Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal - i have comprehensive so i am going to call the insurance.

91 Legend Base Sedan Auto
Of course they took my cd and eq along with some cloths shoes in the trunk. philadelphia. damn i'm mad but good thing i have insurance.

What happen is I think they jammed it out of park without the key inside the unlock hole and it broke the damn thing.

It will only stay in R N D4 D3 D2 D1 and won't go in park unless I push it up really hard.

What needs to be replaced just the shift mechanism?

I just want to know so I make sure I get enough insurance money.

thanks guys.
oh by the way - protect your stuff and take your faceplate with you. i'm buying a factory cd player, no more aftermarket. ERRRR

·
Registered
702 Posts
that's terrible man, same exact thing happened to me...except in addition to all the stereo stuff stolen my intake was also stolen like 4 months ago.

when i found my car it was in D1 also...i guess to give them more room to get stereo out...but i think they did that just simply by putting something in the shiftlock release, so nothing was broken.

luckily you have insurance, and this is definitely a time to be thankful about that...when mine happened, i was uninsured, and that hurt me real bad...didn't get a dime out of it, and had to spend a sh*tload repairing and replacing things...but after that day, i learned my lesson about uninsured driving...never again!

good luck man

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
There is a pin on the shift mechanism which engages each operation. May have bent the pin. Repair is to replace shifter (if insurance is paying) or carefully straighten (DIY).

·
Registered
632 Posts
BUMP... after 3yrs & 8 months...

I have this same problem. My car was broken into and the theives did the same thing to my shifter. It now won't completly go into park. To start the car I must press forward on the shifter then start the car. When I turn the car off, I must press forward on the shifter to get my key out. Can anyone shed more light on what the problem is, and how to fix it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Transmission problem, have a mechanic check on it, could be the transmission mount.
Over time the legend when you shift, at first is smooth from park to r d4 d3 etc...
over time you'll notice a hard shift, from p to r sometimes from d4 to R or to P. I'm not a pro, but i've spoken to a mechanic regarding the issue.

this should be fixable, or replaceable. if i can remember right, parts and labor $120 - $200, and the part is visible only through looking from under your car when it is lifted, and it should be right above the cataylic converter.

this is not to replace the entire transmission, but rather the mount and the shifting complications.

·
Registered
632 Posts
ss812 said:
Transmission problem, have a mechanic check on it, could be the transmission mount.
Over time the legend when you shift, at first is smooth from park to r d4 d3 etc...
over time you'll notice a hard shift, from p to r sometimes from d4 to R or to P. I'm not a pro, but i've spoken to a mechanic regarding the issue.
It is not the transmission mount... Someone broke into the car and forced the shifter to d1 without using the shiftlock release... I don't think that would cause a transmission mount to break... There is most likely something broken right below the shifter....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts