Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. Here's the deal:

I currently have a '92 Acura Legend LS...very nice. It (I guess I have never really named her, kinda sad :( ), it has 151,000.....no real problems, probably needs another alignment, some reg. maintenance, blower (w/ AC sounds like leaves are in it - seems I need to just clean it out)...that's about it.

I am getting concerned w/ high miles and my father-in-law wanted to get a new car so he sold me his '95 Nissan Maxima GXE....no sunroof, no leather, it's suspension down right sucks compared to the Acura, but it has only 98,000 miles compared to 151k.

The purpose of this change was to get a reliable car with less miles for another year or two - until maybe a TL purchase - don't know, but, my quandary.......

Which car? Acura by far nicer - goodness :D ! by far!! But I'm worried about the miles over the next 50k or so, and I don't want to shell out many dollars for upkeep.....

They both are in my drive...so my indecision is REAL TIME!

Everyone's feedback would be GREATLY DESIRED!!

G

·
No doubt about it, the Acura Legend is much nicer. I have a 1994 coupe with 153000 and not a hitch so far. As long as you have kept, or the previous owners kept good care of the Legend then you shouldn't have any major problems for a long time if all goes well. I bought my car from someone that I know takes amazingly good care of cars, so I'm not worried at all. That would be a really good thing to base it on though. I couldn't stand switching from a Legend to a Maxima GXE anyways; the Legend is just so much nicer.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey bro

all I gotta say is.
I have a G1 with 190k miles.

The car is bulletproof, mechanically.
Just baby the car , in terms of maintenance, way more than you would a newer car.

This is what I had done and all I can say is, that my father, who has been dealing w/ cars for over 54 years, told me ...

"I cant even hear when I turn it on! You've done wonders to this car"...

I say keep the Legend, but do maintenance like it's your job (to be on the safe side, that is, I tend to believe that the stuff that happens to our cars comes from not taking care of the maintenance stuff when you have the chance to)...

Maximas are ho-hum. See them everyday on the road. But Legends, Legends are Legendary. Point blank.

G

·
What do you mean by maintenance stuff Jose, and wow, you posted literally like a second after me on that last one. Right when I was shot back into the thread your post was already below mine ;).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff, guys thanks. I can make it my second job...to maintain maintenance! My only concern might be what maintence may be required, but only time will tell that. I'll keep up with all the other stuff that normally should be done.

Thanks again for the posts. :D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
same wavelength!? :)

SpeedDemon said:
What do you mean by maintenance stuff Jose, and wow, you posted literally like a second after me on that last one. Right when I was shot back into the thread your post was already below mine ;).
Hey man,

Well, in my case, the previous owner of my G1 was my sister and she NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR took care of the car. It's evidenced by the car's paint and by its lackadaisical interior.

I figure, if I can just do my part and maintain this car the best of my ability, I'll be all set. However, a lot of the repairs I did were mileage / maintenance related, unfortunately.

side gasket seals
oil pan gasket replaced
timing belt / water pump @ around 170k.
tranny fluid replaced 3x
running smooth synthetic mobil 1 oil through car.
properly filling tires / rotating tires
fuel filter
replacing bosch plugs w/ NGK plugs per recommendations
(generic tune up type things, wires, etc..)

All I can say is, that I used to get 24 mpg on highway trips, and this was an automatic. I once got 25-26 mpg... (Unheard of)... on a trip to Atlantic City, going like 80 mph the whole way....

I now have a 6speed coupe, but to be honest, I dont wanna sell my baby. If anything, I know that i have a reliable car that's been taken care of, at least.. you know? I'll always have that. The paint can go to hell... it's the engine that takes u from point a to point b.....

besides, are maxima forum members as friendly as legend forum members? I THINK NOT! :) (by the way, I needed that G1 in my life, to teach me little lessons as to what to do and what not to do to properly take care of a car)...

G

·
I have a friend who has a maxima though and he loves it, and has heavily modified it. It's only a '92 though I believe. If I can find any pics of his car I'll post them, he always is talking though about how he wishes he has a legend. I think that's probably why he likes working on my car so much ;).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 92 with 172,500 miles on it and since 130,000 I have changed: front brakes, lots of tires, struts, fuel filter, lots of oil filters, cv boot, clutch, plus some performance things that didn't need to be changed. This is a pretty short list for a car that old, especially since I drive the hell out of it, and you don't even have to worry about the clutch. I'm sure that if you keep the Maxima you'll pay that much even though it has less miles on it. I'd say definately go with the Legend.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
question..?

Fun92 said:
I have a 92 with 172,500 miles on it and since 130,000 I have changed: front brakes, lots of tires, struts, fuel filter, lots of oil filters, cv boot, clutch, plus some performance things that didn't need to be changed. This is a pretty short list for a car that old, especially since I drive the hell out of it, and you don't even have to worry about the clutch. I'm sure that if you keep the Maxima you'll pay that much even though it has less miles on it. I'd say definately go with the Legend.
"a lot of tires" =

wrong camber or anything related with lowering your car?
bigger tires?

that's what it sounds like.. /

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
I still love my maxima. It was a heavily modified 96 SE. I have had 3 maxima's before. All ran well over 200,000 Miles with nothing more than oil, tires, body work (accidents). All these were SE's. The one you are looking at sounds like a stripped GXE. Now I do drive a 92 Legend coup and I love it too. I feel faithful in its reliability, once I get all the redline and 10K of mobile one. It is a hard call. I think you need to find a Maxima that closely matches your legend in options, and see what you think then. There are more Maxima's, but there are a lot more parts for them too! It all comes down to how you feel about your cars current condition, and which one you like best!
Later
Lee

·
Registered
139 Posts
to jose3030

a lot of tires = I drive like a bat out of hell, and then some. the most I've ever gotten out of a set of tires was 17,000 miles. When I lived at home I would usually get around 7-8000 miles out of a set. I don't think I could slow down enough to make them last longer, it just wouldn't work. hehe :D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Re: to jose3030

Fun92 said:
a lot of tires = I drive like a bat out of hell, and then some. the most I've ever gotten out of a set of tires was 17,000 miles. When I lived at home I would usually get around 7-8000 miles out of a set. I don't think I could slow down enough to make them last longer, it just wouldn't work. hehe :D
so "loco racing" isnt just the rims.
it's an embodiment of Fun92. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
precisely. for some people just going from point A to point B is okay, but I have to have some fun along the way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, just love it. I can't stop thinking about it. Again today I drove to work and I took the Legend...I enjoyed the drive, as I always do. When I drove the Max for 3 days...let's just say I wasn't happy.......

On the Max Forum, I get...the Legend is nice, if it's working keep it...sound like a NO BRAINER to me.

"keep the LS...U will kick yourself" I hear ya Thai!

Sleeprlegendcp...I know, comparing a GXE to LS is apples to oranges, and since that's the only option....

jmckell...I was asking $7100, then as used cars flooded the market I had settled to about $6200...someone called last night about the car and I was like, I doubt I'm selling it, I'll call you back if I am...the guy was like HUH! It was funny.

Thanks for the feedback guys...I'll let you know the ultimate outcome...soon...Love the Legend though, love the Legend!!!! :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Keep the Legend... I bought my Legend at 201,000 Kms and now have 216,000 kms on it... It runs BETTER than when I bought it (probably because I've blown all the Carbon out of it)... I shift at 5,000 RPM or over.... The car WILL last !!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts