out that the engine wasn't getting any gas. I then checked the fuel pump fuse and it was burnt. I changed the fuse and the car started up and I was able to get it home. Now this morning I try to drive the car and the fuse burns out again. I changed the fuse four more times after that and they all burnt out after I had driven the car a few feet. Prior to this problem, every time I hit a bump in the road, my horn would go off, my right turning signal would light up on the dash and my left HID bulb would flicker (all this shit when I hit a bump but not all the time). Now I have the fuel pump issue to add to the list.

Now, all of these problems started after I changed my wheels and tires from 16" wheels / 205/55/16 to 17" wheels / 225/45/17. For some reason after I made the change my Konis and Eibach suspension became a little more bouncy on bumps and it's like the suspension has more room to travel up and down. I think my problem is that with the extra suspension bounce and travel, something is hitting up or rubbing against some wires.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/ /><o:p></o:p>

</o:p>
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I found a group of wires in the front of the car, to the right of the overflow tank. If you pull up the tank you can see a group of wires rapped up together. Can any one tell me what these are for? Mine look a little beat-up.[/SIZE][/FONT]
<o:p></o:p>
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Thanks[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Rob[/SIZE][/FONT]

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Sounds like a ground problem to me. Have you tried testing the fuel pump electricals? There is a HELM service manual and a fuel pump thread with instructions (search on here) and I'd start with either checking or replacing the grounds on the car (you can get ground wire kits) altough it might be as simple as tightening all the groud wires you see in the bay/front of the car. Do you have a pic of these wires near the overflow tank? I'm not near my car now, but I don't recall seeing a group of wires near the tank, just headlight harness I think, but I'd have to look at the car this evening to confirm.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
The bundle of wires in the front by the overflow tank are a part of the whole engine compartment wire harness. This includes all wiring to headlights, main fuse box, radiator fans, small fuse boxes, etc. You can see that harness in my signature below.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
ohh those wires, *duh*:lol: Well OP, check your HID wiring and make sure all the connections are tight, if they're not ten every time your bulb is 'flickering' it might actually be turning on and off very quickly. Every time it turns on it draws 70W through the 55W headlight wiring harness (did you upgrade your harness w/relays etc when you installed the HID?) and that might lead to your fuses blowing more often. I still think it might be a ground issue because so many electrical systems are simultaneously affected.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done any real testing yet. I'm just trying to gather different theories before I start. I do have a grounding kit installed but I will be checking to make sure all grounds are tight.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

<o:p>Thanks</o:p>
Rob<o:p></o:p>
Sounds like a ground problem to me. Have you tried testing the fuel pump electricals? There is a HELM service manual and a fuel pump thread with instructions (search on here) and I'd start with either checking or replacing the grounds on the car (you can get ground wire kits) altough it might be as simple as tightening all the groud wires you see in the bay/front of the car. Do you have a pic of these wires near the overflow tank? I'm not near my car now, but I don't recall seeing a group of wires near the tank, just headlight harness I think, but I'd have to look at the car this evening to confirm.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bundle of wires in the front by the overflow tank are a part of the whole engine compartment wire harness. This includes all wiring to headlights, main fuse box, radiator fans, small fuse boxes, etc. You can see that harness in my signature below.

Thanks for the pic. Once I saw the pic I started to develop another theory in my head. I think that the group of wires that I mentioned may be the problem. My car was hit on that side and my fender was mangled. Maybe the fender and wires are some how touching whenever the car hits a bump or uneven pavement. I believe that the wires at the side of the over flow tank run through the side under the fender to the fuse box inside. Somewhere along that path there may be damaged wires from the hit. I'll check that as well as the grounding wires.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

Thanks <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wire harness runs from the interior fuse box under the fender attached to the frame in by the overflow to the main fuse box under the hood, then in front of the car to the other side and back under the other fender to the ECU.
Thanks for your help.

Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wire harness runs from the interior fuse box under the fender attached to the frame in by the overflow to the main fuse box under the hood, then in front of the car to the other side and back under the other fender to the ECU.
Thanks again for your help. I believe I found the problem. As I was attempting to drive home I decided to stop and look under the fender to check those wires and when I got out of the car I saw smoke coming from under the fender.The plastic zip tie or clip that holds all the wires up under the drivers side fender broke and the wires are being shredded by my tire. There are two separate wires and one big bunch of taped wires under the fender. Within the big group of wires, it look like a green wire is shredded realy bad. The two separate heavy guage wires are not shredded but some of the plastic has burned off and the metal is showing. Now I have to figure out the best way to fix this problem.

Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are two other wires running under the fender. Do you know there purpose?

Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I'm thinking maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket amp and maybe thats the wires.

Thanks
again

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
^^ That might be the cause of your problems too...the amp wiring ^^

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ That might be the cause of your problems too...the amp wiring ^^
Maybe.

I'm going to get under there this weekend and start taping the wires up.

Thanks
Rob
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/ /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Do you know if there is any horn wires mixed into this harness? The other day my horns when off by themselves and I couldn't get them to stop. I had to pull the fuse. Now, to shift gears, I have to use a spare key to shift the shifter because when you pull the horn fuse it stops the car from shifting. I'm hoping once I fix the harness under the fender, everything will go back to normal.

<A href=http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/please-help-horn-problem-119691/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts