Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this message in the For Sale/Wanted section under the group buy #2 message...no help there so far, so I was hoping someone from the G1 forum could help me out.

-------------
Hey. I'm still pretty new to these forums, so I'm still bubling with questions...hehe. I'm
have just about made up my mind on ordering the Bilstein/Eibach set-up, but I have some
questions I'm praying some one could answer about G1's...

I'm fully confident about the handling improvement over stock, but I've built up some
concerns about it ruining the car in the long run. With a mild drop of the Eibach's, will I wear
out my tires much quicker (nobody makes camber kits for G1's), and, where the heck can I
get an alignment with a drop kit? I've been told by such places as Sears they won't align
lowered cars, so I guess only peformance shops will take me in?

Thanks in advance for your help; I really really don't want dump over 600 bucks into a
suspenion upgrade that's gonna screw me later.

-Ryan
89 Legend L sedan

·
Five- O
857 Posts
regarding the alignment I wouldn't go to ones of those chain stores (sears,mavis etc), I find that they NEVER do it right. I find them to be the fast food of car mechanics. Just go to a local mechanic and ask. I don't see why they would have problems b/c the drop is only about 1 inch. It's not like the car is going to be slammed, Legends have alot of wheel gap anyway.
My mechanic told me that he can do the alignment, and he doesn't have any extra special equipment designed for lowered cars.
I'm installing my eibach/KYB set up this friday. I going to remove all 4 shocks/springs and then bring them to my mechanic so he can compress the old and new springs for me.
From what I hear from the other guys since the drop w/ the eibachs is only 1 inch the camber will not be that far off spec that tire rotation can't take care of.

But either way I can let u know how my alignment goes. I'll probably get it done next week.

Esti

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips esti, hope your suspension project goes well. i'm just waiting on a reply email from LegendMS so i can confer my order for the bilsteins and eibachs.

also, thanks in advance for letting me know how the alignment turns out.

C25A1guy- well, i've searched for a few months now and it seems nobody makes a camber correction kit for legends. however, if you take a look at some of the legend sedans (89 and 90's from the legend temple site) that are dropped pretty low with suspension techniques, their cambers don't really look all that off. so maybe there's one available, maybe not. i'm not sure.:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 90 LS Sedan, and I've had 3 different aftermarket suspensions over the past 3 years. I switched out the stock suspension in the spring of 99 - put in Eibach Pro Kit with Tokico HP shocks/struts. This was the smoothest suspension I owned, the setup was firm but ride quality rivaled stock. Even with 17" tires and lo-pro's bumps did not bother this setup at all.

In the spring of 2000, I decided 1.25" inches was not low enough, so I bought the Ground Control Adjustables. My car was slammed (usually about 2.5-3"), but the car bounced like hell, and I couldnt keep it from bottoming out constantly. DONT BUY THE GROUND CONTROL! I refuse to sell anyone my ground controls because my experience was soo bad.

After 1 season of hell with those, I bought Intrax (1.75") and a new set of tokico's for the spring of 2001. I rode on that setup all last season and loved every moment of it! The car rides real smooth (not quite as smooth as the eibach's), but it handles incredibly and I never, ever bottom out. The car looks alot better with the extra 1/2" lowering over the eibach's. The intrax/tokico setup is the best combo of performace/ride quality/looks out of the 3 aftermarket setups I tried.

I steered away from Bilstien and Koni's because they were about double the price, and from my experiences in other cars, cannot rival the ride quality of the Tokico's on a rough road (I do live in New Hampshire).

If you go with the eibach's, dont sweat the camber - I did have some unever tire wear due to the slightly negative camber with the eibach's, but nothing serious, my 17" Nitto tires lasted almost 2 seasons anyway. When my car had ground controls in (it was down about 2.5-3" ) i burned through tires. With the Intax (1.75") my tires still last more than a season.

As far as finding someone to install the suspension - It's a very easy job, almost any mechanic will agree to do it.

Anyone with 1G suspension questions, ask me....I've had them all!

Chris
[email protected]

·
Five- O
857 Posts
ok I finally installed my eibach/kyb setup last weekend.
The ride quality is really good, not harsh at all- very close to stock. The only draw back is that since the front wheel well is gap is huge- the car seems to sit lower in the rear then in the front.
The only other problem i'm having is since the offset on my 17 inch wheels is soo low (+35) the rears are scraping like crazy on the inner lip of the fender. I thought about getting my rear fender rolled but after looking at them closer I don't think that it would be enough. Soo since I love the look of my rims and don't want to spend the money on getting new ones with a higher offset- I'm planning on leaving the front eibach's on, and replacing the rears with stock height springs. I'll keep the rear springs and reinstall them when i get new rims in the future.

Does anyone know if they make stock height performance springs for the g1 coupe or am I stuck just with the OEM ones?

ohhh I haven't had my alignment done yet- I'm waiting untill i change my rears

Esti

·
Registered
42 Posts
For obvious handling reasons, I would not recomend switching to the OEM springs in the rear and leaving the Eibach's in the front. This setup will also not look good, and make the car's weight lean to the front. You will create a weight distribution that is largely favored to the front (especially considering the bulk of the weight already is in the front because it is a front engine vehicle. This would not create favorable performance conditions for the car....and I would hope performance is 1st and foremost.

