Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just noticed my temp gauge is heading straight up to v high right after I switch the car on - then staying there. The car only went about 100 metres, but the block was cool to the touch - what gives?
Any help much appreciated

r

·
Registered
102 Posts
temp

If you are sure that you are not overheating, that you have enough coolant (esp. inside the radiator), and that your temp gauge and thermostat are working properly..... I would suspect that it is the sender/thermo unit located near the throttle body. This is a $32 part and easy to replace. Let me know if you need more info. I had this happen to me and thought I was going to crack a head.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coul i have cleaned it to death?

I just degreased the entire engine bay on the weekend, and haven't diven the car that much, I was pretty carefull with plastic bags and gaffer tape around the sensitive bits, but is it possible I shorted out and toasted the temp sensor - it looks kind of vulnerable sitting up like that?

Is it possible the little tacker will 'dry out'?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Now that I think about it, I cleaned my engine not too long before my sender went out. But it was at least a couple of days in between the two events. So I would say that it was unlikely that your cleaning shorted it out.

I'm sure that by the time you read this everything will be dry.

When you pull the connector/cap off the sender, are the wires in good condition and is the connection good?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's a coincidence

token7888 - your sender unit went out a few days after a clean too? That may be what has happened to mine? not sure...

I checked the connection to the temp sender unit and it was cactus - the brass was corroded and I put the problem down to this. cleaning it up with wet dry didn't help much.
Called honda - can't buy the connector cap individually - reccommend new wiring harness ($$)
Called local auto elec - put a new connector cap on for free.

Previously the temp gauge read v high on a cold start, after cleaning the connector it read half way on a cold start and read just under the red at operating temp (cooling fan on twice, then a short drive).
After getting the new cap fitted the temp gauge then read a little over half way on the drive home - engine warm, but as I got to the driveway it went up to high.
I'm not sure whether I should replace the temp sender unit or not, or whether the car is overheating
anybody got any ideas?

rich

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Rich,
You can check the sender with a digital multimeter (maybe the guy that fixed your connector can do it if you don't have one). The Helm manual has directions.

When my gauge shot up I was already on the freeway and stopped twice to check the underhood temp. No boiling coolant in the reservoir, the fans didn't come on, and I could hold onto the coolant return hose (for a couple of seconds anyway). Just in case, I ran the heater on high to bleed off heat into the cabin. I don't recommend you run if it is really, really getting hot because warping a head will be $$$$$$.

Like I said, if you think everything else is ok with the cooling system. Check or replace the sender, it's only around $30. By the time a mechanic opens the hood to even take a look, that will be $60 where I live. (I had the thermostat replaced too for peace of mind, but it did not turn out to be broken.)
jy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.