Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just driving along just after leaving for work I noticed something strange in the pedal like there was a block it was harder to press at one point.I tried to push past it and when i did the engine suddenly died. I pulled over tried to start and nothing. It isnt turning over but the electrical is fine. It just wont go.

Its presently parked on the side of the road so any responses will be appreciated.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Do you feel slack in either of the cables? Also if it's not the throttle cable but in the body itself (the spring that moves the metal piece at the end of the cable for eg)?

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
I'm a little confused as to whether the starter is running and the engine is not firing or if the starter doesn't "turn over" at all, as in merely clicks. Not sure if I'd be able to offer much help either way, but which is it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
would the starter be the cause of the car turning off tho...

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
My initial thought then is your main relay, do a search on that, read up on it and see if that describes your situation. There might be info on that in the FAQ section, I'll see what I can dig up for you too.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
And your pedal feels normal now? This is strange indeed. Do G1's have an ECU reset procedure? Not even sure that would help. Does it feel like it's getting fuel/air and just not catching? If so, then it might be the butterfly valve inside the TB might be gunked up and/or broken and thus not letting air in for combustion? Maybe it was sticking (causing the stiff pedal) and then broke and so now won't let in air and so no start?? Just theory at this point. Get someone to pump the gas pedal and check if the valve is moving normally...

EDIT: Just saw the updates...you might have a double whammy of main relay/butterfly valve perhaps...

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
In my experience, before the main relay totally stopped working, my car would randomly lose power for a second. Scarily enough this seemed to happen at like 55mph usually. It would feel to me like the gas pedal suddenly got hard, the car would even jerk, as if I dropped the clutch, then resume normally. Luckily, my main relay went kaput on me in between starts, one night after work, it was like, nope. Hahaha. I don't know about G1s, but with the G2s, when you turn the key, to the on position (not start) your should here like 3 clicks, which are the main relay, fuel pump, and ... something else. If you don't hear a few good clicks, I'd think thats what it is.

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
I'm not gonna go as far as to say the main relay caused the stiff pedal, but I did experience a similar symptom. Basically when the main relay goes, the car could just suddenly die on you, you'd lose power steering, brakes, etc., so yeah it could feel pretty awful.

For the G2s the main relay is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel, you have to remove that part of the dash under the wheel to get to it, but you can probably see it, without removing that. I would assume the G1s have it in a similar location, but we know what happens when you assume...

Do a search for main relay, its a common problem so you'll find lots of threads, my computer here at work is pretty gay, so I'm having a little trouble or I'd link a good thread up here for you. Its by MikeDiaz and I believe its stickied somewhere.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.