Try rolling the fender, see what happens.

As far as finding performance springs with stock ride height - I am almost positive you wont find anything of that nature.

Chris

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris-

that was one of the most informative posts i've ever read for G1 sedan suspensions. THANKS! its also a great contrast to this guy: http://forums.prod.legend.org/first/msgs/7482.phtml. what other upgrades have you done? sounds like you've done a lot of tuning.

I think I'm still going to go with Bilstein since tokiko's are impossible to get (stopped production) and KYB's are rumored to bust after awhile (hope this doesn't happen to you Esti). So, Bilsteins seemed like the next best step up with a lifetime warrenty. IF Gil from LegendMS comes through, I'm supposed to get them for $390.

As far as springs go...I would much rather get the intrax, but it would be more for looks (which would end up getting me RECON tickets from cops). I'm hoping the eibachs will look barely noticable. Also, I don't to risk eating up tires too badly w/ a negative camber (as it sometimes does on g1's).

·
Registered
151 Posts
My $.02 worth

I just wanted to relay my experience with suspension. I have had an aftermarket suspension on my 88 coupe since 1989. The Eibach Pro Kits that I installed in 1989 are still the same ones that brought me to work today. Not sure if I should change them or not.

Anyway, shocks. I originally put Tokico shocks on when the Eibach's went on in '89. They were wonderful. The height of the car with the package was perfect, and the ride quality was VASTLY improved over stock.

About 5 years ago, I put Bilstein Gas shocks in (they were the latest and greatest at the time) and the ride quailty was noteably better over the Tokico's....especially in long, hard corners (like a round about, getting on a freeway). The ONLY drawback of the Bilsteins over the Tokico's is that they raised the car back up about 1/2 an inch or so. That sucked. I miss the lower ride height of the Tokico's. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with the Bilsteins. They are SWEET for the handling of the car.

Not sure how to lower it back down that 1/2 inch though.

-FurBall
88 Coupe
88 Sedan
94 6 Speed Coupe
91 NSX

·
Registered
42 Posts
LegendHI -
They stopped production on the Tokico's?? I just bought a set last fall. They show that they have them at Options Auto Salon www.optauto.com They have the fronts prices at $70 per, and the rears at $67 per. Which is about the average price I have seen -> $274 + shipping. I have had a few very good experiences with this company...probly my favorite mail order company.

Cops harass people for lowered cars where you're from?? They definitly wont bug you about the Eibach's - the car won't look low, but it will look "right" - less of the huge fender gap of G1's. I wouldn't say my car looks rear low with the intrax either. The ride quality of the Eibach's was a bit better than with the Intrax, but I'm not sure if it would have been as smooth if I had Bilstein's rather than Tokico's - Bilsteins are definitly more firm. Camber will almost be a non-issue with the Eibach's...your unever tire wear will be minimal.
Either way you will have a great all-around suspension that you will be happy with, and the cops won't be all up in your business about it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips Furball and Chris, they were MUCH appriciated. Well, if I can get a good price on the Bilsteins, I'm going with them. Apparently, if they don't happen for me, Tokiko definetly sounds like the next best bet.

Chris, what other types of tuning did you try? have any pics of these different set ups? Oh, I remember you said the GC's were awful...couldn't you have adjusted the coilovers to make equal fender gaps (one finger each) to make not so damned low? I thought thats what made GC's for the G1 legend so great, since the sedan fender gaps are so different from front to back (like 5 inches stock in front and 2 inches stock in back). Hypothetically, you could set the front springs lower and the backs a little higher to get an even "looking" ride height..., plus with eibach's they shouldn't be too bouncy. Just wondering.

Furball, if would be great if you could share any visual media on your set-ups as well.

Otherwise, both of you have been a lotta help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
LegendHi-
U actually brought up the worst point about the Ground Controls. When I had the rear springs adjusted as low as they would go and the fronts adjusted as high as they would go, the front was still a bit lower. No matter what I did, the front was too low. I couldnt get the front any higher than about 3" below stock ride height. This caused much of the bottoming out, not to mention the huge weight distibution to the front of the car. With the Ground Control's I tore much of the front plastic skid cover under the car, and blew my Tokico shocks. I am convinced that these springs were not made specificly for the Legend, but for a 91-93 Accord, with the same suspension setup, but didnt account for the added wieght of the V6 over the 4 cylinder in the Accord (the V6 wasnt available in the accord until the next generation starting in 1994).
Also, even though the springs were Eibach springs, they are nothing like the Eibach Pro-kit springs I had in my car, and many people have in their Legends. The eibach springs in the Ground Control setup are much shorter, much stiffer, and are not progressive rate like the Eibach Pro-kit springs are (meaning there are no soft coils to achieve a fogiving ride over the bumbs.)

I wouldnt sell you my Grounds Controls for $100 they were so bad....and I paid $400 for them. I refuse to sell them to anyone, because I wouldnt want to with that experience on anyone. I wonder if anyone else had a similar or different experience with GC's in a G1.

-chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have pictures of the different suspension setups, not on my computer now though. I will post them when I scan them.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts