Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok friends.

I officially need a beater.

I was thinking 1 of three cars. Preferably the manual transmission variety of these:

Geo Metro (i know, i know, death trap, whatever, ok cool)

Honda Civic

Nissan Sentra

What cars out there, preferably like 1988-1993 are worth my $$$, I'm going to be driving a LOT this spring/summer and I need another car to do my trips with. I'm trying to go for 30-40-50 miles per gallon territory. I know most of these cars are super small and nothing like a Legend, but bear with me, it's for a purpose (also, to let my 6speed relax a bit, I dont wanna be driving it everyday, and I want to baby it more, since I'll have a garage where I'm moving to)......

Any ideas?
If you want, post links of stuff you see. I saw a 92 Sentra, 69k on Ebay in Wisconsin that looks promising. It's an automatic, but 1 owner. I'd definitely want something that looks like it was well taken care of. No salvage cars. Anyone?

·
Registered
629 Posts
don't know exactly what ya looking to pay Jose, but I'm partial to VW's

I had an '87 VW Golf Gt, loved it. Bought it for 1500 with 127,000 miles on it.I learned how to drive a manual trans with it. About the most solid car in those years I've ever driven/been in. Check out the years of 88-92 Golfs and Jettas. The 8 valve motors are bullet proof, the 16 valves are to a lesser degree. For example in today's Washington Post

'92 Jetta GLI(16V) 5spd, 4dr, 10 cd changer, A/C, Non-Smoking, Alarm, immac condition, Red, $2800

If you want I could give you the number of the place that I got all my work done on my VW. Its owned by this old German dude that don't play when it comes to the cars.

As to the other cars:
Look for a Swift Gt/GTI, those have a 100hp 4cyl
Sentra SE-R or Infinity G20, both have the SR20DE
And of course Civic Si/EX ya know

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FutureX 2001 said:
What happend to the G1 Jose?
It's up in Boston, I will drive it to VA and use it as a beater, but sell it ASAP afterwards, as I want to get a "real" beater, not beat on a Legend. (Like I said, I only get like 21-22 mpg from Legend) and I want to get in the neighborhood of 30-40-50 mpg.

Civic CRX HF seems to be the clearcut winner right now.

-Jose

·
Registered
655 Posts
go with the crx or 92 hatchback

i see them for like 2g all the time, the corolla are veruy reliable too, also you can get a geo prisim very cheap and its just a rebadged corolla

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'd say Corrola, or Civic.
Or how about a Diesel Volswagon Golf. They get like 40 mpg's I believe.

Just don't get the Geo Jose, pls don't get the Geo. :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
jose3030 said:
Ok friends.

I officially need a beater.

I was thinking 1 of three cars. Preferably the manual transmission variety of these:

Geo Metro (i know, i know, death trap, whatever, ok cool)

Honda Civic

Nissan Sentra

What cars out there, preferably like 1988-1993 are worth my $$$, I'm going to be driving a LOT this spring/summer and I need another car to do my trips with. I'm trying to go for 30-40-50 miles per gallon territory. I know most of these cars are super small and nothing like a Legend, but bear with me, it's for a purpose (also, to let my 6speed relax a bit, I dont wanna be driving it everyday, and I want to baby it more, since I'll have a garage where I'm moving to)......

Any ideas?
If you want, post links of stuff you see. I saw a 92 Sentra, 69k on Ebay in Wisconsin that looks promising. It's an automatic, but 1 owner. I'd definitely want something that looks like it was well taken care of. No salvage cars. Anyone?
If you're looking for something to last and something that is reliable then I'd go with a Civic followed by the Sentra and I'll pretend I didn't see the Geo Metro listed.

You might also want to add the CRX to your list if you're interested in good gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
240SX 240SX!!!!!! Get a hatchback!!!! Then you can:

Drift it into your friendly ATM teller's parking lots
Drift it around McDonalds to get your order in the drive-thru
Drift it into ANY parking spot
Drift it aound every corner, any time, anywhere...

... and don't forget... JUST PLAIN DRIFT IT!!!!

I've seen several older 240's for around $1000-$2000 in good condition... those things last forever on the KA24 motor...

·
Registered
142 Posts
92 nissan sentra

If it weren't for some drunk idiot in a 4 runner going 60 down my street and plowing into it while it was parked in the middle of the night, id still have that car as a beater.. Bought it for 2 g's (4 years ago) and i put 70 k problem free miles on it. I say sentra becuase they don't tend to keep their resale value as much as civics or corollas, and I believe they are just as good (serve same pourpose)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: 92 nissan sentra

LIVING_LEGEND said:
If it weren't for some drunk idiot in a 4 runner going 60 down my street and plowing into it while it was parked in the middle of the night, id still have that car as a beater.. Bought it for 2 g's (4 years ago) and i put 70 k problem free miles on it. I say sentra becuase they don't tend to keep their resale value as much as civics or corollas, and I believe they are just as good (serve same pourpose)
That benefits me, in my quest. (Getting like a Sentra)

I dont want to pay $2500 for something that I can get a $1200-1500 car to do.

Take me, bring me.
Save me money on gas and insurance.

I'm gonna have 2 cars. I might as well get something that's saving me on insurance and gas, while still takin my silly ass to work. :) Nothing compares to a 6speed, but, hey, you gotta baby the car too, if you want it to last.

-J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.